Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• PRH
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (180) HSE Lux Indus Silver

Relay Clicking

Whenever the car is unlocked and I am loading/unloading I can hear a relay click on then off occasionally near the battery - any ideas anyone?

I also get the dreaded low battery warning after about 30 mins with the door/boot open. The interior lights are switched off so not them but wondering if the two things are connected (no pun intended).
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Could be the ‘convenience mode’ relay.

This keeps things like the usbs and accessory sockets live for a few minutes after the car is switched off or when a door is opened. I think it also keeps some of the cars systems ready for a start/restart rather than running them all up from cold.

Jon

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
    Gone: 2018 HSE 3.0 tdv6 Santorini black
  • PRH
    United Kingdom 

Thanks Jon, sounds feasible though why would it keep clicking on and off? I don’t open and close the doors just leave them open…….
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

On and off wouldn’t make sense.

You can turn on convenience mode by pressing unlock button on the key fob in your pocket?

Only other thing I can think of is the air suspension if you are loading/unloading heavy items?

MY23 (2022) D300 SE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey, Tow Pack, Matrix Headlights and a few other options
  • PRH
    United Kingdom 

Thank you.

Re the key, I unlock the car then tend to leave the key in the house or caravan.

I don’t think that the items are that heavy, camping gear (chairs and stuff) perhaps one heavy item.

I also get the clicking when I just go to an empty boot……..
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

Haunted?! Shocked

• PRH
    United Kingdom 

Rolling with laughter
  • teaman
    United Kingdom 

If you pop the bonnet you can hear all sorts of noises as well (engine off). The body control module seems to start its wake up procedures whenever you open a door. So it will be going through it’s diagnostics, etc. I always notice the fridge fan as well as the air suspension system priming
  • BBDisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I also get the relay clicking sound and at the same time the light flashes on the "deploy tow bar" switch.

The only time it stopped was when I removed the fuse which allows the tailgate to open with a wave of your foot under the rear corners. (If you can balance on one leg long enough for it to actually activate and open the tailgate )
  • PRH
    United Kingdom 

That’s interesting, I have not noticed the tow bar switch, will take a look thank you.

Apart from being annoying I was wondering if it was the cause of the battery drain with the doors open whilst loading up though I have to say the car is very protective because not long after getting going the stop start works so the battery can’t be that drained!

I’ve got to say that the tailgate detection seems to work 95% of the time on mine so I shouldn’t complain I guess……
  • BBDisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

95% ! Perhaps you wear bigger shoes Laughing

I have a CTEK Battery monitor fitted and that can be showing upwards of 90% fully charged when the low barttery warning flashes up on the dashboard.

Wonder if the dash message appears once the battery has lost say 5% charge since opening the doors and wakening the car up, no matter what level of charge it happened to be in at the time. Question
  • PRH
    United Kingdom 

“I have a CTEK Battery monitor fitted and that can be showing upwards of 90% fully charged when the low barttery warning flashes up on the dashboard. ”

Now that is even more interesting - perhaps I should stop worrying about the messages and just ignore it.

Thanks for that.
  • B50int
    United Kingdom 

I have to say that I have got into the habit of ignoring those messages. They do seem over zealous in their appearance.

Occasionally I put it on the ctek just for peace of mind but similarly it’s generally no where near as bad as the message suggests!

• mack1979
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I get the battery low warnings a lot and I've had the car fail to start a few times. It's been to the dealer several times and they can't find a cause or the drain.

New D5 HSE 3l SD6 MY20. Black and all the black options!
    Old: (sold) D4 MY11 3.0l SDV6 (black obviously)
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum