Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Marsie
    United Kingdom 

First edition advice

Have found a 66 plate first edition for sale and am thinking of having a look. As a previous employee of LR I have always steered clear of the first batch of any new model because of the potential of teething problems

I know the car is now 6 years and have almost 100k on the clock but were the first edition cars any more problematic than later models

It's a really well specced car and reasonably priced (Β£27k) but would I be better off avoiding it and getting a slightly newer (17/67 plate) lower spec car for the same money
    Cheers
    Paul
  • Marsie
    United Kingdom 

Never mind, bought the car today and am now the owner of a 2017 D5 first edition in silicone silver Thumbs Up
    Paul
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Congratulations and enjoy!πŸ‘πŸ˜Ž
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Marsie wrote:
    Never mind, bought the car today and am now the owner of a 2017 D5 first edition in silicone silver Thumbs Up
    Paul

Congrats too! I've not knowledge of the First Edition models, so couldn't add any value with a reply.

But you'll soon learn this is mostly a pretty quiet forum... about the same 20 owners chatting amongst each other. OK, slight exaggeration, but the Disco5 forum has never taken off like the D3/4 one did!

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

Congrats!!

I honestly don’t think you will regret it.

I have a very early 2017 model (408th of the production line!!) and so far other than a couple of things that have all been covered by warranty, the car has been perfect.

It has now done over 100000kms and a fair amount of that has been towing my horses. It has not skipped a beat.

I like it so much that I am actually thinking of buying a second D5 (just with the petrol v6 rather than the diesel v6) for when my daughter passes her driving license so that she has a car she can β€œuse” when necessary!!
  • BigCol66
    United Kingdom 

Well done I am sure you will have a good spec with the first edition. πŸ‘

Discovery 5 D300 Metropolitan.
  • mole
    United Kingdom 

Wanting a replacement for my 2012 D4 I waited until the D5 was launched. Viewed at local dealer and walked out as could not believe what I was seeing, and as for the rear end…….
    Waited for the launch of the Defender as it looked more like the D4. Had one on loan for a weekend and although it was OK, not quite suited for what I wanted.
    Then LR sent me a voucher for a half-day experience. Booked a D5. Well, once you are behind the wheel it is a wonderful car, and you cannot see the rear end!
    Collected my 2023 model year Metropolitan in August 2022, after only a seven month wait from ordering in January 2022.
    Now had the car for 13 months, covered 13K miles. I only live two miles from work but usually end up driving 25 miles just to experience the drive and listen to the Surround Sound!
    What is more, I now LOVE the shape of the rear end!!
    To anyone thinking about buying a D5, go for it, whatever your first impressions were!
  • JonM
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Carpathian Grey

If you search throught the posts from the early days of the forum, you'll see one theme for the early cars of "oil dilution". However, software patches seem to have sovled (or hidden the problem) and no one talks about it any more.

Last edited by JonM on 5th Oct 2023 2:58 pm. Edited 1 time in total

MY2022 D5 HSE D300 - with extra nice bits added
    MY2019 D5 HSE 3.0 SDV6 - sold to a dealer for a crazy price!
  • nebc100
    Luxembourg 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Namib Orange

If the oil dilution problem is just hidden, then mine happens to burn oil at exactly the same rate as it is diluting it because the level stays perfectly stable between two services 😁
  • Marsie
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies everyone. Will try and get some pics up and start a thread in the appropriate topic

Found a couple of small issues upto now but nothing serious. Very happy with the car and especially the fuel consumption. Already done almost 200 miles and averaged 36.8 over the total (according to the computer).

Need to get drivers door panel off as there is a rattle when closing it, can't hear it while driving but sounds cheap and nasty when closing the door. Guessing a stray cable or loose regulator bolt but will look at the weekend
    Paul Thumbs Up
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Hi I had one of the first First Edition out in the UK and kept it for nearly 5 years.
    As a whole it was trouble free, and the issues we had were mainly around software.
    They related to oil dilution early on which was sorted with a software patch and also other software issues that were all sorted over the first 18 months with software patches.
    Mechanically it was good with no major defects or issues and it drove really well with good fuel economy for a large 3,0 V6
    I only changed it for another one, this time with the new straight 6 diesel engine which is a massive step up from the V6
    Enjoy it. Thumbs Up

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum