Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Questioning whether I should be buying 'only' a mild hybrid

I've been in the holding pool for a new D5 Metropolitan since March. Was told 9-12 months, but fully expect it to take longer.

But the wait is making me question whether it's really right to be buying 'only' a mild hybrid diesel car which I intend to run for 4-5 years, and not something which at least has some element of pure electric traction about it, like an X5 hybrid with its 50+mile battery range.

I went to look at one at the local BMW dealership, but you lose some valuable boot space for the batteries (the floor is raised), plus I'm not as keen on the slightly lower driving position.

Had me wondering if I should swap my order to the new RR Sport as it has a phenomenal battery range, but the boot's also a bit smaller and I read the driving position in Autocar's road test this week is described as 'Medium High', so I'm guessing that has to be lower than the Disco? Plus as with any new model LR (or RR), I'd be even more concerned about reliability.

Anyone driven the new RR Sport and got any comments about its suitability vs a Disco?

Priorities for me are a high driving position as I have awful hip/back issues
    * Big boot space for holiday / road trip luggage
    * Good 2nd row space (Disco is poor here anyway)
    * I don't really need 7 seats, hardly use them

Biggest concern with diesel-only is what problems it might cause in a few more years, as more people look at big combustion engined 4x4s as polluting beasts!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

There is a forum member on the RRS sister site who moved from a D5 to a new shape hybrid Sport.

Have a look over there, his forum ID is Milky400

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

My view is that a plug-in vehicle will never be a suitable option for me unless charging technology evolves to the stage that a full charge takes less than 10 minutes and run the vehicle for 400+ miles.

My plan is to keep the current D5 (MHEV) running on diesel until one of the following happens: Hydrogen power becomes a viable option, my requirements change or the current vehicle becomes unusable and I'm forced to change sooner.

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I presume you mean full electric not hybrid?

2017 HSE now sold, if you own WF17AXN then you have a well sorted car!
    2022 Range Rover Sport P400e HSE Dynamic and 2023 Sport P440e Dynamic SE on order
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Changing vehicles at this time, must be a ‘need to’ rather than a ‘nice to’.

Limited used choice and long lead times for new are playing havoc with the car industry to the point that there is no clear answer on which way to go.

Choosing between a PHEV, MHEV, EV is more about how you will be using it.

We tow a trailer periodically…so no EV.
    Being retired, much of our daily use is short journeys….so diesel options are not ideal.
    To us a PHEV could be an obvious choice provided the EV range was sufficient to cope with our typical daily use…it isn’t quite at the moment. Closer to 100miles would do it…for us.

So we wait.
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

I looked at both options before getting the MHEV D5 back in August last year. The boot space on the RRS is compromised due to the batteries which made it a no go for me. On top of this the dealer said steer well clear as the mileage is not what they state currently.
    I am glad I went down the route I did with the current state of the energy market and the potential for large blackouts this winter and into next year.
    As others have said I would stick with MHEV diesel D5 and wait and see what happens as there will be some major changes over the next 4/5 years.

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

Can you stick it through a company?

Big thing with the range on the PHEVs is once you hit a decent range (like the X5 you mention) and the Sport Hybrid (think it’s 70 miles) you get down to 5%BIK which makes a massive diffference on the cost of it!

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum