Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Seaby
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Loire Blue

Back to a D4 and a Pors….

D5 has gone after 4 years of an up and down experience. Love the refinement and interior design but it’s too close to a Range Rover inside and not different enough now to the Discovery Sport on the outside. And I had 2 new engines so a big reliability question mark about the rapid development of compliant engines from JLR to be honest.
    Our needs had slightly moved on as well with not needing 7 seats as the daily car. So for towing horses / dogs / dump runs / muddy mountain bikes, bought a 2011 Discovery 4. Thought it was going to feel a real step backwards, but it isn’t at all. There’s lots about it I prefer to the D5 to be honest. And the new D5 cost me 8 x more than this D4!

But… for daily 40+mpg school runs bought a used Porsche Macan. The drive and quality are in a different league but glad we’ve got the D4 for the more rugged stuff.

Have got 4 x 3 months old General Grabbers 20” AT3, a carpet set, roof bars and dog guard from the D5 that I’ll list at some point.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Fair play, I can see your point. I think too many people get anal over their D5’s in truth. It’s like a hobby rather than seen what it is, a means of getting from A to B. Id have chopped mine in, but I keep it for the Uni runs, but there’s no reason why I should, I’ve got a trailer. Anyway, for something that spends a lot of its life hidden out of view in the grounds - just prefer not to look at it Laughing there more to worry about than that. Good luck.Thumbs Up
  • MAPMA
    England 

What engine did you have on your D5? Was it the 2 litre diesel?
  • BBDisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

May be interested in the roof bars please - what make/colour are they ?
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 

MAPMA - Yes 2.0. From a running costs and performance POV I liked it. I think the car handles better with a lighter engine up front and never felt under powered when towing. But based on my experience, the power might come at the cost of durability. And now I've got 2 x 3.0 V6 diesels, I appreciate the smoothness
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 

BBDisco5: Silver and came with the car new from LR so OEM but guess they might be Thule etc.
  • BBDisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Thanks for that but looking for black Big Cry
  • MAPMA
    England 

Seaby wrote:
    MAPMA - Yes 2.0. From a running costs and performance POV I liked it. I think the car handles better with a lighter engine up front and never felt under powered when towing. But based on my experience, the power might come at the cost of durability. And now I've got 2 x 3.0 V6 diesels, I appreciate the smoothness

Just asked because that engine was a total nightmare on the Disco (weight maybe?). There were A LOT of 2 litre diesel broken engines. It's not an option anymore.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

The 2lt engine owners say the 3lt was a nightmare and vice versa. That argument has been going on longer than this forum.

Dealers will tell you anything to flog a motor. No they don’t make the 2lt anymore and the original 3lt got updated. Bottom line is I doubt those in the know at LR even if true would say either engines were crappy.

If you have a good one of any variety, keep it and likewise dump a bad one.
  • MAPMA
    England 

The old 3L V6 wasn't updated, the current 3L is a completely new inline 6. Wink

I was just commenting on the 2L as every time I hear/read about a cracked engine or engine replaced on a D5 it was always the 2L one - but that's anecdotal evidence at best so you can be right.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

It won’t bother any of us pretty soon. Jaguar to go all electric by 2025, LR a bit longer. Then the bum will fall out of the conventional engined motors. Wouldn’t buy another new one till the pandemic mess is over and the electric route becomes clearer, all in my own opinion.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I did 2k miles in a 2 litre loaner when my first 3.0 was playing up (sensors, not engine). What surprised me was how perfectly quick enough the 2L was. What I came to realise as I piled on the miles was just how hard the engine worked vs. the 3L on the same commute. Things like dropping a gear on a very gentle motorway incline. That the engine suffers a bit in a large heavy car is not that surprising. Especially when engineered by a company with a less than stellar reputation.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Fair point. I can’t see me stick with LR that said. I think they are getting silly prices. To think at what I would baulk at when buying a D3, then a D4, I’d never imagined paying what I did for the D5. Now to get anything half decent, it’s £60k plus and no discounts.

Even if I were to contemplate a new D5, it would have to have its aesthetics changed a bit. It’s looking old hat. I can’t stand the new Defenders looks and the rest of them are basically look a likes, having to look hard to see what model it is. All in my opinion. Laughing
  • Seaby
    United Kingdom 

One positive was that I got £3.5k more than a PX price I was quoted 12 months ago. Sold it as a straight sale to a LR dealer who are desperate for stock.

But probably paid too much for the Porsche as their prices have gone up as well
  • eelpout
    United States 

Darras wrote:
    It won’t bother any of us pretty soon. Jaguar to go all electric by 2025,

I would not take that bet. Smile
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum