Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• discus
    United Kingdom 

Configurator- Where have the options gone?

Just had a play with the configurator while idly contemplating replacing my MY19 HSE.

Found it is now very inflexible, with option packs instead of individual options, missing options that used to be there, and some pretty strange spec choices.

First dislike was there is no low range box as standard across the range? And to get it you have to choose the Advance off road pack which includes the rear locking difff. £1600

The towbar is now a towing pack with tow assist at £1600 The heated steering wheel is part of the cold climate pack even on HSE spec, electric rear seats optional on HSE. Full size spare over £1000.

Things like wireless phone charging are listed as zero cost options you have to tick?

I dont see any sign of the kick to open tailgate and the activity key?

Not impressed. Even if I went for metropolitan, I would still need to add several thousand pounds of packs to get towing and low range. Being able to choose say an HSE and add the options I want instead of being forced into packs was a much better way of doing it in my opinion.

Really the only thing I am seeing as an improvement is Pivi pro and the 3-D cameras. Struggling to find a specification/price combination I want to order.
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Yes I agree it's as if LR don't want you to buy a D5 anymore. You eve have to pay extra for the Merridian surround on the Metropolitan.

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Lo-range box as standard disappeared with the facelift.

One 'trick' Land Rover have been playing is to say unless the option is standard spec for your car, you can't have it. Even if it's a no cost option... So that's probably what that will mean if you have to tick a box for a 'no cost' option. They did this with the interactive driver display quite early on.

You are correct, they only want to really sell you a new Range Rover, Range Rover Sport, or high spec Defender if they can.

However, with Halewood having already having been earmarked for full EV production in 2024, there's a distinct possibility that the Discovery Sport non-PHEV may never go back into production, which means they have to try and build some actual Discovery's else one of their new 'Brands' is looking almost as lifeless as Jaguar...
  • eelpout
    United States 

it's sad I can't even spec a '24 with all the options I have on my '22 lease (no HUD anymore for instance).

did they ever fix the cross option issue with Advanced Tow Assist and Configurable Terrain Response? I don't have the latter because at the time they said they couldn't do both. my dealer figured maybe eventually there would be an update that might allow for this, but nope.

not sure what I'm gonna do when my lease is done early next year. guess I could try a Defender, but I know I'll be disappointed with the ride, no massage seats, less cargo space and worse MPG since it's less aerodynamic than the D5. And paying more for all that of course. Wink

Bother.
  • WmDisco
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery TDV6 SE Silicon Silver

I just looked at Defender configurator. Some very odd combinations within the packs. Like for like to Discovery it looks to me that Defender is more expensive as you say. No Air Suspension as standard on SE.

Also - no useful storage that is hidden from view - so where do you keep house keys, passports etc? Buy the 75th Anniversary one and switch the fridge off is an option I guess!

Defender is not a practical car or an alternative to Discovery in my view.

I suspect they are making life simpler whilst they prepare for next (electrified) Discovery. I want to see an option on that for a Diesel engine!!!
  • eelpout
    United States 

heh, wish we could get a diesel of any kind here in the U.S. where the importing of consumer diesels is viewed as bad. Wink

we have a narrower selection of Defender models available here, if we want the bigger 11.4" center display, we have to get an X model or higher (not the X SE). And what's with this (silly) gloss black hood on that model? Sigh.

Looks like they dropped the wheel arch moldings too.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

WmDisco wrote:

I suspect they are making life simpler whilst they prepare for next (electrified) Discovery. I want to see an option on that for a Diesel engine!!!

I think you will have a long wait for the Discovery what ever propulsion system . Discovery is touted as the introduction brand to LR so most likely to be DS and nothing bigger. Not even rumours of a d5 replacement which is very unusual and not likely to be high enough sales numbers to justify one.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I think there may be a few bugs in the configurator...

HUD is still available on lower specs as part of the technology pack... however, as all bar the HUD are included on the Metropolitan it doesn't present the tech pack. So either it's still in the ME or they should add it as an option. I wonder if dealers are able to add?

I don't subscribe to the sales numbers as an excuse for there being no full size Disco in the future. The sales figures for Discovery or Sport are rubbish at the moment as they just haven't built any. They're not pushing it much as they're still in a supply mess and are still directing most supply at Range Rover and Defender. I don't think they've built any non-PHEV Sports for a while now, and last I heard the order book was closed on those a while back for the current model year.

There are very few Discovery's (recent, or decent) available used.

It makes no sense (to me anyway) to have a Discovery entry point that is so low (let's say £40k) that the jump up to Defender is huge. With RR having gone so up market price wise, I think the Metropolitan is a better indication of where they want Disco to be. On the current platform they just can't do PHEV without losing the 7 seats which is just a no for the model.

With MY24 even RR specs are getting reduced still, although it's probably academic for most as by the time you get one if you order now, you'll probably be in MY26/27 and who knows what that will look like.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

There is definitely still a space in the range for the full size Discovery. Seven seat capability, with loads of practicality for day to day living, while still leaning more toward the comfort and luxury side than the Defender.
    It needs to keep its ruggedness too though, the strategic direction indicated by naming your top model 'metropolitan', literally 'off the city', and deleting low range gearbox seems quite bizarre to me for a Land Rover Discovery, that should be Range Rover territory.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

The demand for a seven seat discovery was dropping well before any component shortages . There are many buyers who have never liked the D5 and there are plenty that did go 5 that have gone back to a 4. The five lost it in the practicality and even personally prefer driving the 4 any time. Nobody on the farm rushes to drive the 5 and it wont be replaced .
    LR lost their way and im not sure they know where they are going , I could even suggest going all out EV with those size vehicles is a bad move. they should keep the options open as im not sure IC is a dead concept yet. They may be aiming at the wrong market.
  • eelpout
    United States 

seven seater: hate to have to think of considering a Defender 130, that thing with the added spare tire length is huge. I'm not sure it'll even fit in my garage.

plus, they really screwed up the cargo area with the 3rd row hump.

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I had the 130 for a weekend, and the loadspace is awful. The third row seats don't lock in place so bounce, and there's a huge gap between the back of the 2nd row which stiff will just disappear down. More incredibly in the X-Dynamic I had, not a single USB in the 2nd/3rd rows either.

A less practical 8 seater it is hard to imagine, and you won't get three adults in the 3rd row. And it is too long for UK use if you want to park it in anything other than a coach/lorry bay.

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Popsdosh wrote:
    The demand for a seven seat discovery was dropping well before any component shortages . There are many buyers who have never liked the D5 and there are plenty that did go 5 that have gone back to a 4.
    D5 sales only really dropped as they pretty much stopped making them as Defender production started. Supply vanished at that point and has never really come back. This month they are actually making a big batch of D5's, possibly because of the new house of cards strategy, and it would be embarrassing not to have any around...

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Ian_S wrote:
    I had the 130 for a weekend, and the loadspace is awful.https://youtu.be/J6ib384W3Ak

Nice video mate. I don't like the 130 styling from the outside at all, just looks wrong stretched so long. And now seeing the interior in detail, reaffirms my decision to not even consider it. What were they thinking.......!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

Ian_S wrote:
    Popsdosh wrote:
    The demand for a seven seat discovery was dropping well before any component shortages . There are many buyers who have never liked the D5 and there are plenty that did go 5 that have gone back to a 4.
    D5 sales only really dropped as they pretty much stopped making them as Defender production started. Supply vanished at that point and has never really come back. This month they are actually making a big batch of D5's, possibly because of the new house of cards strategy, and it would be embarrassing not to have any around...

You need to go back longer than that and compare volumns . The 7 seat Discovery does not produce enough sales to support a new development with the billions of pounds involved.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum