Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• DiscoGaza
    United Kingdom 

Timing Chain Replacement

I sold my Disco3 in 2013 but 10 years on, I'm considering a Disco5. As with the entire used car market, second hand prices are crazy. However, I do have an option of a relatively low mileage car at a very good price but the owner says it has the dreaded timing belt rattle.

I've seen a few quotes for doing hhe work on Evoque, Disco Sport and Jaguar cars but haven't found any quotes for doing it on a Disco 5.

Anyone had to get it done and pay for it out of their own pocket?
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

I did ask on my D5 at a local Indi, and he said it’s more expensive on the D5 due to the engine being longitudinal whereas the Dsport is transverse. He quoted around 2k. I didn’t go ahead as the engine went bang 😳

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • DiscoGaza
    United Kingdom 

That sounds bad @al cope. I hope it was covered by warranty.

My D3 was reasonably reliable apart from the height sensors on the air suspension that failed on a frequent basis.

For the last 4 years I've owned a Volvo V90 Cross Country and it has been utterly reliable. A few minor warranty issues were done under warranty at the annual service but nothing major.

I'm still trying to get to terms with inherent unreliability that comes with owning a LR product.
  • al cope
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) HSE Corris Grey

Well after having every discovery model since 1991, the D5 was my last one, I now have a Volvo XC90

Al

Now gone - D5 HSE 2Ltr in Corris with black roof, black & dynamic packs & 22" black alloys, a bit of a change after 2 D3's and 2 D4's Smile
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, I’ve had 20 years worth of LR pain and dealer distain. This LR will be my last, although I’ve said that before. There’s only so many times you go back for a kicking.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum