Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• S2bear
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Creaky dashboard

Anyone else suffering from this?
    It was a pretty solid and quality affair until the warm weather today and now the centre top of the dashboard makes a loud creaking/clicking when accelerating or decelerating (gently), I can replicate the noise just by pushing on the centre of the dash with light pressure above the vents. I can put up with lots of things but this isn't one of them. Wondered if anyone had similar problems and an easy fix in mind. Stu
  • J77
    Scotland 

Nothing on my one but my 12MY D4 had a creaky dash. It was a simple fix........

Traded it in for a Disco Sport Laughing

18MY Velar R-Dynamic SE D240 Fuji White
  • dlks151
    Scotland 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Montalcino Red

My D4 had it, two visits to the dealers and they couldnt find evidence of the problem, yet within 5mins of driving away from their workshop it was quite apparent.

The D5 has been fine so far, saying that I've only driven it a few times and done 350mls since collection..
  • Russell
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 First Edition Namib Orange

Not noticed that so far

Namib Orange 1st Edition with black roof and wheels.
    Privacy, tow bar, drive pack, surround camera, heated front & rear seats, auto dim door mirrors, side steps, remote Pro, RSE, arm rest fridge dash cam front and rear.
  • DiscoStu
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Carpathian Grey

Nothing more annoying though Evil or Very Mad
  • J77
    Scotland 

There is something on topix about dashboard gaps, could be related?

• PeterW
    England 

Hi J77 can anyone read the Topix information?

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • J77
    Scotland 

Anyone can log on but you need a paid subscription to view the details Thumbs Up

• PeterW
    England 

J77 Smile
    Thanks for that, some useful stuff there. Wonder if Martin is going for th group buy ?

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

It's not related to creaks, rather gaps and build quality. See below (cannot figure how to share PDFs directly on Disco5!)

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AtGmt20Z6ytwhZEkXcSW_6ibMMhOFg
  • Grianaig
    Scotland 

Had creaky dashboards intermittently in various cars. Seemed to vary according to weather related relative humidity in the car. My own hypothesis was that in very dry weather the dry air inside did not give any water vapour lubrication to the tightly fitting panels. Normally there was enough atmospheric humidity in the car to enable slight movement between the panels. That was my deduction. May be utter nonsense of course.

MY 2014 D4 Indus XS
    MY2006 D3 Zermatt S Manual
  • ravenkat
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Scotia Grey

Seeing the same problem with my Discovery and was wondering what the fix for this was.

I picked up my new Disco5 from the dealer 9 days back and so far its been all good except for the creaky dash. Its exactly the same problem and I notice it more during acceleration/deceleration and goes away if I apply pressure on the dash above the vent. I have reported the problem to dealer and waiting for response.
  • S2bear
    United Kingdom 

HI there, If it's the passenger side central vent area, try opening the upper glove box and applying pressure the the black trim that's revealed next to the vertical aluminium strip that runs the whole height of the dash. There may be some give in this and you may be able so squeeze a rubber disc washer (2-3mm thick) behind the vertical alu trim and in front of the internal glove box surround.

I left the washer just sitting half in half out and you could not see this at all when the glove box lid was closed and when the lid was open you still didn't really notice it as it's just a black rubber disc. it resolved the problem 95% on mine.

let me know if this works. You shouldn't really have to do this on a 9 day old car but sometimes it's better than having a tech pull the dashboard apart because that could be a can of worms which ends up squeaking somewhere else! Good luck. Stu
  • roverdawgpac
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 First Edition Farallon Black

I have it intermittently on mine. Coming from the top left side of the dash. If I push down on it, it seems to go away for awhile. With the exception of that, everything's been flawless up to this point. Well, except Day 1 when i heard a loud metal clanging sound coming from beneath the vehicle when going over bumps! I pinpointed it to a crimped heat shield touching the spare wheel. Bent it back into place and problem solved.
  • ravenkat
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Scotia Grey

Found what was causing the creaks. It seems to be from the plastic trim cover of the air-condition vents. Most likely this was not fitted correctly during build which was causing it to creak. Applied some pressure on it and it seemed to click into place. No creaking anymore, at least for now (fingers crossed)...
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum