Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Adaptive LEDs

Hi guys

First night time drive last night. The LED main beam is like a military search light ! Unbelievable power. Quick question to anyone that has specced the adaptive LEDs. On my previous Disco 3 and RRSE you could visibly see the lights swing left and right into corners and, in this car, try as I might I couldn't seem to get them to swing. How can I tell if LR have fitted the right lights!? If there's an option in the set up, I would have thought this was already activated.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Phil
  • winger
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Aintree Green

The startup dance, which I rather liked, disappeared some time ago.

I have adaptives on both my D4s, and they no longer dance.

How can you tell? That's pretty obvious at night on a country road to my mind. You can see them swing with the steering input.
  • AndrewS
    United Kingdom 
    2019 Discovery SDV6 HSE Silicon Silver

Not sure what mine do as I've not looked. I don't even know what spec lights I have apart from its a HSE with Feature Lighting.
    When I pull up to lets say a T junction where I can turn left or right, additional lights come on automatically on both sides of the car, I presume they are located in the lower bumper (again I've not looked) fair play they light up the road. These same lights come on individually with steering input when cornering.
    So on mine the main headlights don't move its additional lighting.
  • Scrumps
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Firenze Red

Re: Adaptive LEDs

Phil B wrote:
    Hi guys

First night time drive last night. The LED main beam is like a military search light ! Unbelievable power. Quick question to anyone that has specced the adaptive LEDs. On my previous Disco 3 and RRSE you could visibly see the lights swing left and right into corners and, in this car, try as I might I couldn't seem to get them to swing. How can I tell if LR have fitted the right lights!? If there's an option in the set up, I would have thought this was already activated.

Thanks for any enlightenment.

Phil

Hi,

We have the Adaptives - lots of unlit country road driving.

It's pretty obvious they are "following the road" - you can test them by driving down a straight, unlit road at about 30mph, and the 'wiggle the steering wheel" - you should see the beam pattern move from side to side.

Scrumps

Somerset - Where the apples do grow and the cider do flow!
    17MY D5 HSE / 16MY RRS2 A/B / 05 Defender90 CSW
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

AndrewS wrote:
    Not sure what mine do as I've not looked. I don't even know what spec lights I have apart from its a HSE with Feature Lighting.
    When I pull up to lets say a T junction where I can turn left or right, additional lights come on automatically on both sides of the car, I presume they are located in the lower bumper (again I've not looked) fair play they light up the road. These same lights come on individually with steering input when cornering.
    So on mine the main headlights don't move its additional lighting.

Yes mine do this, like an intelligent improved version of the cornering lights

I have adaptive LEDs. Not sure you would notice the "swing" when the auto main beam comes into play as you say they could light up a football stadium!

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • PeterW
    England 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Corris Grey

Nice & bright 😊

Peter
    HSE 3.0 V6 Diesel Corris Grey
  • Phil B
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Aruba

Dealer assures me I have the adaptive lights, but that they are a different system to the old RRS system on my 2012 car, so they don't do the same thing. He explained they are a flat beam projection so that they don’t blind oncoming drivers if you use the car abroad - I have no idea what this means!

I get absolutely zero swing left and right when I corner, and there are no obvious moving parts in there. I wonder if they just selectively switch on and off the different L EDs that sit across the top of the lights in the individual little "bunkers"

Those that have them on an HSE with the pack with the HUD etc, do you see them visibly turning into corners?

Thanks

Phil

Mar 2017 HSE Luxury,
    Dynamic Pack - Aruba
  • Craigp
    England 

Not seen any movement in mine either. Only thing is the light that comes on when turning left or right at low speeds.
  • Craig_d1
    United Kingdom 

Not seeing any swing on our lights either. Car goes in to dealership in a couple of weeks to fix a few things...will bring it up then...I'll be a tad annoyed if they forgot to put the adaptive lights on our car.
  • RyanRC
    United States 

I don't know if any of this info will be helpful, but after reading this thread I looked into this and this is some info I found at least for me for primarily a HSE gas build and here in the US

Back on 4/22 I did a web build off the US site and saved it to a pdf to send to the sales person I am working with so I could get some hard numbers for my choices, and I can't remember if it was from the beginning part where you choose stuff from the Exterior View, or later in the Optional Features section when I chose the Vision Assist Package, but for that part in the pdf file I saved, it listed for one part of that package "Adaptive LED Headlights with LED Signature Auto High Beam Assist (AHBA)" and the packages total cost was $1,200.

I just redid these yesterday as I wanted to look at pricing either a 5 or 7 seater, and I noticed in those for that same section now it reads only "LED Headlights with LED Signature Auto High Beam Assist (AHBA), and as well for the whole package is only now only $1,000. As well btw does not show as part of the package at the place you select that.

Also to note, while your UK build site seems to still show that headlight option in the Exterior View part, ours currently does not.

So next I went to the Sales Brochure and on page 89 for me under the options for the Headlights and Lighting section, for the HSE and HSE Lux, the straight LED is standard under option code # 064GK, but then next is the Adaptive LED which is under option code # 064GJ, which does come with 2 notes one of them being is only available with the Vision Assist Package.

Oddly, later under the section for the option packages on page 99, it shows the options code # 041CB for the Vision Assist Package and that includes the Adaptive LED.

In getting back to your UK site, again you can pick the Adaptive in the beginning, but then later it also lists that at least for the HSE as part of a Technology Package, which if you don't pick that shows the Adaptive in the summery for a cost, but then if you do is just lists it as LINK in the same section at the beginning and then as part of that package later.

Interestingly in the UK brochure on page 89 there are some slight variations to what I just described above in mine, then on page 101 for the package options there are quite a few variations which are kinda to much to list here so I might suggest you pick one up or download it from the LR site, but one odd one to point out is for the Vision Assist Package as even though it lists it as part of the package there is also a note numbered (3) that then has for part of that note at the bottom that reads, "Adaptive LED headlights with LED signature only available with signature hi-line tail lights"

Guess my overall point to all this is, it kinda seems possible under certain conditions to get either or, and perhaps you can check your order or build sheets or window stickers or what ever else does show this info and see if you have the codes 064GK, or code 064GJ and see what you actually have, or if perhaps you have the package that is supposed to have that, that it defiantly list it or if they actually don't as you left something else out.

One thing I will say and I know that was a long post and even did not include everything possible, that the options for this car are huge and I'm really seeing how you just can't always rely on the salesperson how ever nice they may be to let you know all as often..they don't even know (or perhaps care). So you have to be the one to go over just about every little detail as for what comes with what, and what can get taken out if you chose this thing or another as the possibilities of either is vast and so you have to be really attentive to be sure you are getting things if you want them.

In the end just to say to me for any possible ways I have ever seen adaptive lights...they do move and via some kind of modulating motors as there just is no other way to have them operate in the seamless way as they would have to. So if LR came up with something new that works completely different, I would very interested to see how that happens.
  • Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

My HSE Lux US build details pulled from Topix, list both signature rear tail lights and adaptive LED's.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • RyanRC
    United States 

Thanks for the info, just to mention that I hope it did not come off the wrong way the way I put any of the above as nothing was meant to be offensive to anyone here, but along with hoping it was help to others, I was also hoping to gather info I could use to bring to my sales person just in case this became a issue.

So just was wondering Rockcypher as you look to be in the US....I would assume have not actually gotten the car yet to look at anything that might tell if you got that?

Also as well as I have never been to it with something I owned, does Topix list things with the option codes and if so, what do you have for this?

Thanks greatly for any info.
  • Rockcypher
    United States 
    2017 Discovery Td6 HSE Lux Waitomo Grey

No, unfortunately truck is on a slow boat from the UK, originally showed to be at dealer late May, now pushed back to Late June Censored Topix will list various options by name only, no codes are given , if you know your VIN number you can input it and vehicle will be retrieved, in the 'Vehicle Features' portion of the window, select the 'Show more vehicle features ' option, and a list titled 'Minor features', will open. Features are then listed.

2000 D2 (sold), 2004 D2 (sold), 2005 LR3 (Lives in CO), 2005 RR (sold), 2010 LR4 (sold), 2012 RR (sold), 2014 RR (sold), 2017 D5
  • jimbg
    United Kingdom 

I have an HSE with the Technology pack and my headlights look like this, not been out at night to try them yet!!

• Craig_d1
    United Kingdom 

I have the tech pack too, and adaptive lights are specified, but I get no bending(or movement of beams rahter) on corners..At slower speeds, I doo get the little lights that light up the sides when turning( but seeing as you get that on a Hyundai i10, I was hoping from a bit more with adaptive lights
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum