Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Jolty revs, with rev counter jumping up & down - what's up?

Thought I noticed this coming across the Isle of Skye the other day, but after a couple of runs up and down the Uists these last few days I've now noticed it a lot more.

If I'm holding a steady speed, somewhere between 40 and 50 it seems to happen, then for no reason whatsoever the smooth engine note will seems to become jolty and the rev counter will bounce up and down a little, and you might lose 1-2mph. Yes the roads are bumpy up here, and yes it's been blowing a gale, but this is not my foot bouncing on the throttle.

Will try it out tomorrow in cruise control mode to test theory, but it's almost like the car is jumping up and down between gears and can't decide what gear to be in. I don't recall it every doing it before the last week or so.

Engine has 11k miles on it. Car is 9 months old.

Any clues?

Video to view: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z0pj5p8p9og...6&dl=0

Any advice much appreciated, as my limit with cars is doing the fuel, washer fluid and air in the tyres! For anything else, I have to ask....

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • SJT
    United Kingdom 

My D300 does the same when on Cruise-Control (the reason I don't use it much as it drives me nuts) but I've not noticed it otherwise.

It will be interesting to see if it's a common thing!

D300 HSE Commercial - Previously 90HT, D4, D4, D4, D2, D1 (3 door V8!)
  • discus
    United Kingdom 

I experienced similar behaviour the other day in strong gusty wind with cruise control on, around 40mph I think. Certainly got my attention. Doesn't seem to have done it since. Almost new D300.

2024 Discovery Metropolitan D300 - Offroad & Towing Packs - Varesine Blue
    2019 Discovery HSE SDV6
  • 747_JK
    United Kingdom 
    2022 Discovery SDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Ah. Interesting you say in strong winds. These examples I've noticed were all on days with wind speed between 30 and 70mph. You could be on to something, but I'll keep a close eye on it.

I'll also give it a proper test with cruise control activated, as the OP suggests too.

MY23.5 D5 3.0 MHEV Metropolitan Edition – Santorini Black – Ebony Windsor Leather – 21” Style 5025 gloss black wheels – 21” full size spare tyre – Black roof rails – Black side mouldings - Williams Ceramic Coat. [Gone: D5 HSE @ 50,795miles: (now LH68 BYW)]
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum