Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Keith
    United Kingdom 
    2021 Discovery Td6 SE Santorini Black

Spare Wheel Gap

Hello
    As I only have the space saver spare wheel, it looks a little strange under the rear of the vehicle. Is there an aftermarket inset that will replace any of the wheel options and fill the space?

Keith
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

No, buy yourself a full sized spare.
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

Why would I want to do that? im looking foir an alternative to a spare wheel.

Last edited by Keith on 15th Jun 2021 5:26 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

No problem. Thought you were inviting a suggestion. Your car, do what you want.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Why would you not want to get a full size spare?

I don’t understand the practicality of any kind of insert? Where would it go when you sling your full sized punctured wheel under there.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium
    im looking to do away with the spare. On previous vehciles, given that the fron and rear wheels are different, no spare has been provided at all, just the repair kit. if the tyre is beyond repar, then i have LR Assistance to help.
    If i could find an insert, the space could be used for storage or the like.

keith
  • Slug
    United Kingdom 

Wheel & Tyres are the same front and back.
    Get yourself a full size spare
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Keith wrote:
    Equilibrium
    im looking to do away with the spare. On previous vehciles, given that the fron and rear wheels are different, no spare has been provided at all, just the repair kit. if the tyre is beyond repar, then i have LR Assistance to help.

keith

Keith, the fact that your vehicle has been supplied with a space saver wheel, I doubt very much that Landrover assist will help if you don't have the space saver with the vehicle. If you had only originally had a repair kit, then that is a different matter.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Ian2206
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

I'm sure I read on here that the s/saver was now a standard fir on LR "company" cars for management. This was described as a theft deterrent measure as so many full size spares were being liberated from cars in the Coventry area, despite best efforts of LR and others to make an effective theft deterrent.
    My Disco is ex LR Co. car and has a skinny spare.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Mine also ex LR management car but came with full size spare and an LR deterrent plate.
    Guess if you don’t have the same it’s just another money saver………

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Keith wrote:
    Equilibrium

keith

Can i ask what type of storage you would be putting into the space?

Apart from akward access, and getting down on all fours, even with the back end raised.

How would you fit a storage bin in the space?

Would that mean using the winder that comes with car to lower it and raise it?

Not to mention all the rattling from the stuff underneath, moisture from the rain, and possibility of the stuff getting stolen.

I would like to see what system you come up with if it ever materialises.

Better with a roof box or trailer if you need more space.

More hassle than it's worth I think, but hey ho each to their own.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Space saver is standard now since the refresh I think. Part cost saving I imagine but also will help with the fuel economy / CO2 figures. As an example if I spec everything on a HSE with a full sized spare on the standard 21’s it’s 1 gram of CO2 in the next tax bracket. Drop it to 20’s and your on the limit of the band below with a full sized spare.
  • mordred1973
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Fuji White

Just remember in some countries it's a legal requirement to have a spare wheel for the car if you are towing....Germany for example.

2023 D300 Metropolitan, Hakuba Silver, Low Range, Solar screen, Deployable towbar, FBH, sidesteps.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum