Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Henningp
    Canada 

Leaking windscreen

Noticed a small leak yesterday while driving in heavy rain. Seems water i coming in from the upper seal just above my head on the drivers side. LHD I’m this case. I know it’s not a new issue. I have a 2022 model HSE R Dynamic.

Will be contacting my dealer tomorrow and see what is offered.

I’ve read that in the US a class action was started. I’m in Canada. Anyone know what the actual status is with LR regarding this issue.

Will keep you posted.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Same place as mine which filled the mirror recess in the sunblind causing me to tip water on my trousers on the way to a meeting!!!!

If they are like UK dealers they will tell you it’s not covered under warranty.

And yet hundreds if not thousands of D5 of all ages have suffered from this manufacturing defect.

In my case the windscreen was replaced as a ‘goodwill gesture’. I said replaced but I meant refitted.

The windscreen company subcontracted by the dealer to do this came to my house to do it. I wanted an independent opinion, to see what THEY said off the record about this fault.

They advised me that the windscreen could crack necessitating a new windscreen …and the inevitable delay in getting one from JLR.

In fact the seals were so poor on my windscreen they cut through it with ease and didn’t crack it.

The technician showed me the problem. It wasn’t the sealant as such but the primer on the glass that receives the sealant. He demonstrated that it could be scraped off the glass, when it shouldn’t be possible. So the gap was the primer lifting off the glass. They had done dozens in my area of different ages with the same underlying problem.

The technicians view was that the primer was not applied properly at the factory for whatever reason.

So it’s a known problem worldwide and shouldn’t be chargeable, but you may need to argue your case with your dealer.
  • Henningp
    Canada 

Many thanks for your reply. Very helpful. Dealer closed for a holiday Monday today. Will be at them tomorrow. I don’t want to initiate the repair until I’ve talked to them. Again many thanks.
  • Henningp
    Canada 

At last

At long last. Got my windscreen replaced. Living in Canada took longer. No debate that from my dealer that the screen was for their account. Since replacement all seems well. Fingers crossed.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

You were lucky! At the time of engine replacement, the main LR dealership discovered the dreaded windscreen leak.

They wanted to charge me £150 for resealing it. I got onto LRCS and they didn’t want to know - the usual. I contacted the executive office of the LR CEO and guess what? They weren’t helping either.

That was based on the fact that although my LR named warranty covered the cost of the engine, it didn’t cover the car hire for more than 7 days, which LR did for me.

They therefore thought they’d been good enough.

I argued my point, from manufacturing fault etc. but they weren’t budging, all over £150!

Now I don’t care how fond you are of LR and how wonderful you think the cars are, that is completely out of order. There’s no excuse for it, I’d even expect your dodgy second hand car dealer to behave better.

I wont be buying another LR after this and that’s after 7 new LRs. Banging Head
  • Whippetman
    England 

You’re Two years behind me Darras!

HSE LUX, Aintree Green GONE
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

👍

SWMBO and I both used to love LRs, she had one too, but not anymore. We’ve been treated abysmally as have a lot of others. Good news stories are far and few between.

Of course we all think our experience will be different until something goes wrong! Then LRCS disappear quicker than snow on a sunny day.

It’s not like it’s a cheap car to buy or run and I could put up with that if the reliability and customer services were top notch.

Anyway to calm me down and onto different matters, we went the other side of the Highland on Sunday afternoon for a wee trip before the NC500 lot descend on us. We went to Wick, Caithness (about 10 or so miles south of John O’Groats) to do the shopping at Tesco, makes a change from Ullapool and it’s a far bigger shop and then to Whaligo Steps. 360 down and 360 back up!

• Marsie
    United Kingdom 

Was looking at the house/cafe at the top of the whalligoe steps that was for sale recently. Could be lovely but imagine it could also be a bit wild on a windy day Laughing
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/17386263/ma...s-on-sale/

2017 3.0 First edition. Silicone silver with black pack
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

You walk past that house just before descending down the steps. Seems to be a tearoom and residential accommodation.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum