Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• PhilG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Santorini Black

Earth wires for Headlights

Hi Folks,
    Been searching about and haven’t found anything relating to a Disco 5 with an issue I had.

I have a 2018 Discovery Sd4.

Driving home from work on Monday I got a headlight system fault warning on the dash. Got home and my nearside headlamp was dead! No DRL or turning signal either. As I got home I also got a coolant level low warning. Had a look under the bonnet and wiggled some wires but that had no effect. I had to go to work again the next day and on getting there I locked my car or tried to but got a double bleep, checked all the doors and still couldn’t lock it. I then tried the disco app and saw that it said my bonnet was open, No it wasn’t.
    Well to cut a long story short, thought that all three systems only had one common component that being a ground wire so I set about trying to find a Disco 5 issue on Google that would maybe pinpoint where to look. I eventually found a post about a Range Rover Sport and a ground wire corrosion problem. The earthing point being hidden behind the plastic wheel liner on the passenger side. I could see the earth point from the engine bay and it was furry with corrosion, once I got to it I touched the earth wires which promptly fell off the post..

So just in case you have similar problems, check your earth wires before forking out on a new headlamp etc.

Hope this helps someone.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Yeah, I’ve got a similar problem on the drivers side minus the lock issue. I sussed it was possibly an earth problem and I knew the location of it, just by the wheel arch, but as I’ve got the LR warranty, I reported it via their protocol and the AA came out to me. I was Just waiting on a raft vehicle being available then to take it in and lo and behold this afternoon it started working properly again. Rolling Eyes

I’ll just let it play out and see what the dealer says when it goes in.

• PhilG
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Santorini Black

Hi, be interesting to see what JLR say the problem is, I dont have a JLR warranty anymore so had no option but to sort it myself. Have to say I was surprised how corroded the wires were. Here’s a pic of the corroded post and wires.

• Darras
    United Kingdom 

That’s bad!

I take it the photo is taken from the nearside wheel arch?

I’ve had a look from the bonnet and can’t see anything of the earth point.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Looks like a classic case of someone specifying incompatible metals for the contact parts.

In fairness, car batteries have only been around for 110 years, so it’s early days for JLR to get it right.
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Just got the phone call from the dealers. A new headlight was required. The wiring was all okay apparently.

Cost of new headlight was roughly £2k so I was told, then you have all the investigatory labour and setting up the new headlight.

Anyone thinking of not having a LR warranty after 3 years, beware, although the cost of the warranty went up this year to £1,440 incl. LRA, car hire.

Helps last of 6 LRs I’ve had & always serviced main dealer etc. Wink

That said, it will probably be my last. They aren’t cheap cars to run. In the last month I’ve had tyres, new disc pads and rotors all round, service and the warranty. Probably about £4k plus total. Then in August car tax and insurance, another £1k or more. Rolling Eyes
  • Darras
    United Kingdom 

Update, the same fault reoccurred. Took the car in again and they discovered the earth point corroded. All done on the LR warranty.

I did make a comment that maybe the new headlight wasn’t needed in the previous visit, but the service staff didn’t make comment on that one.🙄
  • Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum