Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 2B
    Netherlands 

D5 on the Ring.. ..from D3 forum

Hi,

I expected it to be posted on this forum, but I can't find it.

Honours to "DG" ...

I wondered if the spedometer is in kmh / mph , but I gues no D5 gets to 200 mph.. Mr. Green

https://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/nurburgring-178722.html

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Bloody hell Very Happy

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

Luckily no blood & hell,

but cheers & bliss.. Bow down

D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Impressive!

That driver knows the ring, even relaxed enough to give a cheeky wave to the trackside photographers as he passes them Bow down
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Impressive for a D5. couple of 'moments' for the driver who I assume must be a regular nurburg attendee .speedo must have been KPH but still quick, I recognised the undesteer Laughing Laughing

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Wow! Shocked

I've been a passenger and/or driven the 'ring several times, but no 'onboard' youtube video has ever had me wincing like I was when I watched that!

The understeer was savage, yet he kept pushing. When he went through Hatzenbach it kind of set the tone. In 2005 I was unlucky enough to witness somebody die at Schwedenkreuz where they touched the kerb at full speed and rolled (they shut the road/track for the day). He, also wasn't wearing a helmet, so that makes me double paranoid when I see people carrying such speed through that section. What got me though was the late braking into Aremberg, that was the scene setter!

The driver clearly knows the track well, and kudos to him for his calmness, but the video to 2 of my friends who are track racers so they have driven there multiple times over the years and are very au-fait with the place. They both said they thought he wasn't in control through a couple of bends and it was only luck that saved him from the armco.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I was on the track with my son in 2018. Dale Lomas works as a testpilot for
    JLR but he also does laps on the Ring. There was an SVR XJ8 that he drove
    around in the rain at the same pace as this D5. I was terrified of the whole idea
    before, but on the way down we already did 200+ on the Autobahn.

Dale was chatting away and I was finally so relaxed that I was laughing most
    of the ride, because of private drivers driving really careful, afraid to spin.

They now do it in an XE SV project 8...

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/experience-jaguar...ience.html

• DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I guess the GT-R was just following him out of curiosity...
  • BSE Disco
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Loire Blue

Did you notice it was a Disco commercial - only 2 electric window switches. Maybe makes the vehicle a bit lighter but probably doesn’t make much difference. He’s a braver (and more skilful!) man than me.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Sorry, I see absolutely no point screaming round a race track in a 4x4.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

possibly not - but like most things in/on a Discovery that dont get used to their full potential (if used at all by a lot of folks) its nice to know that it could.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Blackfly
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Indus Silver

Darras wrote:
    Sorry, I see absolutely no point screaming round a race track in a 4x4.

I sort of agree, butI do believe the Bugatti Veyron has drive to all wheels Whistle I know it will get stuck the minute it goes off tarmac

Last edited by Blackfly on 19th Dec 2020 10:13 am. Edited 1 time in total

F50, Fourtack, LR3 and now..............D5 HSE TDV6
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Horses for courses, a sporty type car, fair enough if someone feels they've got to get it out of their system, in preference to a public road, but a Disco? It’s not the first car that comes to mind when wanting to thrash it round a race track. Just seems all a bit pointless and juvenile, I’d far rather prefer to see it tackle a rock slab or river crossing. Just an opinion.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I think it’s a case of a ‘ring regular taking an unusual car around. Pretty interesting to see how it goes.

But...I agree with Darras on that I would rather see it fording a river or tacking some hefty terrain. When I watch those, I think “my car is awesome”. When I watch it on the Nurburgring, I don’t think that 😂.

But either way, I then fill it with child, wife and mother-in-law for various school run, shopping and urban duties and wish I was getting it muddy and using at least some of its potential!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I tend not to use the D5 much. A couple of hundred miles a month. It must be the most expensive driveway ornament in existence, even then I hide it away out of view. Quite simply, it’s a car, it’s okay, but nothing exceptional. Would I miss it if it wasn’t there? No, a car is simply a way of getting from A to B, you can do that in a 20 year old Banger or a new D5, it’s not going to change the world either way.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum