Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• GreenLane
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Bad Smell / Burning / When Driving Incline...

I'm currently in the French Alps and the Disco 5 has been great, both for the trip over and also, whilst here.

However the last two days, I've experienced something odd. When doing prolonged climbs (for more than a couple minutes), there is a very very strong burning smell - not unlike a stuck brake calliper or the like.

It does not occur when driving flat or downhill. It seems to be after an incline only. Now this is incline on normal roads / so no rough stuff / but they can be relatively steep and as I say, for relatively long periods.

2017 HSE LUX, if that makes any difference.

What could the smell be? It's bad enough to make me nervous and it'll be booked into LR when back in the U.K.

Something about an incline that is causing the issue: maybe some fluids being moved away from where they need to be ?
  • harrythespider
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery TDV6 HSE Aintree Green

I would be suspecting either the ATF or possibly the TC as going uphill puts a fair ammount of strain on the auto system. How many miles on the clock?

3.0 HSE. climate HUD active diff. elec towbar. FBH and timed climate.Capability plus pack.split TV. surround sound. Intelligent seating. adaptive lights, wade sensing. 360 cameras.pro pack.cooler.advanced tow, auto park,activity key+ more!!!!
  • GreenLane
    United Kingdom 

Thank you for the reply as it gives me something to investigate.

It has bang on 40,000 miles and so it's low mileage ... if it's as you suggest, what should I be asking Land Rover to do / or look at?
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Perhaps not quite the same issue but your predicament rang bells with an incident we had a few years back in the Italian Alps. My vehicle at the time was a Volvo XC90 with about 35000 miles on the clock.

After a lot of high road trips I noticed a burning smell and assumed it was the excessive braking / dropping down gears on descents. But I then started to experience the gearbox being hesitant to changing up.

A call to Volvo tech in UK concluded it was ‘gunge’ in the gearbox caused by age (despite only 35k it was 5 years old) and more recent heavy gear use. I booked the car in for a ‘flush out’ on my return to the UK…but in truth once I came off the high gradients and drove for a few miles the gear change issue disappeared and I had no more issues or smells all the way back to the UK.

I returned to the Julian Alps in same vehicle the following year (after garage drained/flushed gearbox) and never had a recurrence.

Like I said this might be something entirely different to my experience, but worth a mention.
  • GreenLane
    United Kingdom 

Wolfpack, many thanks. Your account of events really does sound similar. What I'll do is wait until I'm back in the U.K. and call out LR Assist, as they've normally seen every issue under the sun. But I will use your example as a possible issue to explore. My gut says that my issue is the same as what you experienced.
  • GreenLane
    United Kingdom 

Just to update: LR Assist came out. He checked for codes and also manually looked over the brakes and engine.

His conclusion was that there was nothing wrong that he could see or find and that if I were to try and take it to a dealer, they'd only charge a bomb to say the same thing. His advice was to leave it be and see if it happens again. So that's what I'll be doing.
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

At least you saved on a dealer visit... And hopefully it was a one-off and won't come back.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum