Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

Stolen and recovered

So my MY19 was nicked during the ENG v ITA match and I thought I'd share some thoughts.

I got a notification of vehicle movement from my (non-LR) tracker about 15 minutes after it was stolen and was able to pinpoint its location. Sure enough, the car was there and we blocked it in and then recovered it using face masks as makeshift gloves (who knew they could be so useful?). to preserve any forensics. My guess was it had been dumped there to see if it had a tracker - turns out I was wrong.

I have a Blackvue front & rear dash cam, which the Russian gentleman didn't think to disconnect, so I recorded his journeys, phone conversation and face as he looked in the rear windscreen - unfortunately it was too dark to get a good view.

* He clearly relayed the key fob to gain access. However, he switched the car off and on again a couple of times so he must have also cloned the key - I guess it's a technology arms race
    * He entered through the tailgate as I parked nose-in, so there is less liklihood of being spotted and the tailgate is soft-close.
    * He ripped out the trim inside the N/S rear door the telematics module is so there's a 'Limited SOS functionality' error on the dash
    * I'm not sure what he was planning to do for any LR or other tracker, but he must have been surprised when we showed up as yes, he was still in the car but scarpered pretty quick.

* The car is now reversed into the drive and secured with a big Foxtrot Oscar chain through a ground anchor and wheel.
    * The keys are in a metal box.
    * LR do not seem to have a "your car has been compromised, here's what to do" protocol, so I am left with a Russian bloke who wants my car wandering around with a cloned key; a sensible bloke in Guy Salmon recommends changing the KVM (Keyless entry module) and repairing our keys, thereby making the cloned key ineffective.
    * You don't seem to be able to turn keyless entry off except via LR diagnostics.

Top tip - hide a non-LR tracker in a random place.

Last edited by chaos_theory on 12th Jul 2021 6:01 pm. Edited 3 times in total

Andrew
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

Update - took the car into Guy Salmon for an assessment and for safe keeping in the interim. If the co-axial telematics cable has been cut, it is a 2-3 month wait and £7 to £9k for a new wiring harness. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Yes, the co-axial cannot be repaired or replaced except in a complete loom...

Andrew
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Full marks for taking the impudence, but you’d have been better off if it wasn’t recovered!
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Wow! Shocked that's hardcore!

Out of interest did you call the Police?!

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Think the newer keys use UWB that should in theory make this not possible with a relay attack though of course it’s always probably until they find a way to defeat that also.

Well done on getting it back, shame the guy got away though. Needs to be punished and ouch on that repair cost.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

John C wrote:
    Out of interest did you call the Police?!

Yes, we were on the phone to them as we arrived where the car was. They did forensics yesterday, but this guy is a professional so almost certainly wearing gloves.

Andrew
  • Lotusdmc
    United Kingdom 

I thought all Discovery 5's had UWB keys, the adac test was in 2019 and it passed. I feel your pain our Disco 4 was relayed off our drive, then crashed and recovered and written off.

MY20 HSE Lux Si4, Carpathian Grey, Light Oyster, Extended Leather, Dynamic Pack 1, Black Roof, Black Roof Rails, Privacy Glass, 22inch Wheels, Park Heat, 3rd Row Heated Seats
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

Yes, I saw the ADAC report, hence probably feeling over-confident. I think it's an arms race and any advance is soon caught up.

Just had the assessment through - I had, as usual, underestimated:

Shocked Wiring loom, aerial pod, overlays (whatever they are), connectors, keyless module: £10.5k
    Shocked Head liner: £2.2k
    Shocked NSR trim: door step, upper and lower C-pillar: £1.1k

That's £14k! Laughing

Andrew
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

This is an interesting link. Look what it says on the Discovery Sport at the time they tested it.

https://www.whatcar.com/news/car-theft-gro...ars/n19876

Possible then that maybe the UWB key wasn’t broken and they have another way in. Always an arms race sadly, ultimately though over time I believe technology will win out. Maybe it won’t be impossible to break but it’ll be hard enough that they’ll give up.
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

Just a quick update - the dashcam was on record as the Russian gentleman who stole it drove it around. The rear camera got a shot of him, but it was dark so poor quality. The dashcam also recorded his phone conversation. Watching me and the missus arrive to reclaim the car on the dashcam footage revealed he was still in the car when we pulled up, but he scarpered quickly.

The police have declined to take it further; I reckon there is a good chance they could identify his phone number by comparing the dashcam timing of his whereabouts and phone call to phone numbers on different phone masts. (It was at the end of the Euros Final, so not many people driving about - at least we didn't have to watch the penalty shoot out.) Apparently they only get this data for serious crimes, and international organised crime doesn't qualify.

Latest estimate with bodywork repair: 3 months & £17k.

Andrew
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

And your insurance will shoot up. Crying or Very sad
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

protected no claims, so hopefully not!

Andrew
  • chaos_theory
    United Kingdom 

FastLaneJB wrote:
    Possible then that maybe the UWB key wasn’t broken and they have another way in. Always an arms race sadly, ultimately though over time I believe technology will win out. Maybe it won’t be impossible to break but it’ll be hard enough that they’ll give up.

You might be right as there was a footprint on the driver's seat, so maybe they picked the lock on the passenger side and stepped over. A tip of a latex glove finger was found at the OBD plug, so maybe you're right.

Andrew
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Your premium will rise after a claim. All protected NCB does is protect the percentage, so if you had 50% NCB discount you still get 50%, but it’s 50% of a higher price, e.g. if your pre claim premium price was £500 and your NCB is applied you paid £250, but after a claim you are now a “ higher risk” and it’s likely your premium could easily double to £1000 (or more) but you still get you protected NCB of 50% so you could be looking at a £500 renewal.

A lot of folks think a protected NCB means no cost increase after a claim, but it doesn’t.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Nicely put.

SWMBO has some one run into her stationary vehicle at traffic lights. The other person admitted it was their fault. The money to repair the car was paid by the other partys insurance.

SWMBOs premium still went up despite maximum no claims bonus. Your fault or not, just being involved in something makes you more at risk according to insurers.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum