Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Craigp
    England 

Car to be laid up for 2 months

I won't be using my car for just short of 2 months. I'm pretty certain the battery will flatten so how should I prepare it. It will be outside on my drive. I'm thinking a battery charger connected to my towbar electrics operated by a timer maybe 2 hours a week. Any suggestions welcome.
    Also can I remove something easily to disable the engine starting. (Nothing too involved)

Thanks
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

Car should just automatically go to deep sleep after a few days, and battery should be fine. I’ve certainly had no issues with leaving it for just over a month.
  • Craigp
    England 

I don't think the car shuts down fully. The alarm system stays active so requires power. Not much granted but I've flattened a few batteries on the caravan before solar panel fitted, when everything shutdown except alarm.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Re: Car to be laid up for 2 months

Craigp wrote:
    I won't be using my car for just short of 2 months. I'm pretty certain the battery will flatten so how should I prepare it. It will be outside on my drive. I'm thinking a battery charger connected to my towbar electrics operated by a timer maybe 2 hours a week. Any suggestions welcome.
    Also can I remove something easily to disable the engine starting. (Nothing too involved)

Thanks

Not sure you need a timer if the charger is something like the ctek, You could leave it switched on all the time. It only kicks in with a maintenance charge when the voltage drops below a set level.

I’ve left mine plugged in through the 13pin tow plug for almost 3weeks without a timer and no issues.
  • RAW
    England 

Little solar charger would probably keep everything nice , we use to use them on the boat to keep the battery’s topped up when not in use
  • Craigp
    England 

Thanks for your suggestions. I will give them some thought. Thumbs Up
  • DieselRanger
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Silicon Silver

I've been using mine less, parked up in my garage. Have found that I need to condition the battery about once a month unless I drive it weekly or so. I have got "vehicle battery low - please drive" messages, but it may just be the old gal missing me a bit. Cool
  • Craigp
    England 

Thanks for that. I know it's good for 2 weeks or so but wouldn't be comfortable for much longer.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum