Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• kevofcov

Help please - Keep my D4 or change to D5

Hi Gents
    Need advice please – this forum has always been good to me and I need you more than ever.
    I have a straight choice now that my car is outside the LR warantee and there are many of you who have done the swop;
    Keep my 2016 Graphite or change to a D5 (same engine)?

Reasons to change
    May get a bit more power if a later model.
    Move back under the LR corp ‘wing’ regarding warrantee.
    Better sound system.
    FBH not limited to 20mins...

Reasons to not change
    I’ve currently got a good one. No faults in five years.
    Looks like a proper Landrover and not like every other car of this type.
    I can do oil and all filter changes and minor/medium repairs myself.

The two biggest bugs with my current car are –
    1) Turbo lag. When braking for an island, you see a gap in traffic and move from brake to thottle and briefly nothing happens – then whoosh too much power
    2) Poor sounds from the sound system.

Can the turbo lag be programmed out? Can the sound system be changed (would be nice if the volume was speed sensitive)?
    My heart says keep it but my head says let it go and move on...
  • Jayd5
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I went from a D4 to a D5, I admit I still love the look of the D4. But the D5 is a better car in almost every way, far better to drive, much better performance and fuel economy and a nicer place to sit. I also like the look of the D5.

2021 D5 Dynamic HSE on order to replace my ‘ageing’ 2018 D5 HSE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

If you’re happy with the D4 and it’s behaved itself, simply keep it. I would.
  • greg-g
    Australia 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Corris Grey

I went from a D2a to a D5, initially the 2017 model and now a 2019.
    The 2017 always had a few small electrical issues that I think were solved just before I changed. (They changed out one of the computers). It also had a sunroof, light coloured seats, and none of the features included in the drivers pack.
    My 2019 has every option I wanted and no extras. Both were SD4's. I've had absolutely no issues and is a great car to drive.
    My only major gripe is that I don't think anyone has managed to access all the onboard computers as the IIDTool has with the D4 meaning your basically stuck with LandRover for almost all maintenance work.
    In the UK this might not be an issues but I can be a long way back to base in Australia.
    Personally I'd stick with the D4, but then I had my D2a for 14 years with absolutely no issues apart from the front drive shaft which is almost a consumable and I could fix myself.

MY19 D5 SD4 SE
  • 33Lurcher
    United Kingdom 

I had a 2016 D4 bought in 2017 with 7000 mls on , when the warranty finished at 3yrs I started getting a bit uneasy hearing stories of broken crankshaft (from D4 forum) .
    I sold it and bought a DS which had no issues at all (previous DS 2016 model) had oil dilution/dpf probs .
    We really regretted selling the D4 (only had 22000 mls ) , had been really useful doing a house clearance and a pleasure to drive .
    Missing the space/driving position in the D4 which wasn't near the same in the DS , we opted for a new D5 , I did look at low mileage run out D4"s but the lack of a good warranty put me off .

Only had the D5 2 weeks its early days , but its a pleasure to drive and as we are moving house this year it will be very useful carrying stuff back and forth .
    If its a good one and you are confident with it then perhaps its a keeper .

2021 D250 S Eiger Grey HSW Privacy Hi/Low Ratio
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Went from D4 to D5 and love it

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

Had a 2014 D4 HSE Lux - kept it for 3 years, great car - not a single problem. Traded for a 2017 HSE Lux - had many problems in the first two years after that OK (after multiple fixes and upgrades). Traded for a 2020 HSE Lux - excellent car no issues so far (1 year in - fingers crossed). 2017 to 2020 was like chalk and cheese.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Re: Help please - Keep my D4 or change to D5

kevofcov wrote:
    Hi Gents
    Need advice please – this forum has always been good to me and I need you more than ever.
    I have a straight choice now that my car is outside the LR warantee and there are many of you who have done the swop;
    Keep my 2016 Graphite or change to a D5 (same engine)?

Reasons to change
    May get a bit more power if a later model.
    Move back under the LR corp ‘wing’ regarding warrantee.
    Better sound system.
    FBH not limited to 20mins...

Reasons to not change
    I’ve currently got a good one. No faults in five years.
    Looks like a proper Landrover and not like every other car of this type.
    I can do oil and all filter changes and minor/medium repairs myself.

The two biggest bugs with my current car are –
    1) Turbo lag. When braking for an island, you see a gap in traffic and move from brake to thottle and briefly nothing happens – then whoosh too much power
    2) Poor sounds from the sound system.

Can the turbo lag be programmed out? Can the sound system be changed (would be nice if the volume was speed sensitive)?
    My heart says keep it but my head says let it go and move on...

Not many D5 with a FBH (mine has) and you cannot set how long you want it to be on. The timer is set for your departure time and it chooses when to start heating based on how long it thinks it will take to reach the set temp. There is a small remote with it that starts the heater for 20 mins, but you need to be within I think it is 300m of the car for that to work, so really only any use at home. Otherwise its use the app to start the engine and leave it idling for 20mins to gradually heat the car (not good for the engine) but upside is its good for cooling it on rare UK hot days. Wish the FBH was controlled from the app.....

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I went from a D3 (via an F-Pace, mistake) to a D5. My D3 was the best car ever.
    Another D3 lover bought it and invested 10k in replacing everything I did not do.

Now it drives like new. The engine and gearbox are still original, now with 380k km.

For me the D3 had a better seating, real 'command view', far less in the D5. Also I find
    the handling more soggy, more "Range-Roverish" , an oil tanker changing course..
    This was worse in the TdV6, so I went for the SD4.

I think the reason is that with the D3/D4 the engine was positioned above the front axle,
    now its slightly ahead, more with the SDV6. Quick direction changes, entering and leaving
    a small roundabout explicitly make you feel that.

I drove my D3 almost like a cart. The D5 is more like a clipper sailing on the high sea..

This is all (very) personal. So I suggest to take an SD4 and a TDV6 D5 (P300 an option?),
    on a long testdrive. Preferably the same route. First with your D4, then the D5's you consider,
    last again the D4. That will make you experience the differences.

I would keep the D4. It runs fine, no issues. Just maintain it well and enjoy... Whistle

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Keep the D4.
    I’ve a D5 and although it’s s ok, I’m underwhelmed by it.
    Fuel economy is better but not much and it’s just a lot of cash for not much extra.
    It’s less practical than the D4.
    I wish I had perhaps gone for a nearly new FFRR rather than the D5.
    Good luck with your pondering.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If you go for a D5, make sure it has adaptive dynamics. Standard on the facelift, I believe, so LR have acknowledged it.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

So what is the importance of that ? You can set the suspension to sports,
    to replace the standard "soggy" setting?

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Facing a £2000 out of warranty repair on my D4 I was persuaded (by the wife) to upgrade to the lovely D5 at the dealers.

2 years down the road I have lost £12000 on depreciation. So not a good decision.£10000 would have covered a lot of repairs /replacements and upgrades making the D4 good as new.

The D5 is a nice vehicle. I’ve described the two vehicles as a big car v a small van (albeit a luxury one).
    The D5 is a little more skitty when towing a large caravan...maybe the lower kerbweight but also the ‘electronic’ steering lag. (It’s easier to over correct in strong winds)

I feel that the software side of the D5 is much more complicated and suffers a lot more glitches. My instinct is “I didn’t have these issues with the D4”.

So, like others have said ....if you don’t need to change, the D4 is still a great vehicle.
  • Qwertyd5x
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

My D4Com was brilliant, my first D5Com suffered dreadful oil dilution despite only long run use. 2nd D5Com is ok, but suffers from bad cabin squeaks and wind noise. The dash also needs to come out to fix the HUD. Overall I’d say get a D5 but make sure it is the 304hp version, do not get the ‘same’ 255hp from the D4, it’s not the same engine! If you drive a lot of country roads definitely get one with Adaptive Dynamics.
    But the D4 was a good machine.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Depreciation is the big one. I reckon I’ve lost on average about £7k a year. I couldn’t recommend buying one. If you do, keep it and get a warranty extension. LRs £1k a year sounds a lot, but it’s a damn sight cheaper than £7k a year, but wait, you’ve got a decent D4 that you could keep.

The other thing is who knows what will happen with the transition from diesel/petrol to electric? It seems to be up in the air tbh.

I know at £7k a year, I could buy a second hand motor and run it for a year, scrap it and but another etc. Makes you think. I am certainly not going to be buying another LR or any other new car after years of chucking my money down the LR drain. There’s more enjoyable ways of spending money.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum