Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• RegG
    United Kingdom 

"Low Battery, Please Start Engine" Message

My D5 is a 2020 model year. Over the last few months I have had the "Low Battery, Please Start Engine" message appearing on the screen. This has happened a few times, especially during cold weather and when the car has been standing unused for a few days.

The dealer replaced the battery (at great expense!!!) three days ago and I thought all would be well. However, the message appeared again today - I had driven some 26 miles and was doing some work on a house and had left the rear hatch open for half an hour or so. Having locked the car up and returning to it probably 15 minutes later the rear hatch would not open on its own, the message appearing on the dash! I started the engine for just a couple of minutes and all seemed to rectify itself.

I spoke to the dealer and they want me to leave the car with them overnight to see if there is any drain on the battery?!

Has anyone else had this problem and, if so, what was the outcome/repair?

Thanks in anticipation.

2020 Discovery Landmark 3.0 SDV6, Portofino Blue
  • BBDisco5
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

I often get that message after opening and closing the doors or tailgate a few times when washing the car and eventually the tailgate won't open or close until the car is started.

I also have a Ctex battery monitor fitted and the low battery message can pop up on the dash when the Ctex is showing 80% charge.
  • Loz
    United Kingdom 

I’ve had this loads of times when Camping with the back door left open as all the lights are on inside for quite a long time opening and closing the tailgate lots of times just drains the 12 V battery. Fortunately it can start using the 48 V system from the MHEV so always seems to start. I’ve fitted a, battery charger permanently by the battery so when we are Camping, I can also plug the car into the hook up and keep the battery charged up.

2023 Dynamic-R Metropolitan Edition D300MHEV
  • PRH
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Sd4 (180) HSE Lux Indus Silver

Sadly it seems very common. I have always had it on a MY19. Have had a new battery and it’s still persistent. My original battery went flat which eventually took out the tracker battery. The new car battery then went flat which can’t have done it much good 😳. Took the car to an indi to diagnose with nothing much found draining it. Since then, touch wood, it has remained charged when parked but still the warning on the dash. I sometimes use a CTEK which clears it for a week or so but it always comes back. I try to ignore it but it does get through

See also https://disco5.co.uk/forum/thread3516.html
  • RegG
    United Kingdom 

Thanks for the replies..... It does seem to be a relatively common issue. I had the same problem on a Discovery Sport but a new battery (under warranty) seemed to cure it. The car has been left for a couple of days and all is well so I can't see what the dealer will achieve by keeping the car overnight!

I think I will see how it goes before letting the dealer have it in again.

Thanks again for the replies.

2020 Discovery Landmark 3.0 SDV6, Portofino Blue
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

I have had this message pop up innumerable times with old and replacement batteries.

If there is a significant drain leading to a flat battery, it should be measurable and diagnosable. Sadly that brings us back to the time honoured belief that dealers technicians skills and JLR interest are wanting.

Most of the time a very short journey has been enough to stop the message appearing which did make me feel there was a very high bar set for the early warning message, if it can be cleared with a 5/6mile drive.

I do wonder if there is more than one battery drain issue ‘out there’.
  • eelpout
    United States 

my '22 D5 does this all the time. just sitting for a few days unused will bring it up.

it almost seems like the OEM spec battery (900 cca?) doesn't take into account the idle electrics going on.

i was thinking of replacing the battery, but from what I read here it may not accomplish much. i guess i should check the resting voltage to at least see where it's at.
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum