Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Tailgate Alignment

Hi,

My tailgate is slightly rubbing the bumper/ trim, which I believe is a well known issue. Is adjustment any more complicated than undoing the bolts in the picture and moving it up slightly?

• IndusD4
    Australia 

Mine was adjusted at the dealers as a warranty issue. They also addressed the marks caused by the rubbing, I think that was re-painted.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 

I haven't approached the dealer as i thought body work / alignment issues were only in warranty for the first year?
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Warranty may be different due to local regulations but mine was adjusted at the 2 year service. There's a service bulletin for it which you can see in this section of the service documentation:

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 

Great information, thanks.

Maybe I will contact the dealer!
  • NRich
    United Kingdom 

You only have one year warranty on anything hinged so need to get it done before that just been told this by service Guy Salmon.
  • captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 

Mine is a bit over 18 months old, so probably too late. As far as I can see the two bolts each side are the only possible way to adjust it.

It can't take the dealers more than a few minutes to do it?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Incredible that LR build a car with a known fault and then try to limit the warranty terms.

On my own car, the tailgate only opens if using the outside button and pulling on it - assumed to be because of the alignment issue. It’s booked in to be looked at in March.

If you have any issues with the dealer looking at your 18 month old car, perhaps throw in that occasionally the tailgate won’t open. Then view that as an electrical issue rather than a hinged device issue if they try to wheedle out. Perhaps then they will spend five minutes with the spanners.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’d always quote the Consumer Rights Act 2015. It extends the time limit for remedy to 5 years in Scotland, 6 in England etc. This law supersedes anything LR or the dealership decide is a reasonable length of time.

The only caveat is whilst a consumer can take legal action up to five/six years from the date they bought the vehicle. This does not mean that the vehicle has to last or be fault free for six years; it is the time limit for making a claim in respect of a fault that was present at the time of sale, which for an ill fitting tailgate is fine I’d say .... and the manufacturer and/or dealership have to prove it wasn’t there at the time of purchase rather than the other way round. I’d argue it’s a documented fault which wasn’t presenting physically at the time of purchase, but as time went on, it did, which is entirely consistent and not unreasonable,

If they still stick to their guns, take it to the Ombudsman and/or go legal. Many car or house insurance policies with Legal Services will foot the bill for pursuing that course of action.

As time goes on, I get less tolerant of the negativity you get from LR and their dealerships when you present them with a genuine grievance, so instead of argue, I just go legal, it sorts the men from the boys pretty quick and focus the mind. Just don’t bull s**t, if you say you’re doing one thing, do it or they see it as a weakness and will ignore you.
  • captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 

At a loose end on what turned out to be a pleasant sunny afternoon, I'd thought i'd have a go at the tailgate alignment.

As I thought, it was just a case of loosening the two hex head bolts each side and nudging it up a fraction.

Pushing it up was very easy, however I pushed one side slightly too high, and it is significantly more difficult to get it back down again, but overall its a 15 min job.
  • SGB
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Fuji White

tailgate missalignment

i bought my D5 Sept last year 2020 it`s a 2019 and prior to getting the car i noticed the tailgate was rubbing and had the dealer fix it prior to collection which they did poorly and as a result started rubbing again not long after , anyway took it to my local dealer and although i did not purchase the car from them they realigned the tailgate and painted the area`s that had been rubbing free of charge under warranty as it is a known issue , had no problem with alignment since , but glad you dealt with it yourself i had considered that option but thought why should i it cost enough to buy .

regards SGB Thumbs Up
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum