Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• eelpout
    United States 

option pack confusion for MY21: Towing vs Advanced off-road?

this for the US, maybe same for elsewhere.

I'm spec-ing a MY21, wanted towing as an option and notice there is a difference between the following

Towing Pack ($1150)
    which says includes:

-All Terrain Progress Control (ATPC)
    -Terrain Response 2
    -Advanced Tow Assist
    - Tow hitch receiver

And the
    Advanced Off-road Capability Pack ($700):

-All Terrain Progress Control (ATPC)
    -Terrain Response 2
    -Configurable Terrain Response

for this option, we'd have to add the tow-hitch receiver for $650, which brings the total to $1350

So that makes the latter pack w/receiver added $200 more. Notice that what is missing from the "Towing Pack" is "Configurable Terrain Response."

Does this mean that "Advanced Tow Assist" and "Configurable Terrain Response" are mutually exclusive?? Or is there something else I'm not understanding?

thanks in advance.
  • eelpout
    United States 

this doesn't seem to be getting much traction does it? Wink

for grins, I did a build on the UK site and sure enough, when switching option packs from Adv Terrain to Towing, it says it has to remove Configurable Terrain Response at £220 (the US build tool doesn't itemize). huh, now I'm really curious as to what's happening here. Maybe there is a Pivo Pro issue and limited firmware space to have both features (especially if an emulator is needed to run older towing software).

Odd though that the Defender build seems to able to have both when doing builds.

I'll try contacting JLR customer service and see if they can find out.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Is configurable terrain a new option? Dont remember that being available before except seeing it on the Defender info.
  • eelpout
    United States 

Quote:
    Is configurable terrain a new option? Dont remember that being available before except seeing it on the Defender info.

yeah, it was introduced with Pivi Pro on the Defender. it let's you customize drive parameters and save up to 4 presets.
  • eelpout
    United States 

anyone been able to order Advanced Tow Assist AND Configurable Terrain Response on the same MY21 vehicle in the UK?

Looks like I'm going to have to choose between the two based on what the (US) web build tool is telling me, :/
  • joness7
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 SE Santorini Black

Why don't you phone a US dealer and inquire?

What is/isn't available in the UK won't help you much in the US.

I suspect you have found a feature/limitation of the configurator on the website. Are either feature available as a standalone option rather than as part of a pack?

2019 D5 SdV6 SE Anniversary black/black
  • eelpout
    United States 

Quote:
    Why don't you phone a US dealer and inquire?

my dealer contact is looking into it. I know that their configuration tool is different, so I believe they are going to see if either option can be added in outside of a package.

The interesting thing that the UK site exposed was the explicit removal of Configurable TR when going for the towing pack and a price to go along with it.
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

Mentioned this to my dealer this morning whilst getting an update on my order.

He wasn't aware of this anomoly, but he did say that nearly all spec clashes/quirks are due to WLTP. I asked if it was a safety thing (not having something configurable which could clash with towing) and he said that was unlikely.

The configurator is apparently gospel, as it is run from the same ordering system as their internal platform, so this won't be an error on the configurator.

Confused
  • eelpout
    United States 

FYI. received this from my (US) dealer this morning:

The ordering system does show that the Tow Pack with Tow Assist in not compatible with the Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack (configurable terrain response).

so... what the heck JLR?!

As far as I know, the Defender doesn't have this issue.
  • eelpout
    United States 

Received an official response from the JLR Customer Relationship Center today. We're our of luck on this side of the pond:

Thank you for again reaching out to the Land Rover Customer Relationship Centre. I have again spoken to our Product Planning Team to gain a better understanding of what you are looking at in your build.

What I have confirmed is that you cannot get the Configurable Terrain Response AND Active Tow Assist on a build on the US Land Rover site. As you have confirmed, you can build that on the UK site. It has to do with the ease of vehicle packaging with different markets. Because the vehicle builds can be done in a few weeks in the UK, there are more options available. The specifications vary by market.

We are sorry that we are unable to build the vehicle in your desired configuration. We are always receptive to customer feedback. Please be assured that we have documented your comments and forwarded them to the appropriate parties for review and consideration in future models.

• gavinadams
    Australia 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

What’s the tipping point to consider an SVR config?

D5 MY19 HSE SD4 Loire Blue - Ebony seats / Ebony headlining - Dark Satin brushed aluminium trim - 7 seats - Heated and cooled front seats - Privacy glass - Black roof rails - 360 cameras - Capability plus pack
  • eelpout
    United States 

Quote:
    What’s the tipping point to consider an SVR config?
    I think I can live without the 4 customizable TR presets in the end rather than go through a lot of trouble for a build. Smile

I'm not going to push JLR any further on this and am happy they came up with a response, but this does seem to say it's not just a simple software issue and there is something else going on. The Defender can have these two features together, what is special about the new Pivi Pro system and Discovery that makes packing it more difficult?

Part of me hopes it is just a mistake and it'll be there in the Active Tow Assist Pack (like on the Defender) when the builds start later this year or they'll roll Configurable TR in at a future software release.

(and BTW, I think they made a mistake about the UK build too, I don't think you can put the two items together there either, as Customizable TR is removed when switching from one pack to another)
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum