Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• ukorca
    United Kingdom 

High pitched squealing noise OS Rear

After around 20 minutes of driving, my Disco (67 plate 3.0 petrol) develops a high pitched squealing/screeching noise which I think is coming from the OS rear wheel (although it could be OS front). It's loud enough that pedestrians will turn and look when I drive by.

It doesn't make the noise when the vehicle is cold and the noise disappears under braking and also disappears when turning. It happens at all speeds and the noise doesn't change pitch dependent on speed. I thought it might be the parking brake and have engaged this when stopped, manually released and the noise goes for a few minutes but then returns.

A quick search on this forum hasn't turned up any other similar problems so I'd be interested to know what people's thoughts might be as to the cause. I've not been driving much, but the problem has been there since around June, so I think I can rule out a stone in the caliper or something like that.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

If you have ruled out stones, etc. Other things could be a problem with the pads or possibly the air suspension pump. Worth checking wheel bolts are tight as well.

You say pitch stays the same but does the frequency change with speed? An increasing frequency would lend itself to pads / shims.
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

Check your brake pads/shims.

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum