Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• adds58
    United Kingdom 

Dealer Options

Wondered what people’s thoughts were on the following options my dealer is offering:

Complete Wheel Cover - 36 months. £699
    Minor Damage Protection - 36 months. £499
    Williams Racing Ceramic Paint Protection PLUS Interior Protector. £499

We’re normally pretty careful with our cars so not really worried about the first two but am wondering whether the ceramic coating is worthwhile.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

It’s all a huge con. Those prices almost reflect the GPD for a small African nation, Shocked

You’d be paying extortionate prices including a massive dealership commission for nothing.

I would have never used any of the insurances you mention in all my years motoring, each to their own that said.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

I didn’t really see value in the wheel or small damage cover as I couldn’t see myself needing that value of repairs in 3 years if I sorted out on a case by case basis.

Anyone any views on the ceramic coating though? Price doesn’t look that bad but I have no idea whether it’s worth it or more specifically whether the Williams coating is good
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

I have had three ‘details’ done on my disco for that price. Takes a day each time.

The finish my local detailing company get is better than the finish it had when it left the showroom. Plus they clean the interior to the same high standard. If the dealer applies that kind of coating on a poorly prepared surface, the swirls will never go away…

I do tend to have a detail done twice a year, once in spring to get rid of the winter grime and once in autumn to prep the paintwork for winter. But last year I missed autumn as I had time to do thorough and comprehensive clean/protect myself.

In my experience detailing is a better way to spend the cash and still makes cleaning yourself between much easier with better results.
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Worth Googling - there are third party options for the insurances - eg minor dents

I did that last time and never claimed

Just another thought: Our insurance is with NFU Mutual. I understand most insurers pay new value for total loss in first 12 minths, but NFU do that over the first 24 months. Or I think you can get the equivalent as gap insurance through a third party
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

I have a minor repair mobile guys that I have used previously and each time its been around £120 so think I would rather take the gamble on no insurance there.

Talking main car insurance though, do people tend to insure their cars for the retail value in the first year or the price they paid?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Your insurance will replace in year 1, some in year 2.

Still think it’s a waste of money, but then I purchased outright, so if I loose out, so what tbh.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum