Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Quote:
    I have a friend in the factory at Solihull. Apparently a lot of D5's aren't leaving the lines after a big problem has been identified with the shell. He is saying that the new shell is flexing too much when towing, causing some instability. Im not sure of the full details but he also said its something to do with the new chassis being a monocoque instead of a great big lump of iron!

Page 32 nine posts down
    http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic152836-465.html

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Anyone else in a position to tow with their D5 yet, we need more info to see if there is a real issue to be worried about.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

I will be towing with mine on the 6th April so I will report back then.

Pdes, what is the LR recommended max rear tyre pressure for towing, 50psi seems very high ?
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I agree, I thought 50psi was high but it's the recommended pressure for a full load and the book says to use the full load setting.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Ah ok, would be good too see what the rest of the guys are using tow bar wise, who are also experiencing similar issues with their caravans ??

I got a loan of a D5 Hse 2l on Saturday, complete with an electronically deployable tow ball. Well I hitched up the trailer yesterday and as I have never had a deployable before, I did notice that there was a bit of play in it when shaking it from left too right, nothing untoward though. I had exactly 500 kg / 1/2 a tonne in the trailer and I had no problems whatsoever, no snaking or fishtailing, and was sitting steadily at 60 mph on the dueller. No hiccups, the car did not flinch and the load was evenly distributed. Pulled perfectly. Also it was an unbraked trailer.

I have also used my braked, 4 wheel car transporter too take my car down too the race track, which is a 250 mile round trip. Car weighs 1.5 tonnes, not including the trailer so probably talking 400kg for the trailer and 100 kg for 8 wheels and tyres, plus toolbox, giving 500 kg. That's 2 tonnes in total. Also no problem on the D4. Towed like a dream. No drama whatsoever. Mind you compared too a caravan which is alot higher and which I have never towed, my load yesterday was low as is my car on the transporter compared too a high sided caravan which will also be alot longer. Anyhow I am tempted too take the car transporter with my car for a run on the dueller on the D5 if I get time this weekend. Will be good too see if I will experience similar issues too the caravanners on here?? Hopefully not. Will keep you guys posted with updates. I just hope they don't want the D5 back before the end of the week. Rolling Eyes

Unfortunately am not an owner, but i have been toying with the idea of getting a caravan. However being a newbie I don't have a clue about them apart from 2, 4 or 6 berth and the chemical toilets - yuck Laughing - that's my knowledge in a nutshell am afraid, so any info is appreciated cheers 👍

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 27th Mar 2017 7:12 pm. Edited 2 times in total
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Oops I forgot too upload the D5 photo with deployable towbar Laughing

• pdes
    United Kingdom 

Comment from Alko:

"the systems should work in conjunction with each other, If anything as atc is connected to the Caravan the atc system will react faster than anything attached to the tow vehicle. "

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • B16 KJR
    Scotland 

At least the question has now been asked Thumbs Up
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

I think the chassis is based on the FFRR with the steering from an RRS. I really can't see there being a stability problem inherent in the design. It must be a loading issue in the van. My Vanmaster needs lots of noseweight to get stable and I run at about 130kgs. My Swift Conqueror 645 needed around 100kgs to run true, anything less and it became jittery. Can I confirm you haven't anything overly heavy at the rear of the van to reduce your noseweight do you? I have always loaded my caravan with the heavy stuff down low over the axles and slightly forward. It doesn't alter the NW by much but keeps everything far more stable overall. I don't mean to sound in any way condescending but just can't believe LR would have let the car go without testing the towing ability to death. It's one of it's biggest selling points.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

Fisherman, I agree that it all sounds very strange. I don't think there was much weight on the nose as we left our awning at home. But, what if the van was new and totally empty, it shouldn't be unstable and the Alko ATC, friction ball coupling, twin axle and the LR's wizardry should keep things stable (shouldn't they?).

I did have two bikes on the rack at the back but that's about it for anything heavy apart from the spare wheel which is bolted down under the bed.

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • fisherman
    United Kingdom 

My van is very wobbly without a nose heavy attitude. Seems to lose it's way completely unless weighted towards the front. This along with soft rear tyres on the car has a very detrimental affect on the stability. I had this in France once when my awning slid to the back of the van when leaving the Eurotunnel ramp, together with being a lazy fat Censored and didn't check the tyres and it whipped about to the point I had to stop and re-stow stuff and inflate the tyres to the max. Difference was chalk and cheese. Always check stuff is nailed in place and bought a Ring 700 compressor to do the tyres with. You will notice the difference immediately. Check your noseweight is up towards the max and have another go. I think if the van was underloaded with bikes hanging off the back it could make all the difference.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

Yep, I get the fact that more nose weight might help but I should be able to travel light and not just load weight for the sake of it.

Cheers

Last edited by pdes on 28th Mar 2017 6:19 pm. Edited 1 time in total

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Craigp
    England 

I fully agree with all that fishermen has said however one assume s that the poster has towed similarly set up with the D4 and had no issue's.
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 

CraigP, Your assumption is correct Smile

Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Craigp
    England 

I was afraid you would say that. That's my anxiety level up a notch. Sad
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum