Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

Infra red reflective screen

What does this do? The reason I ask is that I have two devices on my windscreen, that depend on GPS, namely the dashcam and Aguri radar detector. I have installed both devices and neither pick up the GPS signal. Are others experiencing this? Does anyone know if this reflective screen could block GPS signals?

Cheers

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • J77
    Scotland 

I think it does.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Re: Infra red reflective screen

pdes wrote:
    What does this do? The reason I ask is that I have two devices on my windscreen, that depend on GPS, namely the dashcam and Aguri radar detector. I have installed both devices and neither pick up the GPS signal. Are others experiencing this? Does anyone know if this reflective screen could block GPS signals?

Cheers

I think you may require an external antenna 📶 as it may well block the signal. It should tell you in the dashcams/ detectors manual.

Anyhow how is the Aguri speed camera detector??

I have the road angel gem and its fantastic. Also camera wise it's a toss up between the road angel halo dash cam front and rear coverage or the Road Hawk. Can I ask what your using dash cam wise.
    Decisions Rolling Eyes
  • pdes
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Santorini Black

I have used the Aguri for a year or so and have no complaints but I have nothing to compare with. However, I have been really impresed with the service and advice.

The dashcam is Blackview 650 dual. It seems to work well but again, I have nothing to compare with. My only gripe is trying to upgrade the firmware it's pretty hit and miss and can take many attempts.

D5 HSE SDi6, 2019, Santorini Black, privacy glass, HUD, loads of gizmos!! 😃😃😃
    Series 1, 1953, 86"
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Thanks for that, I will look into your dashcam as sure the reviews were good. Never heard of Aguri though. Snooper and Road Angel are best detectors according too the Car magazines best buy, plus Road Hawk and Road Halo also. I usually read the reviews and what is advised as you get what you pay for. Wise to spend a little extra in my opinion as it's a minefield out there and last thing I want too do us purchase one minus an important feature Laughing

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 31st Mar 2017 10:28 pm. Edited 3 times in total
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

Do you have them in the black spotted area by the rear view mirror?
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I have those dots in my car also, but not sure of there purpose. Is it too block out sunlight like I was told?? Rolling Eyes
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

No, that is where you are supposed to attach devices that need a "clear" view of the outside world.

I have a French auto-route tag, see here:- https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/support/tag-installation
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Well I honestly never knew that as it never told me in the car manual. Also whilst on the subject of speed camera detectors, if anyone is going too France, as a few on the forum say they regularly do, they are illegal. They will fine you and make you run over it by sticking it under your front wheel Sad
    How they will further enforce this is beyond me as sat navs and the D5 infotainment gives you camera warnings. I presume that it has maps for all of Europe Question
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I had the same thought, but have not checked the LR maps!!

You never know LR may be aware of the restriction and have no warnings for France. Maybe!! Rolling with laughter
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Apparently you can switch of the camera warnings on the sat navs, but not sure if you can disable them on the D5 though?? I wouldnt worry about the D5 though, they have too catch you using a detector in the first place, plus also catch you using it on your sat nav. Am pretty confident they won't crush your D5 unless the French coppers run around in army tanks Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Last edited by Road Runner 2017 on 31st Mar 2017 11:01 pm. Edited 1 time in total
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Road Runner 2017 wrote:
    Well I honestly never knew that as it never told me in the car manual. Also whilst on the subject of speed camera detectors, if anyone is going too France, as a few on the forum say they regularly do, they are illegal. They will fine you and make you run over it by sticking it under your front wheel Sad
    How they will further enforce this is beyond me as sat navs and the D5 infotainment gives you camera warnings. I presume that it has maps for all of Europe Question

The manual does tell you about the black spot areas and that GPS can be picked up there but no where else on the screen

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

I dont possess a D5 manual Russ Laughing
    Just googled the black spots and it says it does act as sun visor. Rolling with laughter
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Thought you had picked up your D5

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 

Nope still in transit from somewhere in England too Scotland. Only got taxed late yesterday evening or early today I believe. They only had the invoice at hand with the cars details, as I asked for a few photos so I could put them up on the forum. Should be here tomorrow and pick up end of the week as accessories being added.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum