Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• JD
    United Kingdom 

Insurance

Hi All,

I know the increase in cost of insurance is hardly news but I’ve just had my renewal through for my 2019 D5 HSE Lux and it’s jumped from £900 to over £3800 ! Other than living in the south east of England, I’m not a particularly high risk.

Many insurers won’t even quote.

What are others doing for renewals? ANy tips or suggestions?

At these premiums, they are going to hit the second hand values.
  • terryall
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

I think the decision is already made for most of us if our renewal is around £3800. Most of us will probably move on to another brand which will be a huge pain but we are not millionaires. ( just drive their cars).
    Some people may indeed pay that sort of premium but I’d be interested what sort of premiums the big Audis, BMW ‘ etc command. I’ve got around 7 months of LR ownership left before decision time.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

That's pretty shocking!

I've just got my renewal through from Direct Line, 40% increase from last year but still well under 1k. That's also a 2019, but I'm up north and very rural.

Have you tried Land Rovers own brand scheme? That quotes for ongoing monthly payments, which you can leave anytime I think, so may be a better option than accepting a big premium.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

You are kidding? Rolling with laughter Their premiums are as bad or worse than the mainstream.

They even refuse to insure some LR owners.
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

No I'm not kidding. It is worth checking their offer, and the monthly cost option which you can leave at any time gives you options instead of taking out a 3.8k annual premium.
  • John C
    United Kingdom 

It's totally weird... my insurance dropped by a 3rd moving from a D5 to a Defender...

2024 Defender 130 Outbound Dynamic HSE, Carpathian Grey
    2020 SDV6 D5 HSE, Carpathian Grey, 2005 TDV6 D3, Cairns Blue 290K miler.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

discus wrote:
    No I'm not kidding. It is worth checking their offer, and the monthly cost option which you can leave at any time gives you options instead of taking out a 3.8k annual premium.

Maybe you should remind LR. Rolling with laughter

• discus
    United Kingdom 

Discovery HSE 2019
  • John77
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Fuji White

Got Direct Line down to a 30% increase instead of the 100% increase they were proposing. Starting off from a low base it will now be £470. Living in very rural area and upped the voluntary excess to £500. I do also use for business.

MY19 HSE SDV6 Fuji White - roof rails + bars, privacy glass, HUD, adaptive LED, deployable tow bar, 360º cameras, side steps.
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

I think it’s pretty well-known now by all, and insurance companies that 2018 to 22 Range Rovers were at risk. And all the reported thefts scared the industry. I think over the last year, the updates and the security updates in the new model D5 have helped to bring premiums back down to a realistic level.
    Ours is about £600 which is less than they wanted for our VW California.

2023 Dynamic-R Metropolitan Edition D300MHEV
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

When I got my 24MY D300 Dynamic SE, annual insurance dropped by £130 vs 20MY SDV6 Landmark, both with fitted trackers. Was expecting increase.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum