Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Towing electrics

Hi,

This morning I hooked up my caravan for a trip down to Cornwall. Once I had plugged in the electrics, it became apparent that none of the lights were working. Indicators and brakes were ok, as was the fridge power. Reconnected the socket, and restarted the engine and the lights came on, though only on one side (rear light, side markers and front marker), but nothing on the other side. Also, once they were on they were permanently on, even with the car lights manually turned off.
    Everything was working fine a couple of days ago when I collected it from storage.
    I haven't had time to look any further but I assume it's the car at fault not the van? Anyone seen anything similar?
    Also, probably a coincidence, but since this morning, whenever I select reverse I get the towbar screen and the camera looking at the towbar, rather than the usual reversing screen.

Thanks, David
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Sounds like a car software fault. I had issues with cars rear fogs working intermittently whilst the trailer lights were plugged in. Trailer also has rear fog lights.

Also had a small issue with led verses normal bulbs. Both worked fine but led did not show up on the dash with the blinking green trailer indicator, whilst normal bulbs did show the blinking trailer light.

I have bought one of these for about £10 online. Excellent piece of kit and saves so much time. Works on both the car and trailer checking each individual bulb. It also comes with an adaptor for the new 13 pin sockets.

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Is it a swift van with led lights?
  • captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 

It's a swift van with normal bulbs.

Looking at the van wiring diagram the two sides are fed separately from the car, so likely to be the car at fault I would think.
  • captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 

Mmm, having said that I've just measured a full supply on pins 5 & 7 which are the two side feeds.

Maybe an earth fault on the van?
  • captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 

Blown fuse / dodgy bulb appears to have been the cause of the partially working 'van electrics.

What I have noticed now is that the van lights will switch on as soon as the car is taken out of park and will stay on until the car is turned off.

Can anyone confirm if this is normal, or is there still a fault?
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

My caravan markers and tail lights are always on with the DRLs.

Like you say, as soon as D is engaged, DRLs light up and so does the trailer.

Jon
  • captaindarling13
    United Kingdom 

Great, thanks.

I did wonder about the DRL's.

Only had my D5 10 months, so due to the pandemic, I haven't really towed with it until now.

David.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Trailer side lights are linked to the rear lights on D5, upto 19my, the car rear lights were on with the front Drl's, from 19my, LR switched off the rear lights when only Drl's in use as a fuel saving measure. So 17&18 MY will light trailer side lights when front Drl's are on, 19my onwards, trailer side lights not lit when only Drl's in use. Also Drl's don't come on until you take car out of park after ignition on, then they stay on until you switch off ignition.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum