Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Popsdosh wrote:
    If im totally honest im not sure the Disco will ever come in a sixth incarnation ,I think it will be dropped as the new guy at the top has high aspirations and thinks their competition will come from Bentley and Merc top end and cutting back on volume sales.
    If he thinks Bentley customers will put up with what JLR call customer service then I genuinely fear for Jaguar.

He might also do well to remember it's these 'volume' models that consistently save the brand. Discovery, Evoque, DS. All been big sales successes.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Dont think you can describe the D5 as a volume success .
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I meant Discovery as a whole...
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

He doesnt value the volume sales it seems and has some short term view of where they are heading.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

The Bentley statement is also where he sees Jaguar targeting itself, or at least the gap below Bentley. As said above, customer service needs a complete overhaul to even contemplate.

Mercedes is a different proposition, a pure mass manufacturer that still retains its luxury roots in the shape of the S and Maybachs. Plays in a market well below JLR as well with the Smarts, A, B, GLA and low end C-classes.

I can see the Disco continuing but giving up some of the off road ability now the Defender exists. Focus should be on being the large family car as that’s where the market opportunity exists and where the current car does stuff that the opposition cannot.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

As someone who had bought BMW for 13 years before coming to JLR, I think he's completely missed the real problem Jaguar had. It wasn't so much the cars although there was obviously room for improvement, it was the dealer experience. 10 years ago, BMW had realised a big part of getting people to return was consistent, modern looking dealerships, big service shops and things like all day Saturday servicing and even overnight opening.

When I switched to Jaguar, I was shocked at just how behind their dealers were. If I'd bought an XE or XF coming from BMW I'd probably have gone straight back for that reason alone. However, the XKR was enough to keep me, and the local dealer also did Astons so had a very good workshop. However, I did notice a drop in service when the XE arrived as they admitted they didn't have a big enough workshop for the volume...

Only now with the dual-arch dealerships have JLR caught up with BMW and then they axe the XJ and effectively kill one half of these big showrooms, So I don't suppose we'll see too many more in the near future, why would you invest now?

I think an all electric XJ would have stood out and possibly sold well. Even if that was just a stop gap for Jag. I know other people with orders in for LR products and most feel they are being held to ransom and are not happy. The problem is, they really like the cars and don't want anything else. However, JLR need to realise people will not forget how they are currently being treated and they are storing up trouble later within their loyal customer base.

I suspect there are quite a few Disco customers who won't realise just how much has been removed from the spec, and dealers aren't making a big thing of it, so when some of these MY23 start trickling through I'd imagine there will be some very angry people.
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Lots of good points Ian.

I will just say on the dealer front, that my local LR was a breath of fresh air after the local BMW dealer. The latter was a pure numbers game and was a far worse experience than Toyota. However, the BMW dealer 50 miles away that I used to use was brilliant, it’s just too easy for them to sell cars around here so they don’t care.

Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

My local dealership is part of the 25.4mmrainwear ( Cool ) group. Their customer service skills are nil. They ‘hide’ behind a rude pompous and officious receptionist who leaves a message for them to call back….they never do.

They are dilatory in the extreme. We are approaching the 1st anniversary of them starting/trying to fix my car and were talking of a complete strip down of the entire drive system until I was able to pass on a recommendation …from one of our own forum members! They are now planning to try his suggestion…next month! For the moment the pandemic has given them a perfect hiding place for apathetic service.

I have run successful companies for over 30 years and the one thing I impressed on my staff was “never leave a bad taste in a customer’s mouth”. Because while every satisfied customer will tell 5 people, a dissatisfied customer would tell 10-20people. You don’t have to be very bright or good at maths to understand the potential impact on your business. My local dealer has now ‘lost’ its new sales category and been demoted to Approved Used Sales (it had a stay of total execution!) I wonder why?.

This information has been supplied to me by the 25.4mmrainwear dealership 50 miles away after they had heard my tale of woe and have now offered to chivvy along my local dealer.

So there is this polarity between dealerships. The luck of the draw where you live
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 

Love the code name Wolfpack, took me a minute!

Exactly right about postcode lottery, even within brand and dealer group as you have seen.

Sincerely hope that they finally sort your car.

• Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Im guessing they may soon be coming through a bit quicker now.
    As JLR have dropped Russian exports completely. However fuel cost may also make a few cancel orders as well.
  • jojim65
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Si6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

That's a nice thought and maybe they will start to trickle through, I've now cancelled my D5 after a 7 month wait to be told the wait would continue for another 6-10months. I'm now waiting for an X5.

As a passing comment the sales manager told me they were getting 3-4 cars month coming through and still no D5's.....He has in his dealership alone 600 cars ordered awaiting build. With about 173 dealers across the UK that could be over 100,000 cars ordered and no build slots.

As others have mentioned the display area was full of used cars including a 7 year old Defender. A car that was in the showroom when I ordered in August 2021 was still sitting there last month. The sales staff are now using Kia's (another brand the group has) and to be honest whilst they put on a brave face it all looked pretty dire.

Has any one on here with a factory build from last year actually received a car?
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Yes I was looking in Oct for a D5 , I even made an offer on one for which I got laughed at .
    To my mind they were all 6-10 K over priced as the market was bound to fall as the warning signs were already out.
    Glad I didnt now ,oh the one I offered on well its 2K lower than my offer as of today. There are not a lot of smiles in any dealership at the moment. Its much the same in the machinery we use prices spiralling and long waits even spending 750k on a combine.
  • jojim65
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery Si6 HSE Kaikoura Stone

The used prices do indeed seem to have levelled and started to fall, I sold them my 3 year old Velar in December on the understanding that I would take delivery of the D5 in Jan or feb at the latest. They gave a very good price and retailed it for £7,500 more than the trade in which in turn is just £3,000 less than I paid for it new. It still sits there as of today for £2,000 less. Nothing wrong with the car, good spec, low mileage, well cared for.

If they can't sell used cars and can't get new cars how is that sustainable!
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

I checked out any of the ones i was interested in by running them through WBAC as realistically the difference is the hit you could be saddled with if you had to sell . Some of their mark ups were ridiculous and unsustainable. Then you factor in you were looking at possibly the high spot in the cycle and it makes for massive depreciation.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

On the various car buying sites, the value of my Disco has dropped £9,000. It’s basically on a par with what it was before. Anyone counting on a trade in high price to order a new car will be sunk.

As to garages, a couple of my local main dealerships have folded, but not the LR one yet.

I’ve lost all appetite for another new car. Property is the way ahead if my children would lighten up on post grad courses and over seas secondments. They make subsidising a 3rd world country look attractive.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum