Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

Big Brother comes to MY24...

So, if we take the positives from this first, for Land Rover to be making these videos for each of their brands, they must be planing on them being around beyond July 2024, or you would simply kill the model off in June 2024. So, I think we can expect to see the current Discovery continue into at least MY25/2025.

The bad news clearly is this stuff can't be turned off permanently any more. You will have to reconfigure it each time you start the car.

I don't see this stuff as a step forward, I think either you are fully driving the car or you aren't driving it at all. The middle ground is fraught with issues IMO. I hate lane keep assist, battling it down poorly marked country roads is dangerous. Speed sign recognition is far from flawless, only yesterday the car said I was in a 50 when it was a 30. Ironically today, for no reason the car did an emergency brake on a clear road too, no idea why and fortunately no one was close behind me. Didn't bring me to a full stop, but flashed up emergency braking in the instrument binnacle and sounded an alarm...

Obviously none of this is the fault of Land Rover, but I think this is the first step in us finally losing control of our cars, or as those who legislate this stuff see them, mobile weapons.

One of the reasons I really wanted my car before this stuff arrived in mandatory form... Am hoping they don't have to retrofit to cars already sold!!
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Just looks like a pretty front end for features that the car has already had for years? Lane keep assist, speed sign recognition, forward collision protection are all there already. They all seem good things to have to me. In their present form they are not intrusive in day-to-day driving, and offer protection if needed. Not sure if this will be much different?
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Although at ignition on, all safety systems are reset to high, at least with 1 soft touch button you'll be able to switch them to a custom setting, not ideal, but legislation demands they default to on at ignition on.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • eelpout
    United States 

this will all likely change anyway once they start switching to the NVIDIA Drive system in a couple years. a little birdy told me this is being tested where I live in various JLR vehicles as NVIDIA is local to me.

I assume that is a future version of Pivi Pro? And that steering wheel mounted driver assistance button is new to me. Not on my '22 at any rate.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

I think a lot of this is mandated, and not down to JLR choosing to make this stuff switch on each time the start button is pressed. I was just doing some work for a client of mine in this sector, which led to me reading this policy doc:
    https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_22_4312

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum