Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• KattyM1
    United Kingdom 

67 Reg. Discovery 5 2.0 SD4 SE - Advice please

Hi
    I am keen to buy a 2ltr model of the above which I saw in a Lexus dealership. It is in lovely condition and has only 23000 miles on the clock and I have been offered a fair trade-in price for my Discovery 4 plus 1 yr's warranty. I checked the previous work that had been done on it and it had had a replacement windscreen because of a leak.

However, following a bad experience many years ago with an 4 X 4, I always do the research before I buy a car and I've been reading horror stories about the 2ltr Ingenium engine all day and about problems with the crank shaft/oil dilution/ DPF.

I also had a conversation with an 3ltr owner who told me to stay away from the 2ltr engines and warned me about the windscreen leak and possible future problems arising from the ensuing damage in the electrics.

Can anyone advise me regarding this please - are these issues as widespread as appears? Does anyone know anything about these issues?

Also, would there be any future problems if I go ahead with a purchase outwith the LR dealerships?

Thanks
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

You’d need a crystal ball to be able to tell what would happen with our own cars let alone anyone else’s to be honest.

I know a recent ex LR mechanic who doesn’t rate the 3lt, but does the 2lt. It’s all a bit of a lottery.

Coming on a Disco 5 forum and asking people their opinion about reliability and you’ll get 101 different answers. I couldn’t advise you which car you should get nor suggest what problems you’ll have. The only ones that really know the whole story about faults and reliability are LR and they won’t tell you, mores the pity.
  • KattyM1
    United Kingdom 

67 Reg Discovery 5 Potential Problems Advice

Hi

Thanks for the response anyway. Having had a 4 x 4 that suffered a catastrophic engine failure several years ago, I thought that I'd check anyway.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

It’s a fault that’s not unknown and for me the grim reaper hiding in the background. We all hope it won’t happen, but it’s a possibility that people on here have reported. Unless you have particularly deep pockets, up to £12k-£16k, you need a good warranty and that can be a bit of a lottery. It appears a lot try to wrangle out of their obligations.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

If you tow a caravan or trailer regularly, I would personally recommend the 3 litre. I have had the 2 litre a few times as a loaner and it was running out of puff when towing. Higher revs and a raspier engine note. However if not towing, I would think the 2 litre will suffice. My main gripe was pulling out of junctions and roundabouts with the 2 litre. Mrs also agreed. We were always going to go for the 3 litre, and were sceptical about the 2 litre.

My own opinion is that for such a big, heavy, bulky vehicle, the 2 litre is underpowered. Even my salesman said the same thing. " You would be mad paying £70k for a 2 litre", were his exact words.

Am of the opinion that big is usually better engine wise. I currently am running a 2.5 litre engine in my saloon car which only weighs 1500kg. So having a car that weighs 2,500 kg approximately with a smaller engine was a definite no no.

End of the day as Darras says, it's a gamble with regards to the engine going pop. Been alot more 2l v 3l suffering from engine issues. I would also go to a main LR dealer when purchasing a car, but that's just me, as they will have a far better knowledge of the car if anything did go wrong.

End of the day it's your choice, and everyone has different needs. Just my opinion, as if my mate was wanting to buy a 2l, thats what I would tell him. Just my tuppence worth.

Best of luck 🤞

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Whippetman
    England 

If I was advising a mate I’d be tell them to steer clear of anything JLR! Rolling with laughter

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Well depends how nice your mates are?
    Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • KattyM1
    United Kingdom 

67 Reg. Discovery 5 2.0 SD4 SE - Advice please

Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond to my post.

We decided to leave the 2l after deciding that it was just too much of a gamble.

Take care

Kat
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum