Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ian2206
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Loire Blue

Air conditioning fail and repair

With the current extreme heat no air con is not ideal.

Here's the story......and outcome.

Back in May, the air conditioning started to not the car as cool as it should. It’s a bit subjective, however one day it just didn’t cool the interior at all. So I booked her in to my local LR dealer for investigation, and I also asked them to investigate the parking sensors which were intermittent in operation, along with the parking aid and the rear camera parking aid graphics.

The result of the investigation was that the software for the sensor system was re-installed and has worked perfectly since, so that’s good news. The investigation into the aircon showed that the condenser had split.

I sked if replacing the split condenser would becovered by LR as a goodwill gesture (Its an EX LR company car, 4 years old and only ever serviced by a LR dealer).
    The service engineer said he would enquire and revert. Sure enough within a couple of days he contacted me to say that LR had agreed to a goodwill gesture to cover 80% of the cost of the replacement of the condenser and the total system repair. So that’s more good news.

So I booked the car in on 27th May to have the condenser replaced. I got a phone call mid-morning to say that the condenser wasn’t in stock and that the repair couldn’t be performed, and could I come and collect the car and re-book? I asked what had gone wrong and it became clear that it wasn’t clear to anyone how it could be that the car was there without the part being in stores. So that’s not good news.
    I picked it up from an very apologetic service engineer and rebooked it for Monday 11th. It was confirmed as a 2-day job to provide suitable contingency.

I dropped the car off last Monday for a 2 day job to replace the condenser……I got it back yesterday, 1 week later. That’s both good and bad news. So why a week to accomplish a 2 day job……once the condenser had been replaces the technician went to pressurise the system only to find that the clutch on the compressor was locking and was visibly damaged, and apparently over pressurising the system so there was a delay whilst a new compressor was ordered and supplied. On Friday when they cam to fill the system with gas, the garage realised that they didn’t have sufficient gas to charge the system so this had to wait till Monday.
    So the long and the short is that a new condenser, compressor, system re-gas and consumables have been installed and LR picked up 80% of the cost.

So, I am happy with the work performed, happy with the support from the service engineer, happy with LR’s contribution and slightly disappointed with the first visit when there was no condenser. All in all a reasonable LR experience and on the back of it booked the car in for a 4 year service next month.

Sorry for rambling on
  • gavsta

Ian, glad you've come away happy.

As I'm also in Herts, which dealer was that?

Listen out for any gurgling noises from the AC, which can suggest the gas is running low, due to a leak. My previous AC woes led to replacement compressor/condenser/seals and involved multiple visits to the dealer, over many months, as they replaced the various bits to eventually resolve the issue.
  • Ian2206
    United Kingdom 

Hi Gavsta,

The dealer was Grange at Hatfield.
  • gavsta

Was Grange the supplying dealer?
  • Ian2206
    United Kingdom 

The supplier/seller was Harwoods in Basingstoke.
  • gavsta

That's great to know, as Grange, Hatfield are my local dealer, and I'm new to the JLR fold.
  • Ian2206
    United Kingdom 

I've had variable experiences with them over recent years, however its all been people related and those people appear to have moved on.

I've been with the brand since 1997.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum