Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ptyers
    United Kingdom 

Welcome & Collection from Slovakia?

Evening and welcome all,

First-timer on here so please accept this as way of introduction too.

Ordered my shiny D5 last week from local dealership; planned delivery Nov/Dec. Basic S but kitted out as worked out cheaper than going for a more expensive trim (Scrooge).

I asked the chap whether it was an option to fly over to Slovakia and drive the car back to avoid the month-long transport.

Surprisingly this was not something he'd been asked before and has avoided answering each time I've asked.

My feeling is it wouldn't be permitted as presumably it would not be a UK-registered car yet and thus uninsurable and non-taxed.

Has anybody done this in the past?

Cheers all.

PS: colour options aren't showing Byron Blue in registration?
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Don’t know the answer to your question, but welcome to the forum 👍

Factory collection would be awesome, I recently followed a brilliant thread where a X7 M50i owner picked up his car from the factory in South Carolina and drove it home to Alaska. One of the single best forum threads that I have ever read. Sorry, topic drift!

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

They used to do factory collection when production was in the UK. I've not heard of anyone doing it from Slovakia.

Have you considered how many covid tests and isolation periods you might need to cross that many borders? Shocked

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • ptyers
    United Kingdom 

hadn't thought about blogging it, but if it happens I'm sure a lengthy post and series of photos would be submitted. Thumbs Up

hotel quarantine is part and parcel of my job at the moment so busman's holiday Rolling with laughter
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

Equilibrium wrote:
    Don’t know the answer to your question, but welcome to the forum 👍

Factory collection would be awesome, I recently followed a brilliant thread where a X7 M50i owner picked up his car from the factory in South Carolina and drove it home to Alaska. One of the single best forum threads that I have ever read. Sorry, topic drift!

I loved that thread as well, so detailed and so much information, really good read. Noticed it when considering the X7 as do a lot of research before I even do a test drive of a car.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Yes, that’s the same reason that I had the X7 forum in my list of bimmerpost forums. And that thread kept me entertained in the 2/3/4am “hold the baby” hours when our little boy was newborn earlier this year.

He’s done another one recently, an Alaskan tour. I’ve only read the first couple of posts but really interesting.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • FastLaneJB
    United Kingdom 

I might do one when I collect my Disco but it would only end up being a meme because it’s just a 50 minute trip from dealer to my house Smile Maybe I’ll stop and pick up a KFC on the way back though so can let you all know on the food quality Very Happy
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum