Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• itsbrokenagain
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Normal SD4 temperature gauge operating position?

Hello all, I have just had delivered a new to me 2017, 2 litre SD4 D5, 40,000 miles, having had 2 D4's, a D3 and series before.

Please can I ask a question to you existing owners about the engine temperature gauge? Please bare in mind that it was delivered to me and this was basically my second drive in the vehicle.

It hasn't overheated (yet) but after a 20 mile mixed drive, A roads and dual carriageway, I noticed that the temperature digital temperature gauge indicator on the dash was moving around up and down much more than I would expect it to, within the lower half of the range. It did not rise above the half way point and at no point was I driving the vehicle hard and did not go above 70.

Please can I ask if this is normal on this kind of display?

I can barely remember the temperature gauge my old 3 litre D4 ever moving much at all.

Many thanks in advance for all your help. I attach a photo taken about 10 minutes after arriving back home.
  • gavinadams
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

My MY19 SD4 temp guide is normally nailed to the middle of the temp gauge even when off-roading,

Even when I had a heat fluid warning level the temp gauge was still in the middle I just needed to top the overflow up a bit.

I would get it checked out.

D5 MY19 HSE SD4 Loire Blue - Ebony seats / Ebony headlining - Dark Satin brushed aluminium trim - 7 seats - Heated and cooled front seats - Privacy glass - Black roof rails - 360 cameras - Capability plus pack
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Same here, comes steadily up to the mid point and stays there

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Whippetman
    England 

Mine too in middle

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

I have a Td6 but my gauge stays slap bang on middle. We were stuck in a traffic jam for a couple hours towing a caravan in 35 degrees in summer 2019, it still didn't move from the middle nor when climbing up to the mont blanc tunnel towing.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Devonian
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si4 SE Carpathian Grey

Mine too goes very slowly up to normal then drops back to cold or anywhere in between if not being driven at motorway speeds
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum