Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

How do I get a dealer to fix a problem?

Apologies for raising this issue again but I am pulling out my hair and need some guidance from you guys as how I should proceed. Double apologies for the lengthy explanation.

I bought a former LR company car back in 2019 it was covered by LR warranty until June 2021.
    In Nov 2020 the car developed a ‘pulsating/rotational/rhythmic’ noise that was most audible at 25-35mph. I asked the vendor dealership to fix it in January 2021.

Since then the car has been in and out of their workshops with Supertechs looking at it, discussions with LandRover and lately a listening device used to hopefully locate the noise while on a rolling road.

I personally felt from the outset it was a ‘differential type of noise’, fond memories of old simple diffs on simple cars, back in the day. But they seemed to discount my suggestion.*

They first replaced a wheel bearing…no effect.

I pointed out that the pulse rate (yes I timed it several times at 30mph) was on something that was doing 100-110rpm at 30mph. Whereas the wheels I calculated were doing 350rpm. So NOT a wheel bearing or anything downstream of the diff.

The listening device suggested the source of the noise was …the tensioner on the supercharger. Shocked
    After waiting weeks for the tensioner (on back order) to be fitted ….it made no difference.

There are now slight rumblings that ‘these sort of noises occur in different cars’ although they are at the moment stopping short of suggesting the noise is within normal levels.

My stance is this.

It wasn’t there when I bought it. It developed after 18months and limited use due to the pandemic (5000miles). So…it’s not a ‘car to car’ variation, something went wrong with it..

The fact they have acknowledged the noise and have actively engaged in multiple diagnostic time and part replacement says to me they are accepting something is not right and it’s not within normal parameters..

But I feel they are trying cheap options and not facing the fact it’s a bigger more expensive drive? issue job, that they will have to foot the repair bill.

They claim to be communicating with LandRover technical but LR aren’t hearing this noise merely making long distance suggestions!

So where do I go from here?

I can insist on speaking to the boss man; I can get very irate and threaten something or the other? But what actual weight can be levied at a dealership that can’t find the problem, let alone fix it?

Can I ask another dealership to look at it? I had extended the LR warranty till 2022 but I guess there would be a moratorium on cover for an existing issue on the extended warranty.

Can I insist they take the car somewhere else that has better diagnostic skills?

I am sorely inclined to sell it on and never buy another LandRover, but thats being defeatist.

What would you guys suggest?

My assertion it’s a differential/transmission issue comes from these basic observations…
    It’s certainly not engine…revving in Neutral made no difference.
    It doesnt seem to be specific gear related….using paddles to hold it in different gears didn’t change the noise or stop it
    Whereas, allowing road speed to decay while coasting downhill in neutral clearly demonstrates the noise occurs while idling….the noise appears at 35mph and continues down to 25mph when it stops or becomes inaudible .
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’ve taken the defeatist stance before. Once a car starts giving problems, it seems to continue in some shape or form. Life’s too short to get hung up on a car.

Alternatively you’ve probably got legal services with car or home insurance. They cover purchase disputes, try them. Citizens advice is another. You could negotiate with the company, but I wouldn’t hold my breath although being persistent can work, you know turning up on the doorstep, phoning them at every opportunity, but be pleasant as loosing it will give them the distractor and excuse to ignore you. I’d suggest contacting LRCS, but from what I heard recently they aren’t any help these days,
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

I’ve been pretty laid back with the dealers so far as I know finding these sort of noises can be difficult.

Added to which I haven’t had much need for the car this last year. I was happy for it to be with them for 3 weeks. But disappointed the remote app showed it locked and alarmed for long periods it was there.

Unusually for me, on this occasion, I don’t feel angry or confrontational enough to be loud, awkward or belligerent with them. I am more inclined to say stuff it and walk. But I love the car and not sure what else could equal its general feel ….that the wife also likes. Smile Swopping cars can also be fraught.

I am planning to go into the dealership after a few days (while they reconsult with LR) and have a heart to heart with their works manager / chief tech or the person with the finger on the pulse.

They have invested time and money on trying to fix it so I am sure they want to sort it and move on. It’s convincing them to look into more expensive locations on the car that I suspect will be difficult.
  • Whippetman
    England 

Good time to sell it to another dealer and then buy something else.

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Get it up in the air. (four wheels off the floor) go through the gears and the speeds at which it occurs, if no sound/vibration I would suspect tyre(s) Swap spare with one corner and if neccessary continue with others refitting the swapped one as you progress.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Good advice from Whippetman I reckon.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

harrythespider wrote:
    Get it up in the air. (four wheels off the floor) go through the gears and the speeds at which it occurs, if no sound/vibration I would suspect tyre(s) Swap spare with one corner and if neccessary continue with others refitting the swapped one as you progress.

I must have read your mind. Smile
    I’ve booked car in for a diagonal tyre rotation tomorrow to see if that has any effect.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 

Whippetman wrote:
    Good time to sell it to another dealer and then buy something else.

Food for thought.

I assume the repair history will be on the LR database, so no point in trying to trade it in at another LR dealership?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Don’t suppose they’ll look into it that far, that requires some degree of intelligence. Wink
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

WBAC are beating all comers for value on mine these days.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Okay, goodbyecar.uk a web site run by Vardys is defo the best.

Almost £2k more than webuyanycar. Going on this I’ve lost less than £10k in 3 years from new.

I did have a hiccup initially with it a couple of months ago, but they amended the offer when I told them it was less than WBAC, but now the web site seems to function fine. It’s scary how much they’ll give you.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Interesting. Goodbye car won’t quote me online.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Maybe they’ve run out of money! Laughing

Seriously, keep trying over the next few days. I can’t see them give me so much for a D5, but not someone else.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Yep. Will do. Evans Halshaw are at £58k for mine and WBAC at £60.5k. 13 months old/4.5k miles.

• Whippetman
    England 

Amazing
    Didn’t even drive mine off the drive before they bought it!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum