Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Collected it - and it's fab

Finally got the car home - been wiating for me at the dealers while I was in Asia. Thought I would post some pics - first impressions next time.... Loving the titanium mesh trim on the Dynamic Pack....

• PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Excellent Thumbs Up

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Well that's pleasant on the eye Thumbs Up
  • J77
    Scotland 

Looking good, I like the blue stitching on the leather.

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • Road Runner 2017
    Scotland 
    2018 Discovery Si6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Love the 2 tone wheels. Seems too match the colour of the car Thumbs Up
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Nice
    No mater what colour combo they come in they all seem to look good Cool

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • max099
    Austria 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Thumbs Up nice!
    Is this Indus?

D3 - MY 2008 (gone)
    RRS - MY 2010 (gone)
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 

It's Aruba - but the sunlight washed it out a bit......

Thanks for the comments guys - road test review when I'm back from my travels again.....
  • Craigp
    England 

Looks really nice. I'm beginning to think I've not spec'ed mine up enough
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 

I wouldn't worry about spec - it's an expensive game. The GFV on the lease is the same whether you add options or don't, so it's an expensive capriche. Even after a couple of days, there are some spec items I would now probably drop (I'm really not sure about lane keeping assist).
  • rsr
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Indus Silver

Nice... Cool
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 

Guys

Have had the chance to give the car a few drives now and thought I would feed back first impressions:-

Country Driving

I've come out of a 2012 (Series 1) RRS, and the Disco definitely rolls around a lot more. It has no grip problems, but does lean a bit but, to be honest, I'm quite happy with that because it's a fair trade off for a much more sumptuous ride than the RRS, which was very crashy. The car is big - and you feel it on the country roads where I live - it feels much bigger than my old RRS but that might be my nerves trying to avoid a mirror collision. Braking is not great, if I'm honest, but the brakes may still be bedding in. I jumped on the anchors today and thought it was quite spongy - let's see how they fare over the coming weeks. Would be interested to hear what others tink.

Motorway Driving

It's magnificent on the motorway. Smooth, quiet, cossetting and very quiet. The best motorway cruiser I've ever had (including my old Q7 and the current 2016 FFRR that my wife is running around in). If you give it some welly, it will pick up its skirts and go, even at speeds well above the legal limit. You could easily munch your way across the continent in it.

Seat comfort - front and rear

Front is great - loads of adjustability. I find the way the winged headreast crease to be a bit annoying (I know - first world problem but if BA can deal with this, then so can LR). Generally, the leather seems to crease where seats have been folded (same is true of my wife's DS) and I haven't had this issue on previous Land Rovers or on my Q7. I wonder if it's the Windsor Leather?

My 15 year old is just shy of 5'11'' and was very happy in the back during a 1.5 hour run this week. I think the lolling nature of a teen is very different to the sit up and beg position we all take when we sit in the back of a car in the showroom, and the monstrous legroom in the D5 really suits that more lazy seating position.

Infotainment

It's streets ahead of old JLR tech, but it isn't as good as Audi, and the interface isn't as intuitive as it could be (why don't these car companies steal a tech designer from the phone companies?). I love the Spotify connectivity on Incontrol but it's quite hard to navigate around it without going back through menu layers. Given that I've got the big Meridian system, I would like Tidal as an option too, but that isn't available, Frankly, the choice of Apps is poor and needs to be expanded. The layout of the screen on Navigation is odd (Nav to the right, roadworks to the left) but that may be configurable so I need to spend some time on it. Equally, if I have it split screen, with audio as the main bit of real estate and NAV on the left, it doesn;t actually show the NAV screen, just which road I'm on - maybe there's a way for it to really multifunction (like windows on a PC) but I haven't found it yet

I have put a data SIM in and the kids like it for the wifi. I used it for satellite maps for a few days but actually find the old cartoon style maps easier to follow. I haven't been anywhere yet that gives me a 3d building view.... The satelite map seems to chew data at a very rapid rate.

I'm still getting to grips with the seat fold but what I would say is that there is no failsafe to stop you raising and lowering seats with the parcel shelf fixed, which is cheap and dumb, and which would have just needed a simple microswitch. I love the ability to drop the headrests from the driver's seat - massively improves rear visibility.

My kids love the RSE and it seems to enable you to choose three different TV channels (left. right, front) which is a really neat feature and must mean it has three tuners. They can also each chose their own music source and have declared that they will never travel in their mum's car again! Problem is I have three of them and two sets of headsets - let battle commence!

Sunroof

I specced the opening sun roof - nco. However, it only opens half way so is a bit of a waste of time tbh. If the fixed roof has a bigger glasshouse, it may be a better option.

Dynamic Pack

I love the dynamic pack - I think it makes the car look more purposeful and the interior with the blue piping, titanium mesh, black headlining and blue piped floor mats is really special. I know it's a caprice and
    does nothing dynamically but, as Ferris says to camera when discussing the GT California "it is so choice - I highly recommend it, if you have the means" Wink)

Options

My adapative lights don't adapt so either they are much less obvious than on my RRS in terms of turning into the corners, or LR forgot to fit them. More investigation needed. The HUD is the same as on my wife's DS and, hence, not very good, but I do think it's worth having to enable you to keep your eyes on the road. I like the adaptive cruise control but the lane keeping assist is not an autonomous driving system like the Merc or Audi so, if you're after a safety system that (may) catch you if you fail, it's OK but, if you're expecting to be able to let the car steer its way down the M3 roadworks, forget it. It's taking a bit of getting use to when I cut the corner on my local country roads and it tries to steer me back into my lane!

I went for the full parking pack and it is genuinely good. This is a big vehicle and I think the self parking is a neat feature. I also have the Homelink which is much easier to set up than in my wife's DS - they've obviously upgraded a bit.

I dropped the deployable tow bar because I didn't want to wait and have the detachable one. Haven't tried fitting it yet but I'm not sure if the rear panel has to be removed like on the old RRS/Disco, or if it and the electrics just drop down below it. There is a little flap in the rear panel which seems to be for removing the cover to get to the towing eye, but it is really flimsy and I'm nervous messing around with it without looking at the manual.

Overall

It's a huge step up from my RRS in terms of comfort, refinement and technology. From the front, I think it looks fantastic, I can live with the back, but it it does have a big booty. I think the rear LED lights do help the look though as they are super cool. I also have a Porshce 991 Targa and I have had many more looks driving the D5 than I have driving the Porker - I've been stopped and asked for opinions and there seems to be genuine interest and love for the car. Am I glad I got it - no question. It's not quite as swish as a FFRR but, like for like, it's 30k cheaper and has two extra seats. I hope it doesn't let me down because, at the moment, I am besotted!!!

Happy to try and answer any other questions. Cheers

Phil

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • Huxey
    Canada 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Thanks for this. Much appreciated.

HSE Lux TD6 Carpathian Grey, 20" Black Pack + loaded with options.
    Previously: 2011 BMW X5 MSport 35i Carbon Black
  • bullova06
    United Kingdom 

Phil B wrote:
    Guys

Have had the chance to give the car a few drives now and thought I would feed back first impressions:-

Country Driving

I've come out of a 2012 (Series 1) RRS, and the Disco definitely rolls around a lot more. It has no grip problems, but does lean a bit but, to be honest, I'm quite happy with that because it's a fair trade off for a much more sumptuous ride than the RRS, which was very crashy. The car is big - and you feel it on the country roads where I live - it feels much bigger than my old RRS but that might be my nerves trying to avoid a mirror collision. Braking is not great, if I'm honest, but the brakes may still be bedding in. I jumped on the anchors today and thought it was quite spongy - let's see how they fare over the coming weeks. Would be interested to hear what others tink.

Motorway Driving

It's magnificent on the motorway. Smooth, quiet, cossetting and very quiet. The best motorway cruiser I've ever had (including my old Q7 and the current 2016 FFRR that my wife is running around in). If you give it some welly, it will pick up its skirts and go, even at speeds well above the legal limit. You could easily munch your way across the continent in it.

Seat comfort - front and rear

Front is great - loads of adjustability. I find the way the winged headreast crease to be a bit annoying (I know - first world problem but if BA can deal with this, then so can LR). Generally, the leather seems to crease where seats have been folded (same is true of my wife's DS) and I haven't had this issue on previous Land Rovers or on my Q7. I wonder if it's the Windsor Leather?

My 15 year old is just shy of 5'11'' and was very happy in the back during a 1.5 hour run this week. I think the lolling nature of a teen is very different to the sit up and beg position we all take when we sit in the back of a car in the showroom, and the monstrous legroom in the D5 really suits that more lazy seating position.

Infotainment

It's streets ahead of old JLR tech, but it isn't as good as Audi, and the interface isn't as intuitive as it could be (why don't these car companies steal a tech designer from the phone companies?). I love the Spotify connectivity on Incontrol but it's quite hard to navigate around it without going back through menu layers. Given that I've got the big Meridian system, I would like Tidal as an option too, but that isn't available, Frankly, the choice of Apps is poor and needs to be expanded. The layout of the screen on Navigation is odd (Nav to the right, roadworks to the left) but that may be configurable so I need to spend some time on it. Equally, if I have it split screen, with audio as the main bit of real estate and NAV on the left, it doesn;t actually show the NAV screen, just which road I'm on - maybe there's a way for it to really multifunction (like windows on a PC) but I haven't found it yet

I have put a data SIM in and the kids like it for the wifi. I used it for satellite maps for a few days but actually find the old cartoon style maps easier to follow. I haven't been anywhere yet that gives me a 3d building view.... The satelite map seems to chew data at a very rapid rate.

I'm still getting to grips with the seat fold but what I would say is that there is no failsafe to stop you raising and lowering seats with the parcel shelf fixed, which is cheap and dumb, and which would have just needed a simple microswitch. I love the ability to drop the headrests from the driver's seat - massively improves rear visibility.

My kids love the RSE and it seems to enable you to choose three different TV channels (left. right, front) which is a really neat feature and must mean it has three tuners. They can also each chose their own music source and have declared that they will never travel in their mum's car again! Problem is I have three of them and two sets of headsets - let battle commence!

Sunroof

I specced the opening sun roof - nco. However, it only opens half way so is a bit of a waste of time tbh. If the fixed roof has a bigger glasshouse, it may be a better option.

Dynamic Pack

I love the dynamic pack - I think it makes the car look more purposeful and the interior with the blue piping, titanium mesh, black headlining and blue piped floor mats is really special. I know it's a caprice and
    does nothing dynamically but, as Ferris says to camera when discussing the GT California "it is so choice - I highly recommend it, if you have the means" Wink)

Options

My adapative lights don't adapt so either they are much less obvious than on my RRS in terms of turning into the corners, or LR forgot to fit them. More investigation needed. The HUD is the same as on my wife's DS and, hence, not very good, but I do think it's worth having to enable you to keep your eyes on the road. I like the adaptive cruise control but the lane keeping assist is not an autonomous driving system like the Merc or Audi so, if you're after a safety system that (may) catch you if you fail, it's OK but, if you're expecting to be able to let the car steer its way down the M3 roadworks, forget it. It's taking a bit of getting use to when I cut the corner on my local country roads and it tries to steer me back into my lane!

I went for the full parking pack and it is genuinely good. This is a big vehicle and I think the self parking is a neat feature. I also have the Homelink which is much easier to set up than in my wife's DS - they've obviously upgraded a bit.

I dropped the deployable tow bar because I didn't want to wait and have the detachable one. Haven't tried fitting it yet but I'm not sure if the rear panel has to be removed like on the old RRS/Disco, or if it and the electrics just drop down below it. There is a little flap in the rear panel which seems to be for removing the cover to get to the towing eye, but it is really flimsy and I'm nervous messing around with it without looking at the manual.

Overall

It's a huge step up from my RRS in terms of comfort, refinement and technology. From the front, I think it looks fantastic, I can live with the back, but it it does have a big booty. I think the rear LED lights do help the look though as they are super cool. I also have a Porshce 991 Targa and I have had many more looks driving the D5 than I have driving the Porker - I've been stopped and asked for opinions and there seems to be genuine interest and love for the car. Am I glad I got it - no question. It's not quite as swish as a FFRR but, like for like, it's 30k cheaper and has two extra seats. I hope it doesn't let me down because, at the moment, I am besotted!!!

Happy to try and answer any other questions. Cheers

Phil

Excellent, honest feedback.
    The words on the rear seat room are interesting as regards the way younger people sit.
    Hope it keeps going well.
    What do you tow on a regular basis ?
    Thanks.

"time on my hand"
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 

TBH I tow an unbraked single axle trailer to the dump, and a bike rack, so nothing serious. I don't really need serious towing ability.

I do carry my wife and kids on my back 24/7, however. Does that count? 😄

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum