Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• B50int
    United Kingdom 

On Board Air

Thought I would share my on board air solution. I got tired of adjusting air pressures at garages when towing the caravan- up to 50 down to 37 and repeat every time I towed.

Having had a fairly good britpart compressor for a while I found that a bit of a pain carrying the large box and connecting it up under the bonnet. It also didn’t have a pressure cut off so ran permanently.

Taking a leaf out of the ‘real off roaders book’ I today fitted a discrete ARB (ripoff) compressor in a little space next to the suspension compressor. Very pleased with the result. I just have the air outlet to mount discretely and then I have on board air whenever I want to adjust the tyres for towing or pumping up the kids footballs…

• BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Very neat installation. Thumbs Up

Discovery 5 HSE Dynamic D300
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Why not just carry a small compressor/inflator that plugs into the 12v in the boot.. I have one in mine that fits nice,y under the storage flap in the boot.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Slow! I have had a few over the years. Ultimately the capability is limited by the current capacity of the lighter socket. It was quicker to drive to a garage, do the tyres and drive back.

The britpart compressor I had is a larger version of the cigarette lighter compressors but draws about 20amps so needs direct connection to the battery jump posts under the bonnet. It was relatively quick to inflate but bulky to carry when loaded up with the caravan and a boot full.

With this set up, it takes up zero load space, is always available (even in a remote campsite) and it’s powerful.

Mostly it was born out of a combination of laziness, curiosity and gadget factor I suppose…
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

Very neat solution, I'd only seen an installation where it was put under the boot floor of a 5 seater.

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

Looks great. I assume you’d want to remove the access trim panel whilst it’s in-use for heat dissipation.

I can also attest to the inadequate normal car tyre inflation pumps - they tend to hit the thermal cut-out before filling a 4x4 tyre.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I’ve got a Ryobi One + compressor in the boot. Rechargeable li-ion battery permanently attached, but easy to remember to recharge. Copes easily with D5 tyres and pressures.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve got a Honwave electric air compressor for a 4m inflatable. If it can pump that up a tyre is no problem!
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

Good to know. Must be the crap one I've got, which I was gifted from my brother as compensation. After he borrowed my inflator, then subsequently sold his car with it still in the boot !
  • stereo247
    South Africa 
    2019 Discovery TDV6 HSE Corris Grey

About to try this myself. Only difference is I’m trying to fit the Pressure Control system as well.

D50 that’s a really nice job getting the tools that far out of the way. did you attach the ArB to the existing bolt on the floor or drill new ones? Only two attachment pots was the two bolts (one earth bolt and the a other normal body bolt point) and then a threaded insert on the right side wall.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

It has the pressure switch in it so it auto shuts off.

I made an aluminium plate which is fixed down using the voltage regulator mount and the earth stud on the rear upright. The third fixing is on one other other studs down there that seem to be used for cable management clips in the rest of the car. I am not sure it’s even a proper thread so I used a spacer and a c-clip on that one.

• stereo247
    South Africa 

Thanks for the pics and explanation.
    I was referring to this when I referred to the pressure control:

[url] https://arbeurope.com/air-control-introduc...e-control/

Boys and their toys Smile below is me starting a template for the bracket:

[img]

[/img]
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Stereo247

That remote pressure control certainly has gadget factor!

I had a few cardboard templates before I settled on a good plate. The stud you are using sheared off when I tried to use it. Only aluminium and a strange thread. Hence I ended up on the Voltage control relay stud.

Looking good though.
  • stereo247
    South Africa 

First up my bracket:

Then the install - when things got rough and complicated:

Was easier to run the piping and cables to between the boot storage compartment and 3rd row seats with everything removed:

Clean install with only the quick connector and button showing - easy enough to replace with rubber grommets should I remove from the vehicle.

No better place inside to install other than the tool well. See the solenoid for the pressure control app. I also used the existing open relay and fuse on the rear fuse box to make the install. Was cleaner but I wouldn’t advise it - getting into that box is a Censored and not the easiest.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Very nice!

I do like the idea of the app control pressure setting.

I had thought about putting the connector in the storage compartment but already had too much stuff in there!

Going to have to take it all when when the new disco arrives and swap it over so hopefully the same space exist in the facelift model....

Jon

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum