Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• NCTT
    United Kingdom 

2020 side steps and loadspace protector

v excited , ive just put a deposit on 2020 at the dealers , it hasnt got a lr loadspace protector or side steps , any idea what the dealers going to charge me for these ?
    also , while im at it , whats the best gap insurance police out there please guys ?
    any help gratefully received !
  • Discodiva
    Scotland 

I spent too long looking at alternatives to the LR load space protector, then ordered the LR one in the end anyway, I’m very happy with it. Tiny cost compared to the cost of the car...
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

You can get genuine LR accessories off eBay. Just do a search.

As for GAP, it’s a total waste of time. You’re covered for a year from new with most insurances, some include two years with their policies at no extra cost.

Normally dealerships prey on peoples insecurities. With Guy Salmon I got emails from their Dealer Principal saying I was the only customer that month not taking it and what was I going to do with the finance company if there was a shortfall to replace it. I replied, I was a cash customer so that didn’t apply and if it get stolen, then it’s down to me and I’d simply replace it. Wot, did they think I am was skint or something? Might have had a fleece and jeans on that had seen better days, but they obviously missed the expensive accoutrements, wa Censored rs. Never heard from him again.

In my opinion it’s disaster planning for the paranoid who are being ripped off. Besides which one or two of the well known firms that did it went bust with little recompense for their policyholders.

Anyway, whatever floats your boat.

Last edited by Darras on 28th Apr 2021 7:03 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I had deployable side steps fitted at a LR dealer for £1300 a few weeks back. MY17-20 stocks being run down.

Don’t ever buy dealer gap. Use frank pickles or ala.co.uk. The latter with code MSE25 (iirc) for 25% off, Google money saving expert gap discount if the code doesn’t work.

Darras is right, buyer beware. You’re covering a relatively large, in car buying terms, exposure. But in reality for a niche event.

On my first MY20 I had 4 years replacement vehicle gap for around £350. I didn’t bother on my second MY20. Partly because I forgot! Don’t bother with return to invoice gap.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • STOAT
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Scotia Grey

Did the dealer offer the cut-price deployable steps or did you haggle at that price?

Online search for 2017 model tonight is £3k plus fitted.

2017 D5 HSE Grey
  • Whippetman
    England 

On my 7th LR main dealer purchase and to be honest EVERYTHING can be bought and fitted for less after the event.
    Did buy an aftermarket back to invoice 3 year gap insurance on line.for a great deal less than stealer.on my used D5

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Leo disco
    United Kingdom 

I bought the genuine LR steps and fitted them myself. I use the boot protector from my old D3, fits ok and also the D5 genuine quilted cover over the top
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Stoat - it was an email offer from the dealer in January. That I finally took up
    In March.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • NCTT
    United Kingdom 

hmmm lots to think about , i think ill get gap for peace of mind and think about the other bits
    many thanks chaps
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Further to Stoat. The email I received stated rrp of £2826 and offer price of £1500 with a saving of over £1300.

I was surprised to pay only 1300, not 1500 and intended to look back at emails to check - which I’ve finally done prompted by this thread. I questioned whether further discount was possible and was told no. And yet.....

• NCTT
    United Kingdom 

im only looking for standard sidesteps, anyone know what these will be fitted approx ?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

At a list price, they are around £1100 as LR items.

If they’ve changed at MY21, as the deployables have, there may be a bargain to be had by contacting a few parts departments. They will be wanting the shelf space for something current.

Some very good 3rd party options out there (forum search but sidesteps.co.uk rings a bell) for under £500. I would have gone for that if it wasn’t for the insane offer on the deployables.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve had genuine LR side steps and also the ones from www.sidestep.do.uk

The LR ones tarnish and rust, the sidestep ones don’t and are far more substantial, plus no cutting of the plastics.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum