Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Aldo
    United Kingdom 

2.0?

Shame about that but sounds positive you are getting it reimbursed.

Did they give you a lead time?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Hi, what warranty company was that out of interest please?

I am still with LR named warranty. Had the crankshaft pulley and belt go a couple of weeks ago. All paid for by the warranty as was the car hire for four days. It would have cost me £900 for the parts and labour and just over £400 for the car hire.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good it’s not costing me anything bar just over £1k per year for the warranty, but it’s the pure nuisance value of it.

Rolling Eyes
  • Flying Scotsman

2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Namib Orange

Aldo wrote:
    2.0?

I have 3.0l. Hopefully all will be well and the engine will last longer that the bodywork. I was initially told 3 days for delivery of the engine, once authorised by Landrover, however it has taken “much longer than we expected “
  • Flying Scotsman

Darras wrote:
    Hi, what warranty company was that out of interest please?

I am still with LR named warranty. Had the crankshaft pulley and belt go a couple of weeks ago. All paid for by the warranty as was the car hire for four days. It would have cost me £900 for the parts and labour and just over £400 for the car hire.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s good it’s not costing me anything bar just over £1k per year for the warranty, but it’s the pure nuisance value of it.

Rolling Eyes

I purchased the car from a Subaru dealer and it came with the Subaru warranty which includes AA plus cover up to 5k of warranty work, courtesy car , although I was offered a corsa, when my car broke down at 7pm, so it wasn’t too bad. The AA were with me within 50 mins and a recovery lorry about 30 mins later, they dropped the car and myself off at home, only 10mins from where I broke down, they then came back the following morning and uplifted the car and dropped it off at the dealership. I can’t complain they were very good and informative.
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Flying Scotsman wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    2.0?

I have 3.0l. Hopefully all will be well and the engine will last longer that the bodywork. I was initially told 3 days for delivery of the engine, once authorised by Landrover, however it has taken “much longer than we expected “

Goodness you have done well to get the 3.0 under a warranty. If it was a JLR warranty, they would’ve potentially declined it Thumbs Up

Last edited by Aldo on 18th Jan 2023 11:13 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Flying Scotsman wrote:
    Aldo wrote:
    2.0?

Hope they were honest with you , as it wont be a new engine but a recon unit . JLR do not have any new engines for the 3litre as the stock has been used up as the failure is so common . . Another word of warning make sure that the 24months warranty on the recon one is applicable to you as if JLR replace them under goodwill you dont have any warranty on them .
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Got to agree. As LR named warranty paid for my new engine and there’s a VAT invoice, I got a two year warranty on it so even if I cancel the warranty now, it’s covered, which I wouldn’t do tbh.
  • Flying Scotsman

Eventually got my car back last week, a brand new engine fitted by Landrover Edinburgh, 90% paid by Landrover and the other 10% paid by my warranty company. The final bill was just a shade under 20k, I also got a 2 year warranty on the engine.

Just not sure if i should now keep it, it only has 28k on the clock and a brand new engine? Very Happy Very Happy
  • Aldo
    United Kingdom 

Well you’ve got 2 years cover for any significant engine failure.

If you like the car keep it, that’s the way id think of it anyway.
  • Craigp
    England 

Has there been any reports of second engine failure? Have they actually sorted out what causes the failure, or is it a design issue, that can't be resolved.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

They have never sorted that failure issue and the engines are outof production now they have been failing for the last ten years at least . JLR just cough up when one goes as long as its been dealer serviced.
  • Mackers
    United Kingdom 

Another Failure

Well another Engine Failure to add to the collection, 69 Plate Disco with 19500 on the clock, 2LT Diesel Inginium Engine. Just over 3 years old and thank god I took out an JLR extended warranty as I knew this day would come.
    Thankfully event happened at low speed on a generally quiet road, but occurred with no warnings other than the total loss of power and a yellow engine light, gear selector retracted and pressure lost in brake pedal. So car is now in the garage, initial health report showing 2 of the cylinders have failed giving the loss of power.
    Is this what others have experienced with their failures? I’m struggling to get JLR to understand the severity of this, especially as now the car is out of manufacturers warranty, they won’t give me a loan car, I’m having to wait for the claim to be put to the Extended Warranty to get a loan car sent to me. I no longer want this car, or anything to do with JLR, this is the last in a long list of failures.

Rant Over…!
  • Whippetman
    England 

My 2litre engine went at 18,000 miles just low power for a while and diagnosed as 2 cylinders gone.
    Under 3 years old , numerous electrical gremlins, leaked windscreen and crap dealership ,fighting for loan car ……
    GONE Very Happy

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Re: Another Failure

Mackers wrote:
    Well another Engine Failure to add to the collection, 69 Plate Disco with 19500 on the clock, 2LT Diesel Inginium Engine. Just over 3 years old and thank god I took out an JLR extended warranty as I knew this day would come.
    Thankfully event happened at low speed on a generally quiet road, but occurred with no warnings other than the total loss of power and a yellow engine light, gear selector retracted and pressure lost in brake pedal. So car is now in the garage, initial health report showing 2 of the cylinders have failed giving the loss of power.
    Is this what others have experienced with their failures? I’m struggling to get JLR to understand the severity of this, especially as now the car is out of manufacturers warranty, they won’t give me a loan car, I’m having to wait for the claim to be put to the Extended Warranty to get a loan car sent to me. I no longer want this car, or anything to do with JLR, this is the last in a long list of failures.

Rant Over…!

Personally I would keep quiet about ditchng JLR till your claim is dealt with as most likely you may have to rely on goodwill from them . As certainly if it was a 3 litre with broken crank the warranty would not cover it and I assume they may use the same get out on a 2litre.
  • PSC747
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Hi new to the JLR experience. Beginning to feel like I've entered a time portal and gone back to the 70s! I didn't realise engines blew up anymore. From what I've been reading it would seem the LR extended warranty is a no-brainer. Mine is the SD 3.0 and it's coming up to 3 years old and 28k. Do you think the warranty would cover a new engine and hire car if needed?
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum