Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• T16ole88

Whats coming for the disco, NewOrder, 3-dealer, 3- answers

I have a 2019 commercial and thinking recent it may be worthwhile ordering a new one given the potential delays.

I’m not sure it’s the right thing to do, though I’m worried it may be discontinued.

Does anyone have an idea on the future of the discovery commercial.

Is there going to be hybrid option, if so, will it retain the 3.5t towing capacity, is an all new 6 on the horizon, could it even be discontinued.

I spoke with three dealers about a new order and told

1) we’re not taking new orders as the MY23 is coming
    2) 9-12 months
    3) 18-months if you’re lucky

Gone sadly are the days of 10% off and a factory order arriving in 3-months!
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

I’d look elsewhere. Plenty of alternatives tbh.

Rumour control, backed up by LR actions and inactions thus far, has it the D5 is to be discontinued with no replacement.

I can’t be arsed replacing mine atm. It goes fine, so it stays. I certainly wouldn’t be going to a dealership and them kidding on they are doing you a favour at rrp, whilst ripping you off on your trade in when the new order finally arrives.

It’s like giving them a blank cheque and trusting they won’t get carried away with their profit which after Covid/furlough, which ain’t going to happen. They’ve got two years of near zero income to make up from Joe Public and by God they’ll shaft us.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Pretty sure there wont be a D6 yet alone a commercial option , Thats going to become Defender territory.
    They nearly dropped the Disco at D4 but the Defender project was taking so long. How many others have been fooled thinking a disco 4 is coming towards them only to realise its a Defender.
  • T16ole88

Darras wrote:
    I’d look elsewhere. Plenty of alternatives tbh.

Rumour control, backed up by LR actions and inactions thus far, has it the D5 is to be discontinued with no replacement.

I can’t be arsed replacing mine atm. It goes fine, so it stays. I certainly wouldn’t be going to a dealership and them kidding on they are doing you a favour at rrp, whilst ripping you off on your trade in when the new order finally arrives.

It’s like giving them a blank cheque and trusting they won’t get carried away with their profit which after Covid/furlough, which ain’t going to happen. They’ve got two years of near zero income to make up from Joe Public and by God they’ll shaft us.

Fair enough, see I love mine, and I don’t really think there’s any real replacement given the tax breaks a commercial offers.

It does it all well, tows nicely, reverses a heavy trailer up the step drive, great ride with the air suspension, something no pickup can offer, looks good. fits in anywhere, practical, the list goes on.

we have two and they’ve been utterly reliable.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Okay, you’ve answered your own question. Thumbs Up
  • conts355
    United Kingdom 

Had call today from dealer to say 11 months on commercial still in holding pool,And more than likely it will mow be MY23.5!

Placed order for MY22…..

Prob more features dropped from previous models.
  • eelpout
    United States 

Popsdosh wrote:
    Pretty sure there wont be a D6 yet alone a commercial option , Thats going to become Defender territory.

if the D5 is truly the last of the Discovery's, I think there's going to be a fair amount of unhappiness in the existing customer base. Having to go to that school-bus-barge that is the 130 to get any kind of cargo space is ludicrous.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

@eelpout - you are spot on. I couldn't agree with you more.

It would be a brand-moving decision for me!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

and for me
    However I did say a while ago that the D5 was the end of the Discovery range.
    I also believe that many many people will move away from the brand as the Defender isn’t the right car for a lot of people. This am be seen by the amount that are up for sale after only a short period of tima

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 10th Jun 2022 9:35 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Me as well

MY17 First Edition - 3L Diesel Td6 - Farallon Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips.
    MY18 Hse Luxury - 3L Petrol Si6 Supercharged - Santorini Black - Roof rails,side steps,tints,tow bar,mudflaps,door strips,22's,dynamic pack 1,bonnet vents,t.v,dual view,frontcooler,360°camera,rear cooler/warmer,roof vane,black LR badges,wade sensing,door sill plates,boot liner, solar screen,wind deflectors,service plan,tracker,speed camera detector,dual dash cameras,ceramic coating.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

The way fuel prices are going there wont be a luxury SUV market anymore in 2025. Why do JLR need to develop a new vehicle when they cannot even supply the one that already exists . One way of making more money is cut down on developing vehicles that are not likely to sell in volume and im afraid thats the D6
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Russell wrote:
    and for me
    However I did say a while ago that the D5 was the end of the Discovery range.
    I also believe that many many people will move away from the brand as the Defender isn’t the right car for a lot of people. This am be seen by the amount that are up for sale after only a short period of tima

At the moment theres a huge carrot to get out of a defender and some are making money out of this.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep, you’re right. Would I spend £60 to £70k plus on a new diesel or petrol Disco? No way, it’s a fools errand.

Ask me about spending that on an electric vehicle and the answer would be different.

If there’s one thing this present crisis has taught me, it’s get rid of the fossil fuel vehicles. They will become white elephants sitting on the driveway. The cost is only going one way. Anything else is just throwing money down the drain.
  • T16ole88

I’m happy to embrace an EV.

But this is a commercial vehicle, and part of a it’s role (which I can’t do without) is towing

And at present, an EV for towing is just not a option.

My conundrum is more along the lines of do I wait and get a few more years out of mine, which is the more sensible option, but it runs the risk of it being discontinued.

And being so tax efficient, it’s a no brainier in comparison to anything else.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum