Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

Spec Opinions

Looking to order one of the new MY21 Disco’s having had a D4 MY12 3.0 HSE for a number of years and wanted to get people’s opinions on some of the options.

Looking at The R Dynamic D300 HSE base with the following options:

Privacy glass
    Black roof rails
    Fixed side steps
    Colour - Santorini black or carpathian grey

The options I’m unsure on are:

Wheels - I like the look of the black alloys but how practical are they? When they get kerbed (which will realistically happen at some point) do they look awful and will they age ok? If going for black, downgrading to 21” wheels will not incur any extra cost but is that going to later effect resale?

Tow bar - the towing pack looks appealing (only really need a tow bar once in a while), is it worth the extra? It also seems to push the car into the next tax bracket unless I downgrade to 21” alloys though.

Any other options people think are worth considering?

Thanks.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Everyone has different tastes and priorities.

Got black wheels, they are fine.

Got a tow bar, why not have a dealer bung one on once you’ve got the car to avoid the next tax bracket.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

As Darras says, it’s personal. I’ve never been a big fan of black wheels and wouldn’t, personally, have them with a colour as dark as Carpathian - I just don’t gel with the murdered out look.

I had silver wheels with my carpathian car and thought it looked very classy. For the replacement - well, I’d loved the look of black wheels with the lighter Eiger grey. So I went for Matt dark grey wheels with Eiger and it looks great. All imho. Get the wheels you want, at least black is an easier refurb than diamond cut.

For options - I wouldn’t be without my HUD, cooled seats, opening sunroof, 360 cameras (some of which may be standard on the new HSE and the new 360 cameras are a massive improvement too. )

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Darras wrote:
    Everyone has different tastes and priorities.

Got black wheels, they are fine.

Got a tow bar, why not have a dealer bung one on once you’ve got the car to avoid the next tax bracket.

The towing pack looks like a good deal. Hadn’t thought of seeing if they could put it on the car afterwards at the same price to avoid the extra tax.

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:

For options - I wouldn’t be without my HUD, cooled seats, opening sunroof, 360 cameras (some of which may be standard on the new HSE and the new 360 cameras are a massive improvement too. )

I debated the HUD but don’t think we do enough miles to really make it worthwhile.

The r dynamic hse comes with cooled seats, 360 cameras as standard I think.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

adds58, if you add the towing pack for £1550, the configurator automatically adds twin speed tcase as well for another £310. If your not going to use car off road, might be better to just have a detachable tow bar on its own. I've got effectively that pack on my 20my Landmark, and as I only intend towing, the only thing that I will use is the electrically deployable tow bar, rest is a waste of money for me but it was a pre built car and one of the last 20my V6d with towbar in country.
    Also I would add a full size spare in place of a space saver.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

I have a D300 R-Dynamic HSE on order. Standard options on it are great, so options I would have to tick on other brands are standard: 360 camera, Adaptive Cruise, Blind Spot, Pan Roof etc. This means I only have to go light on the paid options:

Carpathian Grey
    Advanced Off-Road Capability Pack
    Heated washer jets (a scandal that this is even an option on a car!)
    Heated steering wheel
    Wireless device charging with phone signal booster
    Privacy glass
    Black Roof rails

I would have the 22" black wheels but bizarrely when adding them to a car ticked with the AORCP it pushes it to the next tax bracket of 226.. As you say, you can go down to the 21", but for me that devalues the appeal of the car, so the dealer will be painting my 22's black for me after it arrives.

Tow Bars can be dealer accessory fitted later in life, so I'm not bothering with that, same with the sidesteps.

The only option I am umming & aaaahing about is the wireless charging. I might bin that, but given it's only £7 a month on the finance I'll prob leave it in.

I have until the 12th of Feb to confirm spec before it's locked in, but I'm pretty happy I won't be adding/swapping.

Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

My advise would be to think carefully what you are going to do with the car before you take 22” rims.

I had 22’s on mine, but I couldn’t find any all weather tyres with 3PSF symbol that would work with the 22’s.

Also, if you want to do any off-roading, the 22’s are a “no go”. There aren’t any AT tyres in 22”

I have now replaced my 22’s with 20’s so that I can have summer AT tires (Duratracs) and winter AT tires (General Grabber AT3s)

As for 21” rims... I am not sure what the tire selection is for 21” rims. Might be worth checking that to see that they are not significantly more expensive than 22’s

I had this once before... I bought 21” rims for a Volvo that I had, and the tyres were more difficult to find, so I ended up having to purchase more expensive tires than I would have is I had bought the 20” rims!!

Worth looking in to in my opinion!!
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Windy Miller wrote:
    I would have the 22" black wheels but bizarrely when adding them to a car ticked with the AORCP it pushes it to the next tax bracket of 226.. As you say, you can go down to the 21", but for me that devalues the appeal of the car, so the dealer will be painting my 22's black for me after it arrives.

That’s really strange, ive played around with the build configuration and it looks like the addition of the twin speed transfer box is what pushes it over. Can these be easily fitted afterwards?

Adding an electric deployable Towbar with Any 22” wheels causes the tax to go up but the detachable doesn’t Very Happy but £785 sounds a lot for a detachable towbar!
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

Trevorb1 wrote:
    Also I would add a full size spare in place of a space saver.

Is a full size spare worth the near £1k do you think? We don’t do a huge amount of miles and haven’t ever had to use the spare on the D4 so was figuring I would live with it.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 

Depends what you use car for I guess especially at £1K, I use mine to tow a caravan and I wouldn't be comfortable using a space saver when towing, but if your not too bothered would probably save the money, must admit haven't had a puncture on either D4 or D5, but did suffer one on each of the previous Freelanders.

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

There is a big difference in price of tyres between the 21's and 22,s, so for that reason I will be choosing the 21,s. As for spec I would definitely have the tow pack, heated steering wheel, fridge, black roof rails, privacy and HUD.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

A good point. Towbar would be for bike racks only at this point. Don’t see us towing a caravan so space saver is likely best option for us.

Interesting on the tyres, just checked on kwik fit and assuming tyre profiles don’t change from my20 models then 20” or 21” tyres are about £200 avg and 22” are £300 avg. Big difference!

Anyone know when the dealers will get my21 demo vehicles to look at? Would quite like to see all the updates and test drive it before making my final decision.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 

Given the current lockdown situation and the suggestion it will get tighter, I doubt you'll see anything until at least March.

• Windy Miller
    United Kingdom 

adds58 wrote:
    Interesting on the tyres, just checked on kwik fit and assuming tyre profiles don’t change from my20 models then 20” or 21” tyres are about £200 avg and 22” are £300 avg. Big difference!

Think about how many miles you do, the style/type of driving, and how often you'll potentially need to change tyres. My journeys are 80% motorway and I ran a L494 RRS SDV6 for two years over 19k miles without needing tyres. When I sold it they'd only lost about 40% legal tread. The frequency of you needing to change them won't be high, so you're only going to be changing a puncture etc. IMO £100 a tyre in the grand scheme of things is nothing considering what you might lose at the other end when you come to sell/trade. Another thing to consider is smaller wheels attract a more willowy ride, especially at higher speed. So if you're cruising a lot, bigger wheels will give you better stability and the suspension can deal with the lumps/bumps in the road.

adds58 wrote:
    Anyone know when the dealers will get my21 demo vehicles to look at? Would quite like to see all the updates and test drive it before making my final decision.

When I ordered at the start of December, I was told that they were expecting their demo cars to arrive in mid Jan. At the time I was told mine would be a end of Feb delivery. As you may have seen in my thread, my car has been delayed to start of Apr, so I suspect their cars won't be coming until Mar. I checked on a few other forums and the delays are across the board, not Just Disco, many Defender orders have been delayed by a month. So a 4 month lead time from order to delivery seems to be a more than reasonable expectation given current circumstances.

Smile

2021 D300 R-Dynamic HSE - Carpathian Grey.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum