Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Mikeyb123
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery SDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Swift Caravan LED light issue

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help. Collected by new Discovery a couple of weeks ago. When hooked up to my caravan (2016 Swift Challenger), the car isn’t reconginising it’s connected.
    All the lights on the caravan work fine, but the flashing trailer indicator on the dash etc doesn’t function.
    Im aware of the LED lights issue, so I’ve spoken to Sergent and purchased a VLM unit, but when I connected that up, none of the caravan lights work at all. They weren’t much help on which model I needed, as apparently not had an issue with a discovery 5 before.
    Appreciate it’s not a major issue, but just annoys me having such a competent tow car and not have all the features working properly. I can’t be the only one with this car/caravan combo. Seems crazy this problem exists.
    I think the car has a stability control feature as well, so assume this won’t work if it doesn’t recognise its towing?
    Any help/advice would be really appreciated as it’s driving me mad.
    Thanks.
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

There needs to be a certain amount of power draw from the lights on the van so the car recognises the van is attached. In your case, the LEDs don't draw enough power.

A solution could be to add a resistor to one or both of the indicator circuits, essentially simulating a globe.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

The VLM module I had on my swift worked perfectly. If you get no lights at all with it fitted then I would suggest it’s either wired incorrectly (are the plugs all seated correctly in the VLM and the C44 fuse board?) or the VLM is faulty. My VLM was a A4 variant.

Jon
  • Mikeyb123
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery SDV6 HSE Loire Blue

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Spoke to Sargent again and got it sorted. The instructions with the VLM unit only state to use the second wiring connection between the fuse board and VLM if you have ATC installed. As I don’t have that I didn’t connect it.
    Turns out this connection actually supplies the power to the VLM box, so you need to connect it either way.
    You’d have thought the instructions would make this a bit clearer. Hopefully someone else with the same issue reads this and won’t make the same mistake and save themselves a lot of time trawling google.
    thanks again for getting back to me.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum