Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• MAPMA
    England 

D250 R-Dynamic SE

Hey everyone,

I'll be a first-time LR owner and it's also my first post here - I'm sure it won't be the last.

I've ordered my car on 22/03/21 and the current estimated delivery date is 23/07/2021 - last updated on 10th June.

D250 R-Dynamic SE

Colour Namib orange
    Privacy glass
    Black roof rails
    Matrix LED headlights with signature DRL
    Heated steering wheel
    Driver-assist pack without park assist - Discovery R-Dynamic SE
    Heated washer jets
    Solar attenuating windscreen
    Wireless device charging with phone signal booster
    Detachable towbar
    Grained leather - Ebony, Ebony/Ebony colorway, Ebony headlining
    Advanced off-road capability pack
    20" 5 split spoke alloy wheels - style 5011 with satin dark grey
    Fixed Side Steps

The original delivery date was 16/07/21 so just a week delay as of the late update. I've received a letter from Land Rover (the manufacturer, not the dealer) justifying this with the chip shortage currently affecting all manufacturers.

Cheers,
    Marco
  • Craigp
    England 

Welcome Marco. I've had my SE since 2017. Everything I could want and still love to drive it. Thumbs Up
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Nice!! Very similar to mine but mine is HSE Lux(not by choice... Was in stock)

Whst colour rims did you order? I replaced mine with black 5011 rims (came with silver) because the black and the orange complement each other really well.
  • MAPMA
    England 

Thank you. The wheels are the 20' 5011 in satin dark grey, I "downgraded" to 20' rims to have a bit more choice of AT tyres (SE comes with 21'). And also because the ride will be comfier than on bigger rims and I'm more worried about that than looks Mr. Green .
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

That should be nice also!!

When I bought my D5, it came with 1 set of silver 5011 22" rims, and also a set of 20" black 5011 with Duratracs on them.

I have to admit that there was not much difference in ride quality between the two!!

I sold the 22's and planned to JUST run the 20's with the Duratracs, but I then discovered that the 20" Duratracs don't have the 3PMSF logo, and in Germany (I often go over the boarder in to Germany) they require the 3PMSF symbol during the winter. I was particularly upset since GoodYear advertised on their site that the Duratrac has the symbol!!

Consequently, I then bought a second set of black 20" 5011's, I run General Grabber AT3s on one set (these are 3PMSF certified), and currently have a set of Goodyear Eagle F1 AT SUV on them. I plan to run them out, and then put Duratracs back on these rims.

I find that the MAKE of tire seems to make more difference to the ride quality than the size.

If you plan to do any offroading (which I assume you plan on doing going on the specs that you have taken), I HIGHLY recommend the 20" rims!!

If you plan to put any extras on your D5, contact me... I have currently got a discreet winch, roof LED bar (that still lets me put a roof box), underbody protection.....

SO far, I have not used the D5 TOO much offroad, but when I have been offroad I am more than impressed!!

I am sure you will be happy!!
  • MAPMA
    England 

Not wanting to deviate from the topic into tyre discussion, the Duratracs are quite hard with a rigid sidewall and not intended for road use, I'm not surprised they didn't feel comfier than the road tyres running on 22' rims. I won't be running such a hardcore setup as I don't intend to have a separate set of rims just to drive a green lane from time to time. I'll probably be running either Grabbers AT , Goodyear AT Adventure or Geolandar A/Ts as they are good all-rounders, much better off-road than the stock Pirellis, but still pretty much road-focused - where I'll spend 99% of the time.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I was going to go for the 5011 wheels as kind of like the better but saw this on the bottom of Land Rover’s website. Now of course this is a different colour and maybe something with how they make them but decided not to risk it as my dealer wasn’t sure on it either.

Quote:
    ▽Maximum towing capacity is limited to 2.500kg when the 20" Style 5011, 5 split-spoke, Gloss Sparkle Silver wheel is fitted.

▼Maximum coupling point is limited to 100kg when the 20" Style 5011, 5 split-spoke, Gloss Sparkle Silver wheel is fitted.

• nebc100
    Luxembourg 

I bought mine with the 5011 rims, and legally they would have had to mark it on the car papers here if it were not permitted to tow the full 3500Kg, so I am not worried about it.

As you say... Probably to do with the colour.

Unless.... Those could be the rims for a Discovery Sport and they are not for the higher weight of the Discovery 5.

Just guessing here though.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Yeah it’s weird. I can only think it’s not so much a colour but the metal / process of making them is different and they aren’t as strong.

What’s the feeling on tyres then? I’ll be new to green lanes but fancy a go but nothing too complex. Had thought of the Duratracs as they are the only official tyres mentioned by Land Rover. Though had also read they might not be all that great in rain on normal roads which is a bit of an issue in the UK Laughing

Ideally something that’s as good an all rounder as you can get but probably more road focused for sure. Guessing have to go for the 275 though vs 255 to get anything else.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Generally the General Grabber AT3 is a good compromise tyre. It is good off-road (more than enough for Green Laning) but is also good on the road. It is not noticeably noisier than standard road tyres and so far I have been very happy with it as a winter tire (water and snow).
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

How much of a change has it made to the Speedo accuracy in the end with the different wheel sizes?
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

Sorry... Someone else will have to answer that as I have stayed with the standard tyre sizes.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I thought there was limited options in the normal 255/55/R20 that the car comes with. I just looked on Generals site and they say they don’t offer this size on the AT3. However trying Black Circles it seems they do. Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 

I have stayed with the standard size (255/55R20) and haven't had any issues getting tires.

I have General Grabber AT3s for winter, and HAD (And will be getting again when my current Goodyear Eagle SUV ATs are worn out) Duratracs on it previously.

The AT3s seem to be excellent, but as they are winter rated, I only plan to use them in the winter (required here in Luxembourg).

The Duratracs are slightly more aggressive and make a bit more noise on road, but they are "summer" compound, so I don't recommend them in the colder conditions and in the wet they are not as good as the AT3s.

There are other tires that are supposed to be good, but I haven't tried them.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Do not have to deal with snow often in the UK where I am though if they work good in snow that would be a bonus. What probably isn’t acceptable would be very poor wet road performance as we do have a lot of rain to deal with. I guess I’m after more road focused with a bit of off road performance.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum