Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• StinTov
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Silicon Silver

WarrantyWise - Buyer beware

I wanted to warn you all and tell a short story. Crying or Very sad

When my D5 went over three years old I wanted to make sure there was some sort of aftermarket warranty cover. Given an engine or gearbox could be £10k+ on failure. I asked LR for a quote (I know they use Carplan) they quoted £3.5k for 2 years cover. As this was out of budget I looked for alternatives and spoke to WarrantyWise who are endorsed by Quiten Wilson of TopGear fame. They offered my their top 40-40 policy for £1800 for 2 years. I asked specifically what the policy covers and they said (I have the call recording) "Everything electrical and everything mechinical" I'm not a mechicanic and presumed this covered everything except consumables items like tyres etc.

14 months into the policy and a routine service spotted an oil leak on both valve cover gaskets Shocked . I paid £160 for the main dealer diagnostic and was quoted £2.5k for 8 hours work and the parts below.

NLR166341 GASKET - CAMSHAFT CO
    R NLR017436 KIT - INJECTOR REFI
    R NLR017437 KIT - INJECTOR REFI
    R NLR017438 KIT - INJECTOR REFI
    M NLR013482 PIPE - FUEL
    M NLR013481 PIPE - FUEL
    M NLR059808 PIPE - FUEL
    M NLR078916 GASKET - EGR INLET
    M NLR075627 GASKET - EXHAUST MAN
    M NLR063121 CLAMP - TUBE
    M NLR008353 SEAL - THROTTLE
    M N1316152 SEAL - THROTTLE

I passed the quote onto WarrantyWise for authorisation which, after three days was declined. When I questioneed why I was told the seals and gaskets arn't mechcanical! I have fought this decision buy they are hiding behind T&Cs. Censored

Moral of the story read the T&Cs and ask a mechanic to explain what the non-covered parts means to you in the event of a claim.

Since I have been to an LR indi who says the parts quoted are mostly unncessary and are missing the main plastic valve cover. They have quoted £1100 inc VAT

I feel cheated and robbed by WarrantyWise.

Beware folks.

HSE Lux, MY18, Silicon silver 3.0d
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Jeez, that's an expensive way to learn that lesson. I feel for you...

I've sat in the dealer waiting area too many times listening to service reps telling people their non-LR sourced warranty still haven't responded, or very likely won't cover this, or won't cover that. No warranty is 100%, but for such a big and expensive car, I wouldn't want to own it (or be able to sleep at night) without a LR extended warranty, once it's passed 3yrs.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Sad

Last edited by Darras on 9th Aug 2023 7:07 am. Edited 1 time in total
  • Craigp
    England 

Thanks for the heads up on that StinTov. I think the answers you received to your question, most people would be taken in.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

I'd be wanting a refund on that warranty. I had a Homeserve policy once for the heating and hot water, and used it once when they replaced a pump. The cheap pump they used failed within a year and when they came out again they claimed they did not cover that type of system... so I got the guy to replace the pump and paid, and then complained and got the money for the cover refunded.

You don't have to get the LR extended warranty in blocks of 2 years. You should be able to get an inspection at dealer and then pay monthly by direct debit. They'll send you renewal docs each year.

There is supposed to be a clear unambiguous document on what's covered and what isn't with the policy. You get this with the LR one.

The other advantage of the LR policy is the dealers have a target for getting the work done quickly so you don't get told it'll take 3 months before they can look at it.
  • Popsdosh
    United Kingdom 

' There is supposed to be a clear unambiguous document on what's covered and what isn't with the policy. You get this with the LR one.'

Sorry some people who have had to claim for a snapped crank will find that amusing!! Its under things covered in the documentation.

Yes sir all mechanical failure is covered !! UNTIL we decide its an inherent design fault ,a list of these faults is not included in the docs,

Carplan are no better than some of the competition its just its an easier interface with the repairer for most customers that at not experienced in dealing with warranty companies.. All insurance is a lottery with only one winner ultimately. So you pay your money for a degree of peace of mind which rapidly disappears when you become one with an 'inherent defect' you thought was covered.
  • Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

To be fair though, if you have an LR warranty, you're more likely to have kept the car main dealer serviced, and in the case of the snapped crank, or 2.0L compression problems, you're then probably down the 'goodwill' route for getting it fixed. So I think you are more likely to get the desired outcome, even if the route to get there is a bit perverse.
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Sorry to hear that your warranty company aren’t honest!!

I have to admit that I took extended warranty when I bought my d5. It is done through REAL GARANT (I am in Luxembourg).

So far, they have been excellent and have LOST money on my D5 policy!!

A year ago… right hand EGR valve (€800 exc vat)
    Then I had the exhaust back-pressure valve started to squeak really badly… replace… (€1800 exc vat)
    This year,
    Left hand EGR valve + DPF filter … replaced!! (€3800 exc VAT!!!)

Not too bad for an insurance that cost me €2000 for 2 years when I bought my D5!!
  • Whippetman
    England 

Smart move! Bow down Bow down

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum