Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• gavsta

The Metropolitan has landed

The MY23.5 Metropolitan finally arrived today, having been ordered in July 2021, so one week short of 17 months.

As with any new car, I'm understandably excited. Please, LR, let me have a reliable one!

Opted for the following:

Charente Grey
    Caraway Windsor Leather
    Natural Charcoal Oak veneer
    Full extended leather upgrade
    Massage Seats
    Gloss black 22" alloys
    Full size spare wheel
    Black roof rails
    Loadspace partition net
    Headlight power wash
    Solar attenuating windscreen
    Heated washer jets
    Twin speed transfer box
    Configurable Terrain Response
    Towing pack
    Wi-Fi Enabled with Data Plan

The Activity key was removed from the options list, so I'll look at getting that retrofitted.

The car is being treated to PPF and ceramic coating, so pictures will be coming soon.
  • Craigp
    England 

Sounds great. Fingers crossed for you that it's trouble free. Although the price these things cost it shouldn't be down to luck. Hopefully I won't be too far behind you. Keep us updated.
  • gavsta

Finally got into the car at the weekend, after PPF installation. Very happy with it, especially the colour, which looks different depending on the light conditions.

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Looks very nice! Be interested to know what kind of ££ you were looking at for PPF, versus something like a Williams Ceramic coating being applied... (by a valeter, not by the dealer!) Wink

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • gavsta

Ceramic coatings and PPF do different things.

The former provides protection from dirt, and enables the car to be cleaned very easily. The latter provides protection from stone chips and even small scratches.

In my case, and even those dropping £5k on full PPF coverage, for their collectable cars, a ceramic coating will be applied on top of the PPF. I wanted to protect the bonnet and front bumper from stone chips, and ensure the car was easy to clean.

On many modern cars, with gloss black pillars, the paint used is really soft, and picks up scratches very easily. Look at those areas in bright sunlight or using an LED light, and your heart may sink as you see a network of micro-scratches. Covering those areas in PPF resolves that - budget £100 per pillar. Unfortunately, the Disco uses that gloss black in lots of areas, e.g. wheel arches (£100 a pop), front bumper and even side skirts. This use of PPF is more about aesthetics.

One note of warning. Not all installers are equal. Well installed PPF should be nigh-on edgeless.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

Fascinating - thanks for the explanation... They say you learn something every day.........! That's today sorted!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Super88sonic
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Curious how have you found having the Solar Attenuating Windscreen?

In a country that doesn't get much intense sun is this worth the £220 option? Car will be locked into build shortly so wondering if its worth adding.

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up
  • gavsta

It's difficult to be objective without evidence. My hope was that the car would stay cooler when parked in the sun. When the sun was out, back in May & June, I felt that was the case.

Although we rarely have really high temperatures in the UK, the sun can be really strong.

Would I tick the UV windscreen box again? Yes, without hesitation.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 

I've always wondered about quietly 'upgrading' if / when I next need a new 'screen. You're on the phone to National Windscreens and they ask you all the questions to get the right bit of glass in stock... but who ever checks that's what the car was built with........?

Heated windscreen, Sir? Yup.
    Solar attenuating screen? Um, yup!

OK, I'll get my coat.... Rolling Eyes

• Super88sonic
    United Kingdom 
    2020 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Farallon Black

Good to know, thanks for the tip guys. Added it to the build in the end Very Happy

The old versions had a purple tint to them when looking from the outside. I think this has now been removed
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I suppose they will be offering prescription windscreens next. (Nod to Billy Connolly) Laughing
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Like the look of the carroway interior, although haven't seen one in person yet.
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

747_JK wrote:
    Looks very nice! Be interested to know what kind of ££ you were looking at for PPF, versus something like a Williams Ceramic coating being applied... (by a valeter, not by the dealer!) Wink

I've had both in the past.
    This time on the new Disco,
    I went for a full ppf from the guys as Glosppf.

2023 Dynamic-R Metropolitan Edition D300MHEV
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Re: The Metropolitan has landed

gavsta wrote:

The Activity key was removed from the options list, so I'll look at getting that retrofitted.

Curious if you were able to do this? The activity key is no longer available according to my dealer, but is still an available option on the Defender. Seeing conflicting reports about whether it is still possible to add to the Discovery after purchase without replacing an expensive module or not.
  • gavsta

No issues whatsoever. The local dealer was able to add it, as an accessory, without changing the KVM module. Saved a fair bit over the factory price too.

To head off another follow up question, that gives me three keys. 2 standard + the activity key.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum