Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Muddywheels
    England 

Possible order Discovery 5 D300 MHEV

After an absence since selling my last LR in 2016 I’m considering a return to the Green Oval so first off if anyone remember me I’d like to say “Hi”👋

Some of you may have seen my post on Disco3/4 which didn’t get the response I was hoping for but maybe I will do better here 🤞

It’s a long story but let’s just say the grass isn’t always greener on the other side 🤦‍♂️

I’m in need of a good tow vehicle for a 1900kg Coachman Lusso 1

I’ve narrowed down my choices to -

Range Rover Sport P440e or P460e

Land Rover Discovery 5 D300 MHEV

Land Rover Defender 110 P400e

Interested to get owners feedback before I sell my soul to the devil again 🤣

Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW
  • Trevorb1
    United Kingdom 
    2018 Discovery Td6 SE Corris Grey

Hi Muddywheels, and possibly welcome back, just for info, if buying new, D5 is now only D350, the D300 engine has been superceded for 25my.
    I considered a Defender 110 before buying my current D300 SE Dynamic, but ruled it out as boot is smaller, and there are issues of the spare wheel fouling the hitch, meaning you need to open rear door to hitch and unhitch, and the rear door fouls on jockey wheel when trying to open.
    Currently tow a Coachman twin axle at 1900kg, my D300 tows very well.

24MY D300 Dynamic SE, Fuji White, Deployable Towbar, full size spare.
    Gone 20MY SDV6 Landmark, Indus Silver, Deployable Towbar, 360 Cameras
  • Muddywheels
    England 

Thanks Trevor 👍

I’m considering used or new so that’s good to know on the engine 😎

I have seen posts on coachman group regarding the spare wheel and will bear that in mind 😳

The Defender I like outside and would prefer PHEV but the inside doesn’t look or feel as nice as the D5 - I wish the Disco was PHEV - the RRS is 🤔

Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW
  • Voyager
    United Kingdom 

Possible order Discovery 5 D300 MHEV

Hi
    First post here
    Just bought aD5 P360.MHEV
    Interested to see you are looking at a P. RRS or P. Defender but a D discovery.
    We are about to embark on our first towing mission with our Disco 5
    Bailey Alicanto 1700Kg
    Will let you know how we get on.
  • Muddywheels
    England 

Hi Voyager Thumbs Up

I really wanted PHEV D5 but as they didn't offer this was looking at Diesel in stock to compare but now ruled it out Sad

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

What's your thinking behind wanting a PHEV? And how long are you thinking of keeping it for?
  • Muddywheels
    England 

I’ve had 3 PHEV and they work for me - EV when I’m local and hybrid for long trips or towing Thumbs Up

No DPF worries or regeneration for a start due to short trips (7k miles Pa) - cheap off peak charging for vehicle and house too Mr. Green

Towing I’m getting similar figures to last RRS SDV6 but solo average was 80-108mpg over 5 years admittedly before we returned to caravan towing but last year was 49 mpg overall Confused

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/muddywheels

• Ian_S
    United Kingdom 

The reason I ask is that whilst DPF issues are gone in a hybrid, fuel in oil sadly is still a thing and so probably is much higher engine wear, as when being used mostly in hybrid mode, the engine is started at load and doesn't maintain normal temps... So as a long term ownership proposition I suspect PHEV's will become something of a ticking time bomb.

If however, you're getting it on a 3/4 year PCP from new then longevity doesn't matter!

I would get a test drive in a D5 with the new straight six diesel, it's a lovely thing, but, may not be suitable for your journeys between towing.

Personally I would avoid any Defender, Discovery or Range Rover with a 4 pot engine. I don't think they are man enough for the size of car. So that would include the current Defender PHEV.

So, if PHEV is the answer, the only option is the new RRS, which has the 6 cylinder petrol with the battery so should be more than up to the towing... but I still think there will be longer term issues. (Not just JLR if you google).

EDIT: Forgot to say - On the facelifted D5's, a lo-range box is just an option, so you'll need to look for a car that probably has the full towing pack installed as that mandates the lo-range box too. The off road pack gives lo-range and rear-diff.
  • Muddywheels
    England 

Sorry I never reported back but after test drive of a D5 D350 and P460e went for the RRS and collected just over a week ago Mr. Green

Unfortunately 5 days into ownership my retina detached and now recovering from emergency surgery so not able to drive at the moment Banging Head

I did manage to get a 290 mile trip done few days after collecting and I’m very happy so far to be back in a green oval Cool

• Chalkey
    England 
    2017 Discovery Sd4 (240) SE Indus Silver

Hope you recover quickly so you can drive that fabulous RRS 👍

MY 21 3.0 D250 S White, 20in wheels, twin sun roof, privacy glass, heated stirring wheel, roof rails, side steps & mud flaps and dash cam front & back..
    Gone 17reg 2.0 SE Silver, 21in black wheels, privacy glass, roof rails, side steps.
  • Muddywheels
    England 

Thank you 🙏

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum