Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

Another engine failure

What can I say? No warning light, nothing. The engine just expired at 30k odd miles, removed to the LR dealership and a replacement engine required, they are on back order.

The dealer is attending to it. Pity, I actually quite liked the car. Just one of those things, no point in getting wound up about it. Wink

Did think it might be a time to ask SWMBO if I can buy a Hayabusa to tide me over until it’s returned, although I am getting a curtesy car, so that might be knocked on the head.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Sorry to hear that... Amazing we live in a world where engines are on back order............... Shocked

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, but I half expected it. It’s no biggie. It will get repaired.

tbh, I am quite happy in anything that’s got two or four wheels. Couldn’t care less what it is or how old. If it goes it’s a bonus. I don’t really need transport, although it’s handy. Anyway, I am past getting all anxious about anything these days. Better things to do than fret over a lump of metal. Thumbs Up
  • Whippetman
    England 

Unbelievable !

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Sorry to hear this!!

Which engine was it? 2L or 3L? Diesel?
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

2lt diesel. Had it since new.

You wouldn’t actually have thought anything was wrong with it. No noise, loss of performance, nothing, not even a warning light. Just behaving normally.

However, I noticed it used about a litre plus of oil in a week. Top of the dip stick level to just under the lower mark. I am OCD in checking levels

No sign of any leakage. Got it into the dealership.

Bought and serviced all main dealer. Had about 6 new LRs over the years, got the LR warranty. I am honestly not bothered about it.

I believe quite a few had similar problems with both the 2 & 3lt engines. Mostly 2’s that said.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Yes... That is why I was asking... Seems that LR have designed another weakness in to one of their engines!!

I had the 2.7tdv6... 1 was perfect... Other failed following timing belt change due to LR not replacing oil pump with the modified version and 9 months later it snapped off destroying the engine,!!

Now have a 3.0tdv6 and 70k Kms and it is running perfectly (touch wood!!)

Have heard of far more 2l versions failing than the 3l (in the d5!!) Not talking about D4!!
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

The D5 3litres just getting to the right age 😉.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I was going to say welcome to the club, but it’s not one many would want to join Shocked

It turns out mine failed due to a nut coming off in the turbo, and then bits of metal getting sent through the engine. Apparently the oil filter was full of swarf

LR replaced the complete engine plus turbo, plus a new battery as the car had stood for over a month waiting for the new engine to be delivered.

The new engine was much quieter than the old one, just shows how much you get used to a noise when it builds up slowly over time. I was told it was probably timing chain rattle, something all engenium engines suffer from

Good luck.

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thanks. Very Happy

The service manager said there were metal particles found in the oil. I asked him what the specific cause was and he said it was “technical”and he needed the diagnosis agreed with JLR, not that he thought there would be any disagreement, so I didn’t enquire further atm.

We will see how it progresses, but I really don’t anticipate any problems,
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Oh, forgot to update, I heard a couple of days ago that my LR extended warranty is covering the cost of a new engine etc. and the car hire continued. It’s all been authorised.

The engine has been ordered, but when it’s delivered to the dealership and the work completed is a bit of a mystery. Personally I think Christmas this year.

I am still unsure what exactly caused the problem.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Are you getting a new engine? My brother-in-law was given a reconditioned one!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yep a new one. It’s being supplied direct from LR apparently and as I mentioned, is on back order. That said, it’s what I am being told anyway.

I would also think I’d get a warranty on it simply because it’s being paid for, albeit not by me, rather than a goodwill gesture.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I’m not sure you will get a warranty on the new engine. Mine was replaced by LR but I specifically asked when I collected it and there is no warranty given as I (as the consumer) were not paying anything to wards the repairs

I would check that if I were you

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Thanks, either way I’ll have to live with it. There’s a few unknowns atm. Mind you, so long as I keep the warranty, then it shouldn’t be a problem. Laughing

I don’t know what my long term plans are for the car. I do have better things to throw the money at and new cars ain’t it, but then I tend to pay cash for them and subsidising the kids at Uni is a big one. The cost would be the GDP of a small third world nation! In fact, I’d do LR a swap, they pay that and I’ll pay for their new engine. Laughing
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum