Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

What & when to replace my Sept 2018 D5 3.0 HSE? Help!?

I bought my D5 out of the 3year PCP in September last year, as it was under mileage and worth a lot more than the PCP valued it at (as with so many people's cars right now). I'm up to 36k, and would like to replace it some time in Q4 2022 or Q1 2023.

Question is, I'm a bit out of touch with the Disco 5 product range but don't believe there's any kind of hybrid option announced yet, is there (beyond the mild hybrid tech which doesn't really do much?)? I don't want to choose a car which is fully electric as it doesn't suit my long-distance holidays to the Outer Hebrides, or longer work journeys. But I'd quite like something hybrid so my 6-mile each-way commute to work each day wasn't needing the engine. And buying a brand new diesel, to run for another 4 years seems a bit backwards.

Do we know if the Disco is going hybrid any time soon to enable this?

Or, from people who know far more about the latest state of play than I do, what other options are there for me? I want a big 4x4, high-seating position is my priority, along with boot space. Wouldn't say no to better 2nd row leg room too for my kids as the D5 is a bit woeful there and they are growing fast. Doesn't have to be a 7-seater, could live with 5 quite easily, but I absolutely don't want a smaller boot than I currently have, ideally.

Advice much appreciated please?

Thanks all!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

There will be a plug-in hybrid version, but not sure when. There is apparently a Defender P400e PHEV.

TBH, plug-in hybrids are the worst of both worlds. You have to fill a tank, and you have to plug it in, yet for the latter you only get a few miles of range. More trouble than it's worth for the added complexity and cost.

I, for one, would kill for the D300 MHEV. Seems like best of both worlds - diesel range and torque, and a boost from a KERS motor on acceleration to take a load off the drivetrain with a bit of regenerative braking thrown in. Nothing to plug in.

I won't go for a full BEV replacement for my D5 until I can get one with a real-world range of 350 miles or better with all of the capability and versatility the D5 has to offer. So far, Rivian seems to be the leading candidate there.
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Range Rover Sport P400e Hybrid?

But the I am biased as that is wait I ended up with! Whistle

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Wouldn’t bet on buying a new car of any sort just now. Russia being the main supplier of the raw materials from micro processors to batteries, will retaliate to sanctions by stopping supplies to the West.

Then factor in cost of living, higher interest rates, cost of energy, the list is endless. It’s a volatile world we live in.

I’d sit tight until things are clearer and that could be years away.
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

There won't be a plug in hybrid on current Discovery 5, don't believe the D7u platform will package 7 seats and battery. Current D5 will most likely disappear around 24/25, if its replaced, will most likely be a bev only as I don't believe the numbers stack up for a replacement off the new RR platform and JRLR'S intention to move up market still further.

If you want to stick with JLR your options are limited,
    Discovery Sport Phev - 1.5t 3 cyl engine

Defender
    RangeRover Velar
    Jaguar F Pace
    Range Rover Sport
    These all only come with a 2.0 4cyl engine in PHEV form, OK if only short journeys as can use the battery as well, but on long journeys your only going to have a 2.0l petrol lugging a 2 tonne plus vehicle so performance and economy will suffer.

I think RRS order books either about to or is closed pending the launch of the replacement in 2023, JLR have already stated they are prioritising chip supply to clear the backlog of RRS orders to clear out for new car.

New RR and RRS will get the 3.0l 6cyl engine in the PHEV which will give better performance, but I've seen 2year wait listed for RR so you'll be lucky to see anything on the new ones till 2024 I guess.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • drwhopilot
    United Kingdom 

Not sure a 4cyl PHEV would be a great option. I thought about it but rejected the compromises - mainly power/refinement/fuel consumption on longer journeys

Not aware of any competitive large 4x4 which is fully electric but not done any research

I tried a jaguar ipace - fantastic acceleration but too small, not a real 4x4 and a huge purchase cost for what seems a pretty basic car

I have a huge concern about ev range, charging infrastructure and battery life (They start out less good than manufacturers range figures and get worse as the years go by untill significantly deteriorated by 3-4 years)

I went for a D5 3.0 new last summer. Very pleased with it - getting high 30's on a fast run which I can accept for the size and capability of the vehicle.

The OP might want to sit tight for a couple of years (with LR Warranty!) and see how things develop...
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

This is all really useful insight - thank you everyone. Car currently running really nicely, even after a Vauxhall Combo rear-ended me in the Midlands on Weds night. They looked a mess after, with a crumpled front end, whereas my damage was thankfully minor - although the team at the bodyshop have a few bits to put right in a couple of weeks' time!

Next question, if you don't mind... Seems people aren't put off buying a new D5 today then, with a plan to run it for another 4 years? And if @drwhopilot you are getting high 30s, that's not too bad.

What's the lead time on a new order D5 today? A year?

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I used to think a 4 cylinder petrol engine would be rubbish so I had a P400e on an a extended test drive,.
    It is really good and you never really run out of battery and it is always there to assist the ICE engine.

It was quiet and smooth and really difficult to spot the ICE cutting in, I was surprised and convinced and now after the first 1500 miles would not go back.

I suggest if you can get your hands on one to try it and see for yourself.

P.S, averaging 58 mpg according to the computer.

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

A few at my work have got hybrids and fully electric cars. During the Xmas period when it was cold, one collegue told me his mileage from battery power considerably dropped due to the cold weather. The collegue with fully electric also said the same.

Am also not convinced with the batteries life span. I know mobiles can be charged up too a 1000 times, then the battery expires, but am sure car batteries will be alot longer lasting.

Another issue is, will the power grid cope when we all go electric, and having to put up with dimmed/flickering lights around the house?

Plus the increase in electricity bills and disposal of the old dead batteries. Not as green as it seems.

As much as i am all for saving the planet, I think alot of people have jumped on the electric gravy train far too early. Collegue with fully electric car is regretting buying it now. Getting nowhere near the 300 miles as advertised. 200 maximum she told me.

I think the government may do a you turn eventually and we go back to a greener combustion engine.

In the meantime will happily stay with my petrol lump.

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 26th Feb 2022 12:21 am. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I was contacted by Vardys, Aberdeen last week re a new car selling event. I told them if they could supply within 18 months I might be interested, otherwise no. They told me they couldn’t and wouldn’t like to guess how long the lead time was, so that was that, I was removed from their selling event.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

18 months...............! Wow!

• Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

possibly longer!! Most likely should I say. Have been lead to believe they wont even take orders for D5 com. anymore .

Even worst once you have one a friend of mine with a DS that needs a sensor that has been quoted 24 month back order. They have a very expensive ornament on their drive.
  • RDR
    United Kingdom 

Flipped my D5 Metropolitan order to a Range Rover HSE SWB PHEV. The boot space is as good if not a little better than the D5 so it ticked the boxes for me. I like that it has a 6 cylinder Engine in the PHEV over the 4. Not to fussed about the Battery performance I know what to expect in cold as we have owned BEVS since 2014 as our secondary car. Our first BMW i3 struggled to get 60miles range in winter! the Tesla and now VW ID3 all struggle with cold.

MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten, MY12 HSE - Gone, MY16 HSE Luxury - Gone, D5 MY20 D5 HSE - Gone
    MY23 Range Rover PHEV
  • Equilibrium
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

If you can take the lack of prestige badge and inferior (but more robust) interior materials. Take a look at a Toyota Highlander. It’s a traditional hybrid, not a plug in, but interior space Is better than a D5 but with a lower roof. You’ll enjoy some electric running. I got 48mpg on a 12 mile run in one. You’ll get one by the autumn too.

Drives: 2020 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Eiger Grey/Glacier
    Departed: 2019 MY20 HSE Luxury SDV6 in Carpathian Grey/Glacier, 440i, 320d, Toyotas, Mondeo, Citroen BX amongst others
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

What a mess! I was looking at Volvo XC90 which has some stock available, and also BMWs last night... both have stock cars around the UK, brand new. Land Rover has nothing.

I will take a look at the Toyota, for interest. Thanks for the idea...

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum