Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 4x4newbie
    United Kingdom 

Which Dashcam & do I do front and back?

Looking to get a dashcam for the car, something discreet, ideally not on the lower dash, any recommendations please and do I do front and rear of car also? Wondered what you lot use please?

Nothing too pricey, thanks.
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

The neatest solution but not cheap. https://accessories.landrover.com/gb/en/di...-dash-cam/

Blackvue is also a good choice and fits neatly to the left of the rear view mirror.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve got a Blackvue, very neat. I got the front and back camera one, but only installed the front. The back camera would have been slightly more involved re fitting and not really necessary tbh. All the action comes from the front normally.
  • 2B
    Netherlands 

I had dashcams since they first came on the market, around 2012. First chinese junk.
    Since the livespan was very brief of those, I stepped up to better quality products.

In our BMW shopping trolley I use this, very dependaple. Never blinked sofar :

https://dashcameras.net/a129-duo-pro/

In my D5 I did not put a 'duo' since its a nightmare to run the thick conecting cable
    from the front to the rear. Bottomline : you don't need it !

I spend a bit more and put a single Viofo 4K on the front and a slightly cheaper model
    inside the rear door. You then only have to run the powerline. I connected it to a
    USB socket in one of the rear cubbies : don't even need a power supply..

Remember when you fit one on the rear door window : give the cable enough slack
    since spreading the flexing over a long piece of wiring will make it less prone
    to breaking or short wiring.

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

JonM wrote:
    The neatest solution but not cheap. https://accessories.landrover.com/gb/en/di...-dash-cam/

Blackvue is also a good choice and fits neatly to the left of the rear view mirror.

See here for a better price on the LR item:

https://www.powerfuluk.com/land-rover-defe...nuine.html

- also has handy fitting video (for Defender)

Sold for Defender but same part number as D5

May be other suppliers - worth Googling for best price Smile
  • nigels888
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I use the blackvue front and rear camera. very easy to install. ran cable just tucked into headlining and rubber
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Did you fix the rear camera onto the rear window and if so how did you navigate the rear boot opening?
  • nigels888
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

as simple as a little loop in the cable and then tuck it into the rubber strip running on the inside of the boot. yes you do see a tiny bit of cable when boot is shut but it is not intrusive

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Road angel Halo dual camera.

Wifi compatible just like blackvue

2K front camera and HD rear camera.

Half the price of the blackvue and records when vehicle is stationary.

Reason I went for this as have purchased several RA products in the past, and all do what it says on the tin.

Definately worth a look at, if on a budget.

Decent images as well, not on par with the Blackvue, but then it's half the price, but miles better than the cheap one I briefly had. You have to pay for quality, plus no doubt the longevity of the unit. Buy cheap but twice. Just my tuppence worth. Thumbs Up

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

nigels888 wrote:
    as simple as a little loop in the cable and then tuck it into the rubber strip running on the inside of the boot. yes you do see a tiny bit of cable when boot is shut but it is not intrusive

Thanks, I did wonder if that was the way you did it. To do otherwise would be an absolute nightmare. Might try and do my rear one in the next while seeing as I’ve got it.

• MURPHY108
    United Kingdom 

This is what I did previously when I fitted the rear BlackVue , no wire visible and no strain on the cable

Once through the rubber grommet between the car body and boot you can get a cable draw (i used 2 long cable ties joined together) down to the hole where the heated screen cable is about a third of the way down the LH side of the boot (the cap just pops off) from there you can push the cable into the gap between the boot trim and glass and mount the rear camera at the top of the rear screen. The cable is only visible where it plugs into the camera.

Advantage for me is I can see the rear camera in the mirror so can see if it is working.

All done in 15 mins with no drilling or permanent mods to the car Very Happy
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, interesting. If it’s easy, I’d try it.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

If you travel in Europe you will find dash cams are illegal in several countries.

For that reason (and cheapness!) I fitted a Nextbase 512....because the camera is removable and simply slides off its mount (which is fitted to the windscreen) and it can be stored out of sight.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Had some spare time. It was no problem. Bit of a pest taking the rubber conduit from the boot to feed the wire, but otherwise uneventful. Don’t suppose I’ll need it but it works.

• 2B
    Netherlands 

Wolfpack wrote:
    If you travel in Europe you will find dash cams are illegal in several countries.

So much for harmonized legislation ...

YES : Illegal in Luxembourg, fines up to € 40.000 !!

Germany : its OK as long as you only use it for insurance purposes

AT : its OK if you only use it for touristic purposes.. IF you drive behind a car, and that
    car pulls up at a house (where that driver lives..), the recording is illegal since you can
    identify the owner..

CH : touristic purposes highly illegal... Rolling Eyes

In Germany, also foto's from people in the street are illegal, like in Portugal.

People have the right to ask you to remove any picture taken from them...

RR P400e hybrid Autobiography 2019 & MX-30 BEV
    D5 SD4 HSE 2018 Corris grey, Black roof/balckpack (SOLD), F-Type P300 Ultra Blue 2018 (SOLD)
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum