Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Land Rover official dash cam

Thinking of having a dash cam fitted when I get my new Disco. First time I’ll have had a dash cam though my son has a Nextbase model with rear camera in his car.

Anyway I’m thinking about getting the Land Rover one but in two minds. Obviously it’s pretty expensive (Though price does include fitting) and I’ve seen the video powerfuluk did on this in their Defender, the image quality wasn’t up to some better models as it’s only HD. Some draw backs there.

However in reverse it wires in cleanly into the car using a wiring loom for the overhead console so no exposed wires even on the windscreen. But maybe even more of interest is it has radar for the parking mode so I think it should in theory be far less draining on the battery. I’ve seen a video on the Thinkwave U1000 which has an optional radar module that shows it increasing parking mode time from around a day to a week+ I think. Hence I think having the radar built in is pushing its price up somewhat though of course I’m sure Land Rover have a massive margin on it also.

Alternatives definitely have better picture quality but as you move up the picture quality, the battery drain increases. Some look to suggest having a dedicated dash cam battery that charges up as you drive the car. Also sounds a good option but where can you stash that battery easily in the Disco 5?

Anyway thinking despite the price, the Land Rover one probably makes the most sense for cleanness and no warranty worries at all. Plus I figure if it’s not kind to the battery, Land Rover are less likely to take issue with it.

Anyone got one though to comment on this?
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Just fyi there is another thread on this subject you might want to check out...
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Yeah I’ve read what I think are the others but don’t see anything on the official Land Rover one. Think they only released it this year.
  • adds58
    United Kingdom 

I'm interested to know if anyone has the LR Dashcams fitted too. Tempted to get them if they fit nice and neatly even though they are expensive.
  • Keith
    United Kingdom 
    2021 Discovery Td6 SE Santorini Black

adds58
    Im interested to, like a dash cam, but even better if they are a designed fit.

keith
    D5 R-Dynam SE D300 MY21, 21" Wheels, Sant Black, and a reasonable selection of toys.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

How people spend their money is entirely up to them, it took me until LR No. 3 to discover there are many superior made add ons that don’t bear the LR stamp.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

adds58 wrote:
    I'm interested to know if anyone has the LR Dashcams fitted too. Tempted to get them if they fit nice and neatly even though they are expensive.

They definitely fit neatly looking at the fitting instructions.

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....y/G2749301

Also, it must switch to parking mode correctly as it's got one and a radar-based approach so will lower the battery draw nicely.

I imagine I'll go this route, just wondered about the picture quality is like or how long it might run in parking mode for instance before it cuts off. Oh and for anyone with the FBH, can you run the dashcam in parking mode to it's maximum time and still have enough juice left to turn that on plus start the car as well afterwards. There's just sod all information about it sadly so will likely just have to gamble on it.

Darras wrote:
    How people spend their money is entirely up to them, it took me until LR No. 3 to discover there are many superior made add ons that don’t bear the LR stamp.

I'm sure your right already without even buying this. It's the neatness, radar and warranty that draws me to it is all. I am open to suggestions of course, I'd like a nice parking mode though.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I used Blackvue front and rear.

It’s easy to instal a switch off or a pull out device to purify the warranty. Just don’t physically slice into the system.

I used roughly the same cable route, apart from I went round the top. I can’t see why on earth LR want to shove it round the bottom, then go up by the C pillar. That’s making work for someone. It’s also untidy imho.

Anyway, only just discovered the main dealer must have pulled the power to the Blackvue when it went in for new brakes last week. I don’t mind, I just wish they’d reconnect it.

• Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Got the Blackvue also. Front is 4K and rear is HD. Excellent quality. I also went along the headlining at the top of the roof, unlike the LR way.

Garage also disconnected it during the service. When I asked why, they said it was to do with data protection. Never even had the deceny to reconnect it. I only noticed when turning at a junction, that the pin was tapping against the side pillar, beside the windscreen, and the power cable from half way across the top of the windscreen where the camera is attached, had all been pulled out, after I had neatly routed it around the top of the windscreen.

Not happy I can assure you. Knowing my luck the one time I needed it, it was disconnected.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Was thinking there must be a reason Land Rover take what seems like a more complex route in their instructions. I’m guessing but I figure it might be that it’s to avoid the cable getting in the way of the side airbag should that need to inflate.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

The overhead route avoids infringing any airbag or associated works, besides the side airbags go the length of the car.

Personally speaking, an airbag or curtains go off with such sudden force that a small power wire wouldn’t effect any deployment. More chance the facia parts covering the airbags would do that.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I imagine Land Rover cannot just advise that people / techs put wires that might be infront of the airbag. That could be dangerous as you don’t know exactly what might happen in an accident.

Not saying you will have an issue or it is a problem. Just saying Land Rover aren’t taking the risk is all, hence the route they take.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Okay, I disagree. I did say there’s no impingement, but even if there was, it could be discounted. LR quite often have anomalies in their installation or advice.

To give you an example, I recall there was a bone of contention with a grey plastic pedestrian air bag cover on a Disco Sport bonnet - wife’s car. You got it irrespective of the colour of your car. A lot of people said that by owners spraying it a body colour to blend in with the rest of the vehicle, that would restrict its operation. It was further backed up by LR techs saying they didn’t advise it, then low and behold, LR began spraying the grey airbag cover the body cover anyway. The difference? LR wanted to charge roughly £400 extra for a replacement part.

To be honest I’d worked out 4g of paint applied to the cover in the paint process weighed in less than a few droplets of rain if it had been raining, so what next? Don’t drive the car in the rain if you intend to hit a pedestrian? There was no logic nor reason given behind the advice.

Just seems to be LR modus operandi to advise against something they can make money from. Not that anyone is advising against this alternative routing. Either way, it’s a minor point, if you wanted, route it the LR way or go or add it to the build, each to their own.
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

OK no worries. Not saying you might not be right but not having a cable infront of the airbag just means that possible risk of it not working right is mitigated. It seems like people can sue car companies if there’s issues with airbags going off in an accident. I imagine if LR had instructions saying to put cables infront of the airbag they’d be less likely to win those cases.

I have to deal with this kind of questions at work. Sometimes you might have a situation where you don’t know what might happen if A occurs. It might be fine, or it might break the system. Either you can test to find out which can be quite time consuming or better you just make it so A can never happen in the first place. I’m not an airbag expert, I don’t know what the risk is or isn’t of putting a cable infront of the airbag might be. However as you can avoid that by going an admittedly more pain in the ass route, you’d have mitigated that risk, even if it wasn’t a risk at all in the end. Simply don’t have the stats or info to know either way.

Can see lots of others talking about this on other forums but didn’t really find anything official in terms of regulations, guidance or other such to say either way.

We can agree to disagree. Thumbs Up
  • IndusD4
    Australia 

I like the way the LR camera takes its power, where my BlackVue has the lead just pushed in along the headlining then down the passenger A pillar then into the upper glove box accessory power point.

Is there an on/off switch on the LR camera? As if not, I wonder how the service department would turn them off as they do disconnecting the power from a BlackVue camera.

Ron

2016 D4 TDV6
    IIDTool BT
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum