Discovery 2017

↓ Advertise on DISCO5.CO.UK ↓

• Madrilleno
    England 
    2022 Discovery Si6 HSE Santorini Black

MOT emissions testers can cause battery drain

A good friend is a MOT tester for a national company has informed me about a warning that they have been sent regarding JLR vehicles and some types of emissions testing machines. I post it here for info.

Some MOT emission testing analyzers can cause battery drain in certain Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles. This happens when the instrument panel cluster receives a request for a diagnostics service that it doesn't support, preventing it from going to sleep. To prevent this, any device connected to the vehicle's OBD port, including MOT emissions analyzers, must be ISO14229 compliant.
    The DVSA issued a special notice in October 2022 about battery drain, which is still an issue as of April 2024. The notice includes information about changes to the MOT testing guide and inspection manual, recording annual training, and battery drain on Jaguar and Land Rover vehicles

Sorry, that’s all the info I have.

There are two rules for success,
    1. Never tell everything you know.
  • Wolfpack
    United Kingdom 
    2017 Discovery Si6 HSE Corris Grey

Apologies if I missing something here…but my car is in for its MOT next week.

Provided it hasn’t completely drained the battery such that it prevents you leaving the MOT station, won’t it simply recharge on the drive home?
  • Madrilleno
    England 

I believe it prevents the car from going to sleep until it’s fixed, so a restart won’t cure the drain.

• Madrilleno
    England 

Serendipitously, this appeared on FB today,

https://independentgarageassociation.co.uk...mber-2022/

Success! (well kinda) After 4ish years of Discovery ownership with my 2019 D5 I've built up my confidence and changed my oil three times now. After my last oil change the amber check engine light went off so took it to an auto parts store who stuck in a code reader and there were oxygen sensor errors. Again from reseaching the posts in this group and help from the group I bought a $50 replacement oxygen sensor and a $10 socket and replaced the oxygen sensor. The amber light didn't self clear after driving so I bought a code reader for $30 and cleared the errors. Check engile light off. SUCCESS! Very cool for me (a computer geek) to be able to do these kind of things myself. That saved a lot of money vs going to the dealer or a garage so thanks everyone for their help.
    Now the down side.
    The next time I went to use the car it was dead. Key fob wouldn't open the door. To shorten the story the 12 V battery was 3 V. Bought a battery jump starter for $50 and jump started the car. Battery still not charged. Took it to Auto Parts store (Die Hard battery) they charged it, ran a load test and said it looked good. Put it back in the car, started fine. Next morning, battery kaput 8 V. Jumped it again. Went for a highway / motorway drive to charge it and disconnected the battery. Let the battery sit overnight still 12 V. So something is draining the battery within the car. I saw this post saying for my model year if you stick in a OBD2 device the car still polls it draining the battery and there's a firmware fix that only the land rover dealer can do.
    Last time I stuck in the code reader I didn't exit diagnostics with the code reader before physically unplugging it. So I've tried that to see if that solves the drain. If that doesn't work I'll unplug the battery from the car for 24 hours and reconnect it and NOT plug in the OBD2 device and see if that solves the drain. I've had amber check engine lights go off in the past and had auto part store readers check it without triggering this battery drain problem.
    Any other advice from the hive mind? Is resetting the BMS system important enough to buy a $200ish more fancy code reader?

• Forum Permissions
  • You cannot create new threads in this forum
    You cannot reply to threads in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum