Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Softuk
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Disco 5 magic light show!

After several Discos, bought a Disco 5 last year. Have had constant electrical problems, which were supposed to be resolved by relocation of earthing stud.
    After a month, back to problems. Driving down the road, rear tailgate opens halfway, when I get out of the car, all lights coming on & off in turn - right then left indicator, brake lights, reversing lights, 4way flashers. Electric seat moves on its own.
    Land Rover Assistance couldn’t find any fault code. Car now back at the dealership who have made mention of possible wiring problem.
    Had anyone else had the same problem, and if so, what was the problem/solution? Many thanks.
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

I'm not in any way knowledgable as an auto electrician, but my guess is that this is not a wiring fault but a comms fault.

Modern car electricals are controlled by a CAN bus, which is a type of local area network (like the cable or the WLAN connecting your PC, printer, router etc)

It sounds to me as though one of the microprocessors on the CAN bus is playing up. I can't think of any other reason why such a wide range of devices would start misbehaving up in that way

More here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-vehicl...adam-ali-/
  • Softuk
    United Kingdom 

Many thanks indeed, that makes eminent sense. I didn’t mention some of the other problems - warning lights etc . Originally it was put down to a faulty Earth stud for which there was a recall and a new stud installed. All seemed OK for a couple of weeks, then the problems started again.
  • B McP
    Scotland 
    2020 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Corris Grey

The light show sounds very similar to what would be seen if the trailer light system test was activated - it cycles round all the lights on the car and trailer until the test is switched off. If you have a tail hook, then check that you do not have anything in the boot that could accidentally knock the test switch.
  • Softuk
    United Kingdom 

Many thanks for your reply. There is a tow hook,(stowed) but the entire boot area is enclosed with a hatch bag liner so the switches are covered. However, it may well be that you have provided a clue and the fault is in some way linked to that, but there is still the issue of warning lights and the seat and wheel moving on their own plus the rear hatch door opening when the car is travelling.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum